Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 18:16

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Question "Mike's Low Carb Gourmet Dinners"

The Stop and Shop circular for next week has an add that says "Save $1 off Mike's Low Carb Gourmet Dinners" (frozen). There is a page heading that S&S is now carrying Mike's Low Carb products. Doesn't say if they mean more than the frozen dinners. I did a search in the forum and in Google and got no hits.

Has anyone heard of or tried these dinners?

Not looking for gourmet just something quick and easy to take to work sometimes. It's getting hard to get up early enough to pack lunch. I don't use an alarm, don't need one. But it is SOOOOO hard to get out of bed in the dark, and it's only going to get worse. Soon it will be COLD and dark. Yuch!

Barb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 18:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I found this:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/..._food_show.html

and it had info if you scroll down.......maybe you can find more from there.

HTH
Heidi
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 19:17

BF:
Smile Found the web site

Heidi,

Thanks. Don't know why Google didn't find the site. The address is www.lowcarbgourment.com. According to Mike, the dinners are wonderful! 7-14 net carbs per meal. Not bad especially since I'm upping my carbs a bit as I get closer to goal. They also sell cheesecakes with 7 net carbs per slice.

I'll pick some dinners up Sunday and let everyone know how they are after I try them. Sure hope my store gets them in.

Barb

PS - The web site shows them as $8 a dinner. Sure hope they cost less in the store.

Last edited by fitznoski : Fri, Sep-26-03 at 19:21.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 20:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5

they were 4 for 20 something on qvc low carb show
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 20:33

Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian559
they were 4 for 20 something on qvc low carb show

I just caught the tail end of the QVC show today, anything new???
Heidi
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 22:42

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

That URL should be http://www.lowcarbgourmet.com

They sure look good!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 01:20
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Heck, for $8-$20, I'd rather eat at a real restaurant! Nice to see someone offering low carb products tho!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 02:04

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_Neener
Heck, for $8-$20, I'd rather eat at a real restaurant! Nice to see someone offering low carb products tho!

I can do as well in my local chop house, too. We should start seeing some price competition in LC convenience foods when the big outfits manage to get their products to market...certainly in the next 3-6 months.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 03:55

Stats: 360/265/185 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:

Why not cook a roast or chicken on the weekend then divide leftovers into lunch portion sizes into freezer bags, freeze, then each morning take one to work then pop into microwave for lunch. Make a low carb home made soup,freeze, into individual containers,(portion size) microwave at lunchtime. A little preparation, lunches for the week.......
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 14:59
Registered Member

Stats: 224/204/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 31%

That's what I do Mikeman! I cook on Sundays - make enough meat for lunches and dinners, freeze about half of them in freezer bags (takes up less room in the freezer that way) and grab one for lunch every day - changing my choices daily (I usually will cook up two meats on Sundays and then the next week, two different kinds again). The only thing I do in the morning is put some salad into a container and lunch is complete! If you have any other suggestions, please let me know!
Mischa
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 17:00

BF:
Progress:

Sure thing, Another tip. Most food stores carry Bags of shredded cheeses, Cheddar,Mozzarella,Colby,taco blend etc... just sprinkle over some meat or vegetables(Broccolli,cauliflower,zuchinni,eggplant) and microwave at lunchtime. The melted cheese over your choice for lunch adds a new taste dimension to an otherwise lackluster lunch. A touch of soy sauce, garlic, horseradish sauce adds a special taste also to hohum lunces with little more prep. time. Take an empty wide mouth jar, set aside while you slowly saute' some garlic in pomace oil (cheapest variety of olive oil), a little butter for taste, let cool, pour the mixture into the wide mouth jar. Put some on some veggies after steaming then microwave for 1 min. and voila....tasty,tasty tasty. even for a snack.
hope I've given you a few ideas. I'll think of some more if you are still interested...Mikeman
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 17:39
Registered Member

Stats: 224/204/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 31%

That does sound delicious! If you have time, please post some more ideas! I do have cookbooks for LCing, but it's better to find out recipes from people who have tried them! Thank you very much!
Mischa
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 18:00
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Those look realy good, but they kind of remind me of my years of trying to eat one frozen meal only to crave two more. I think part of what helped put the weight on me was my dependence on fast food( be it frozen or drive threw).

Gabrielle
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:05

BF:
Thumbs up Picked up the dinners

Mikeman,

I do cook ahead when possible. Last week I made a turkey. Yesterday I made a gigantic pan of heroin wings (from Dana Carpender's book) using chicken legs. My problem with preparing food is that we've just opened our own business and there is just not enough time in the week to do everything. We were warned about how much time it would take to get the business up and running. DH is putting in 10+ hrs a day during the week, 5/6+ a day on weekends. I work 20 hours a week at my old job and then do the office and marketing for the new business (fire, water and mold restoration). Our youngest is 9 and special needs so we have to spend time with him, especially on the weekends. (OK, everyone needs and wants to spend time with their kids. He just needs a bit more attention than most 9 year olds plus we're all having a hard time adjusting to big sister being away at college.). I really appreciate your ideas for quick meals. I'm not a big salad eater so the cheese/dressings on vegi's/meat sounds like a great alternative. Have you ever used Thai fish sauce in your concotions? I'm really developing a taste for it. There is also a pre-mixed bottle of Thai spices available. Got in on sale and use it all the time. Sort of sweet/spicy (0 carbs). I usually accent it (more cumin, red pepper, coconut or whatever) to vary the flavor a bit.

I did pick up some of the dinners yesterday. They were $5.99. Pretty pricey and not too big. Chicken Marsala, Eggplant, Meatloaf (for DH) and some sort of beef. They look pretty good but we won't be trying them until the leftovers/precooked food runs out. Maybe as early as Wednesday since our daughter came home from college for the day yesterday and had a friend over for dinner. Didn't expect them so I lost one meal of leftovers for DH and myself. Much rather have the kids than the food.

I'm psyched about the low carb Bryers. Hope it doesn't cost more than the reqular stuff. Pick up Arnolds "Lower Carb" bread yesterday. 6 carbs a slice for a normal sized slice. My daughter made a sandwich and thought it tasted fine. So nice to be able to pick up low carb food at the regular grocery store.

Barb
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:32

BF:
Progress:

Barb, Time is precious some times there doesn't seem to be enough of it in the day. You've got the right idea, on occasion just a touch of sauce, dressing,cheese gives a change and produces a new taste sensation to common meals. Need a few new ideas? Take a small plastic bowl, cut a circle of waxed paper twice the size as the bowl opening, push the waxed paper inside. In a mixing bowl combine 8 oz. Philly cream cheese, 8 oz. Feta cheese, one frozen package of thawed frozen spinach (squeeze out all the water first) mix until creamy use a rubber spatula and put the mix into the plastic bowl. On top, layer strips of roasted red bell pepper, put into the refridgerator and chill several hours. When complete turn bowl upside down and pull out cheese mixture on to plate, dispose of waxed paper,add walnuts to top and you can nibble on this for days for a low carb snack or an addition to a salad or cold cut and swiss cheese rollup for a lunch.