Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287/284/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Plain Greek yoghurt with a teaspoon of splenda and a little cream. Yum!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 09:59

Plan: prev atkins, now NHE
Stats: 174/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default greek yoghurt

Greek yoghurt is yoghurt with some of the whey strained out - and that removes both the sourness and the lactose left in the whey, which is why it is lower in carb count than regular yoghurt.

Depending on the brand, GY is around 4 carbs per 100g which translates to 9g carb per US cup (regular yoghurt is around 6 per 100g which translates to 13.6g per cup). IE the UK carb counts don't take account of lactose digestion by the bacteria either. But GY is a great way to cut the carbs of regular yoghurt.

It is very easy to make greek style yogurt if you can't buy it in the US. What you do is tip fresh yoghurt into a colander or sieve lined with a clean cloth ( rinse it in water to remove any traces of detergent and then boil it in the microwave wet on a plate to sterilise it) Line the colander with teh cool damp cloth, put the colander over a bowl to catch the drips and cover it with a plate or clingfilm to keep out any taint from other food flavours and leave it in the refigerator overnight. Result = sweet thick mild yoghurt with fewer carbs. the longer you leave it the thicker it gets.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 10:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Here in Canada, "greek" yogurt is also labelled "balkan style". It is higher in fat content too, which accounts for a slight reduction in carbs. Astro brand Natural Balkan plain is 5.9% fat, and 5g carbs per 125g serving.

Just so long as folks realize that the carb count is NOT reduced by 8 grams per cup as has been theorized. Yogurt is wonderful and delicious, but it is not super low in carbs

Doreen
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 14:13
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Goat milk yogurt is also lower in carbs. I actually enjoy the stuff, but the only store that has it is an hours drive away

It has a mild goat taste to it, but it's tolerable and even slightly addicting. I also like chevre cheese though and just don't like the extreamly strong goat products.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 19:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/144/130
BF:22
Progress: -180%

Thanx for clearing that up, I had been wondering about that because I read the 4 carb theory and also that the bacteria turn the lactose into glucose and didn't know what to think! I just go ahead and count all the carbs neway. I don't seem to have any problems with the blue bunny light 85's so I eat one everyday. I actually broke through a plateu after I had one. These seem to be the best higher carb treat. I'd like to try making my own yogurt too and the yocheese sounds interesting (sooo many possibitlities there!)
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 15:18
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Doreen:

After badgering you in your journal about your research on this issue, I didn't even find your post until now. Thanks for this information. I thought it was too good to be true so I've always counted the total carbs.

There's a Canadian brand called Liberty Mediterranee (also sold in the US) which is 10% fat yogurt that has only 4 grams of carbs/100 g. It's much nicer than regular yogurt and it's definately not sour (yuck). The organic section in Dominion carries it. HFS also carry the Liberty brand, but make sure you get the Mediterranee, not the regular brand.

Here's a link for anyone interested: http://www.liberte.qc.ca/html/home.asp

Wanda
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 18:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

I use the Liberty brand mentioned above and I love it. Very thick, creamy and not sour at all. I have added some sf vanilla syrup, sf jam or other flavor...very yummy even tho it's about 4 carbs per half cup!

Froufie
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 18:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Just a note for others who want to make their own Greek/Balkan yogurt... a slightly lazier way of doing it is to use a couple of coffee filters rather than the towel. This has always worked nicely for me.

This is sometimes referred to as "yogurt cheese". I've used it in place of ricotta back when I was an impoverished student.

...and try to find a way to use the leftover whey. Factoid of the day: in India, it's fed to sick children.

(I have this neurosis about wasting food! )

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Oct-12-03 at 19:24.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 19:33
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I'm experimenting with making my own yogurt for the first time. I have some warmed goats milk and a spoon full of stoneyfield farms yogurt curing in a turned off oven. I'll see how it comes out in the morning
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 20:40
Mad Scientist

BF:

Since we're talking about yogurt, I thought this information was very interesting since it applies to some yogurts that promote themselves as supporting good digestive health.

Rather than using real FOS/Inulin, which is costly, an artificial FOS has been created from cane sugar. Almost all FOS added to probiotic products is from artificial FOS. I'm also assuming that includes FOS added to stevia as a filler.

http://www.natren.com/pages/healthyliving/beware.html
http://www.healingcrow.com/ferfun/c...conspiracy.html (scroll down to the section "Making a Case against FOS and Inulin)

Just some food for thought!

Wanda
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 06:21
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I have some stevia with FOS. I stopped using it after I found pure powdered extract. There is just something addictive about the taste once you learn to use it

My yogurt is till milk I put it back in the oven. Hopefully if I give it a few more hours it will turn out. I know homade will be runnier then storebought, but that was still just milk.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 09:45

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%

doreen-

thank you so much for you scientific breakdown of the yogurt myths. it is greatly appreciated and i have even printed your post to refer to it from time to time. please continue to update us on your studies into lcbing. they are so interesting!

sati
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 19:16

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I absolutely love the Liberty Mediterranean yogurt. It's fantastic. My favorite way is to mix 1 tbsp coffee powder, and 2-3 tbsp cocoa and a little water into a paste, add some kind of sweetening agent and then mix that in with a whole 500g pot of yogurt. It's delicious and amazingly filling. A little goes a long way. It's even better if you mix in some fresh strawberries.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 19:19
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Angeline:

Hmmmmm.... DH would love that. I don't drink coffee, so what's coffee powder?

Wanda
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 08:10

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

It's just instant coffee