Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-06, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I dont know...it seems like there is evidence on both sides, practically, yocheese doesnt bother me at all..it doesn't cause me to gain at all.....and I cant eat a lot....I love it! SO>>>YMMV
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-06, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

opps..I CAN eat a lot of yocheese.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 12:18
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 165/141/116 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:26%
Progress: 49%

Hi everybody, I'm really appreciating this thread. I have my own dairy cow, so lot's of milk and lots of yoghurt for everyone(except me right now). Anyway, if you can get your hands on whole milk, preferably untreated, you can send for some excellent cultures through Canada. I add it directly to the milk once it's filtered, then directly into a 95ish degree oven. It sits there for 24ish hours and it turns out thick and smooth!!! If I could sell it, I'd make a fortune! It's so good! And not runny, thank you very much! Also, it's comepletely "raw" still so it's full of all the good enzymes, x-factor, probiotics. It's worth searching for the good quality milk.
Just had to give my 2 cents!
Eden
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 20:06

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I am in OWL and enjoy Fage Greek Yogurt-it comes in a 7 0z container and has 6 carbs. It is thick and creamy like a pudding. I sweeten with sf syrups and add strawberries or blueberries, sometimes a little flax or unsweetened coconut and am losing. I sometimes stick this in the freezer for a cold creamy treat.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 14:55

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecklFluf
Interesting post. I'm not that big of a yogurt fan myself, but I do like it from time to time. Actually, I probably wouldn't miss flavored yogurt at all, nor plain (sorry, Doreen), but oh my, I could eat tzatziki every single day of my life, even if I had to make the yogurt from scratch all the time.

A former Indian coworker of mine (still Indian, I presume, but we no longer work together) told me that in India they basically just have a running culture and always have some brewing. I've also found that the homemade is not runny once you drain the whey from it.

Does anyone happen to know what is contained in the WHEY portion of the yogurt?

Decades ago, I read that one was always supposed to stir the whey back into the yogurt, because that's where all the vitamins were.

? ? ?
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 19:46

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Does anyone happen to know what is contained in the WHEY portion of the yogurt?

Decades ago, I read that one was always supposed to stir the whey back into the yogurt, because that's where all the vitamins were.

? ? ?

Sorry, can't answer your question ... but your comment about vitamins made me laugh. When I was a kid, my mom told me to eat the breadcrusts, 'cause that's where the vitamins were. I believed her ....

Rachel
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 20:09

BF:

LOL, I am with ya!!

Seems there is simply so much pure folklore that goes by the name, 'Nutrition,' even nowadays, so much of the stuff reported sounds ridiculously unscientific.

But, anyway, we both know its a FACT that the Crust Of Thee Bread is the most nutritious, right??

I would like to find out what is in the whey - somewhere around here, it was claimed that the whey was filled with carbs - and Little.Miss.Muffett would fall off her Tuffett if she found that out!
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-09, 21:56

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
I would like to find out what is in the whey - somewhere around here, it was claimed that the whey was filled with carbs - and Little.Miss.Muffett would fall off her Tuffett if she found that out!

Considering that skim milk is higher carbs than cheese, I guess it's quite likely that many of them are in the whey.

There's a type of Norwegian cheese, called gjetost (pronounced yeh' toast) that is apparently made from goat milk whey. Those of us who grew up with it think it's really great (my kids and DH disagree -- more for me!)

The package says for a 30 gram serving, there's 12 grams of carbs and 12 grams of sugar?? I wonder if goat milk is actually that high in lactose or if that's added sugar, or ..... ????. I guess I'd better investigate!

However, if I can maintain at this level while indulging in a little of this cheese once in awhile, I'm gonna go for it!!!!
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 05:58

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

According to the USDA database

Whey, acid, fluid
has 12.5 carbs per cup
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 06:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen

Whey, acid, fluid
has 12.5 carbs per cup

Wow, did you happen to notice if it said anything about vitamin & mineral content?

TWELVE and a half carbs per cup is amazing -- but a full cup of whey seems like quite a bit, doesn't it?
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 07:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen

Whey, acid, fluid
has 12.5 carbs per cup

OMG - I just checked out your search, and there's PROTEIN in whey, and all sorts of Vitamins & Minerals. Somewhere in one of the threads discussing yogurt that I read yesterday, someone mentioned that in India, the whey is always given to ill children, that it's considered super nutritious.

I'll probably have to print out the search results for both YOGURT and for WHEY -- but I'm pretty sure it'll just confuse me more, LOL.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 11:36

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/150/165 Female 69 inches
BF:22% (calipers)
Progress: 123%

Quote:
OMG - I just checked out your search, and there's PROTEIN in whey, and all sorts of Vitamins & Minerals. Somewhere in one of the threads discussing yogurt that I read yesterday, someone mentioned that in India, the whey is always given to ill children, that it's considered super nutritious.

I'll probably have to print out the search results for both YOGURT and for WHEY -- but I'm pretty sure it'll just confuse me more, LOL.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Hi, I make yoghurt for a living. The milk used to make yoghurt undergoes a high heat treatment to incorporate the whey proteins into the yoghurt curd, so any liquid that "wheys" off yoghurt will actually be much lower in protein than whey from cheese-making. Yoghurt whey will contain lactose, minerals like caclium (probably most of the calcium as it is largely soluble in acid yoghurt), and any water soluble vitamins that survive the heat treament like riboflavin, which gives the whey its colour. The bacteria also make some vitamins during the fermentation process, B12 is one and this might be higher in the whey (I don'y know this for a fact, though).
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 11:44

BF:

Thank you!! It's so complicated for a lay person.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 11:17

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

I have been making yogurt at home using heavy cream. It is wonderful I am assuming it has much less carbs and is so easy to make
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-10, 19:47

Plan: High fat
Stats: 123/128/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Well, I can generally confirm the number of carbs in something by the effect on my blood sugar (glucose will go up 5 per gram). So, I followed the low carb instructions (started w/Half & Half, cooked for 20 hours, strained) and I can confirm the result was a very sour (but yummy w/sweetener), *very* low carb yogurt. Minimal blood sugar impact. So, I think Dr. GoDiet is on to something.