Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 16:54

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%
Default I beat the carb monster last night!

Here's what's been happening to me. I go to sleep at night, even after having had a good day foodwise, then about an hour later I wake up with major growlies and all I can think of is carbs...pop tarts, cinnamon buns, cookies etc.

Well last night I woke up, went out into the kitchen, hubby had brought home a tray of cinnamon buns from work, I took one out, went to take a bite, then thought "NO, this will not 'make me feel better'" and put it back. YEAH.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 16:57
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Congratulations!!! You go girl. Maybe taking some l-glutamine at meals will help with the cravings. It might be a bit SAD related.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 19:02

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yay Jalera! I love how you are so honest in your journal! Woo-hoo to you for not succumbing last night! Hugs!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 03:12

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Jalera--I could have written that same post (several months ago).. I really don't know anyone else who has ever had that problem.. Before I started CAD-ing, I had those episodes almost every single night. I would go to sleep, and almost every night I would awake about an hour later--so weak, and hungry--it was all I could do to make it to the kitchen to get something. And believe me, I didn't want meat or cheese! There was one night that I was so weak that I dropped a 2 litre bottle of Diet Coke -- just slipped out of my hand, because I was too weak to hold it. And--there were so many nights that I would get up and go to the kitchen IN MY SLEEP to get something. I would have no memory of it the next morning, but would find snack cake wrappers on my bedside table. Oh-and if I ever took a daytime nap--yikes! I was secretly afraid that I was "losing it", and I just knew deep down that there was something terribly wrong with me. I just didn't know who to talk to about it.
I said all that to say this--My personal belief is that there is something that is setting you up for these cravings. In a physical way, not just because you want to eat. You are so right to think of taking your meds at rm, etc. All the things that you mentioned could possibly help you to isolate the problem. I really hope that you find the culprit soon. It's a miserable and scary thing to have happen. Don't know if this will help you or not, but have you tried eating a few bites of protein (and I KNOW it's not what you want during those times ) when you have those night time episodes? I'm thinking it might help calm you a little bit. Please keep us updated--I'm concerned for you..
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:06

Thank you Zule, Cori and Tess.

I don't think we can get L-glutamine in Canada, I have looked for it before.

Cori, I am honest because there's no one to fool except myself by not being honest!!

Tess, thanks for your concern...it didn't wake me up at all last night and I had a disjointed night, DS2 was in my bed twice! Do you have any suggestion what I should have ready, i.e. cheese, egg?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:21
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

Is your husband supportive of your diet? It seems like setting out a batch of cinnamon rolls doesn't really help you stay on your plan.

We got a couple of cases of frozen cookie dough and cake mixes through work a while back. Even if I have my cravings well in control, those are tempting. My husband and I always have desert together with dinner. Mine is usually an apple and a very small and sensible portion of cake or cookie dough - which he slices up and serves as he prepares his own. Would your hubby be willing to freeze the cinnamon rolls and split one with you (maybe you get a 1/4 of one) at reward meal time?

It's got to be really hard to stay on your plan if you are smelling yummy cinnamon rolls in your sleep and there's a tray of them calling your name. I sure hope your husband is interested in helping make the situation easier for you.

Lynda
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:51

My husband isn't non-supportive, he just has the attitude that it's his house too and he'll have what he wants in it. He really doesn't care if I lose weight or not, he loved me at 176 and he'll love me at whatever weigth I end up at.

He works for a catering business and left over food is part of the deal! It's his idea of "bringing home the bacon" LOL

I'm working on cheat free day #3 today, then the insulin levels should be back under control. Yeah.

Last edited by Jalera2003 : Sat, Sep-27-03 at 11:00.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 12:25

Plan: CAD
Stats: 158/145/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Jalera, way to go on your success. Those episodes are nasty but you did it. Putting down that cinnamon roll was another success which will make you stronger in the future. Sometimes when I have a major craving I tell myself it is my bodys way of wanting to hang on to the weight. If I can make it through this craving then I will be down in the morning or in a few days. It usually works out that way. It gives me more motivation to stay committed. Congrats again. Maybe you set yourself up for a whoosh!
Susan
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 12:30

BF:

Jalera--That's exactly what I have if I wake up at night (it's only happened twice since I've been on plan).. Just a bite or two of cheese or egg. Or a piece of 0 carb deli meat (like turkey).. And--some water.. Hope it will help you in some small way, if you decide to try it...
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 14:18

Quote:
Maybe you set yourself up for a whoosh!

Actually I'm down to 145.6 this am, the lowest in 10 years!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 16:42

BF:

Jalera---
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 07:55
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

Jalera 2003, good for you!! How tempting that would be with all that good food coming home from hubby's work.. You made me feel stronger today. there are days that are hard to fight with so you should be be very proud of yourself!!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 08:24

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

Janice,

Good for you!

When you wake up with the cravings, have you tried drinking water to see if it will help? Are you having too many carbs during your RM? Are you eating MSG, maybe without realizing it? Do you consume products like Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke that contain Nutrasweet and might trigger sugar cravings? (Just going over what triggers my problems)
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 11:22

Plan: CAD
Stats: 158/145/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Yahooo! way to go. What a great feeling. Lowest weight in 10 years! Next time you have those nite time munchies this will give you motivation to stay the course. Me too. CONGRATULATIONS!
Susan
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 03:46

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Wonderful!
Congrats on hitting a new low weight, especially since it has been hard for you these last few days, to get through the cravings. I would say make sure you have something that is satisfying to you at your RM, and then if you find yourself wanting more in the night, you can set a piece aside for the next night's meal. I used to get up and eat in the night but it was mostly because I wouldn't eat in front of my ex, so that was a good time. Sad.

You are doing great and you are right, the cravings should be diminished now that you have 3 days out from under your belt

Take care,
Tracy