Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 11:17
Alan Rickman Addict

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilygirl
Can we just keep the carbs low and keep eating the extra fats or does Dr. A. insist we move through to maintenance and lower fat and increase carbs?

Lily,
I'm going to try it!! LOL For the life of me I CAN NOT tolerate adding certain things in. It just sets me off. I need my fat. (My husband is like yours, he thinks that the fats are nasty )
I'm dropping back down to induction for a few days because I'm feeling totally out of control (And starving all the time!!!!) from what I've added in.

I think that I can live with more fat. Fat = Happy!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 16:13

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hey we are here waiting for it Sarah

The porridge is creamy, but sorry nothing like a cheese cake,

I no longer count carbs have'nt for 3 months or more, I just know what I can have and how much.

The bread I eat has about 10-11 carbs, wit no flour in it. One slice with butter peanut butter stays with me for a long time, I sometimes almost forget lunch, unless I'm working of course! However, I never skip any meal, it's just a little off schedule thats all Like today I did'nt eat lunch til 3pm had a lovely chefs salad

I still working on building up a wordrobe, funny how I still seem to look at clothes far to big for me, LOL
Cheers,
Kathy
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 19:57

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey y'all, sorry I didn't get back to posting right away. OK here's my recipe. I adapted it from Alton Brown (the "Good Eats" guy on Food Network).

1.5 cups rolled oats (not instant)
.5 cup sliced almonds
.5 cup crushed pecans
.5 cup flax seeds
2 scoops whey protein powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Da Vinci syrup (I like maple flavor)
1/8 cup vegetable oil

Combine dry ingredients. Add liquid ingredients and stir to coat. Spread granola in even layer over cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hr 15 min, turning every 15 min.

Yield: 3 cups

Total Calories: 2036~
Fat: 141~ 1269~ 66%
~~Sat: 14~ 126~ 7%
~~Poly: 42~ 378~ 20%
~~Mono: 69~ 621~ 32%
Carbs: 129~ 328~ 17%
~~Fiber: 47~ 0~ 0%
Protein: 83~ 332~ 17%

Works out to 6.8 net carbs for a quarter cup, which is how much I have with my yogurt.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 11:24
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%
Progress: 100%
Default Hi!

Sarah! Thanks for the granola recipe! I think I have all that too, I can't wait to make it. I always found granola was a good substitute to munch on at the movies instead of popcorn. I love popcorn and miss nibbling during flicks!

Kathy - it is so awesome to actually pick up a bigger size in clothes and tehn have to say to the salesgirl "could you get me a SMALLER size" LOL! Awesome! I saw the pics you posted in your journal and you look fantastic! Way to go! I was going to cook your porridge for this morning, but as usual I was in an eggs mood (I love eggs!) and made them in the microwave with a dollop of cream cheese and a dollop of LC strawberry jam, so kinda similar - Ooohh, Aaahhh! Yum!!

Seto, good luck with your re-induction days. Oh no, it seems like there are some triggers coming back in your diet that have been setting you off - good for you for recognizing them! Have a great day!

Lily
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 11:37

BF:

Well I got to tell you it has been many years since I have worn white pants!!!

I bought a pair at the hospital 2nd hand store yesterday, they are like a pair of tights, but heavier material, seems brand new, and obviously a very expense brand. My god I could'nt beleive how I looked in them LOL, I came down stairs with them on walked into hubbys office, he took one look and said "wow do those ever look good on you", where did they come from?

Paid $2.00 for them what a deal
Now if I could only find a few pairs of jeans I like, at a good price

Sunday I'm going to make some of that granola, as well, I think I'll do a regular batch for the guys, I normally make 2 ice cream buckets at a time.
Think I'll surprise my son and send him a bucket in the mail, he's at UCC in Kamloops for a year. Nice to know he has a good breakfast to start is day.

Cheers Kathy
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 12:15

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Wow, I'm really glad to find this Maintainance Club.
I reached my goal in 1999 but still struggle with staying
there. Atkins helps. What can I say, I am addicted
to food, its my drug of choice! But I am more addicted
to being thin, so I won't give in to the food addiction.
I agree, I got so used to the delicious taste of fatty
foods that it would be hard to give them up now. I do a
vegetarian version of Atkins since I have been a
vegetarian for almost 20 yrs.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins Diet
Stats: 130/122/110
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default On maintenance

Hello everyone,
I started induction on June 1. I was at 130 pounds. I am now on maintenance at my goal weight of 110. I go up a pound or pound and one half every once in a while but it comes right off. I still watch my carbs. I don't go over 40-45 per day. I will probably keep it like that forever. I have added fresh fruits and vegetables. I feel better and can eat a little more and not gain at all. I am cleaning out the garage for room for weight equipment. When I get that, I will be working hard to build muscle and tone my body. I have always been able to build muscle easily. It makes me feel great. I don't know why I ever got away from it. Just too busy. I'm going to make time now.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:30

BF:

Hello Mary and Mex ! Nice to see some other maintainers join in here
It looks like you have done very well.
It's especially nice to hear from someone who has been doing Atkins for that lenght of time Mary Good for you, "Addicted to skinny" like that

Lily:
called "squirrely" it was so seedy, but I think it also has honey and/or molasses. DANG!

Hey thats from Silver hills bakery, it only has about 18 carbs and almost 5 gr of fibre, I eat there other breads, alittle lower in carbs. They are fantastic!!! Actually my whole family has been eating them for many years, just cause we liked the bread. I buy mine at the McGavins overload store for 1.59 a loaf
I eat it one slice 3-4x a week with no problem

Cheers all Kathy
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 11:24
Leeloo Wannabe

OMG Kathy I love you! LOL!!!

I miss the "Squirrely" bread so much, and when you posted about the other silver hills breads, I looked them up on the internet and I'm now sooooo excited to get to the McGavin's store (we have one of those overload stores too!) and get a bunch of the "Harvest Seed" (sounds a lot like Squirrely - but even has flax and pumpkin seeds for only 15.8 - 4.5 fiber!!!) and "Flax" and "100% Whole Wheat" OMG, I'm so pumped! Even DH is excited - about groceries...this is a first! Well, we haven't had real bread in the house for months so he's ready to go shopping like NOW! LOL!! I'm so glad I mentioned the name of the bread I used to love in my last post so you could tell me this! I just love how I've found you all!!

HEY!! Welcome Mary and Mex!! WHOO HOO!! I'm so glad you're here too! Wow Mary, how do you do Atkins being a vegetarian? I always wondered how the vegetarians do it. I have a girlfriend at work who is a vegetarian and she has to make a conscious effort to get ANY protein in! All she eats are carbs, it's astounding! She's really thin as well, don't know how she does it - good genes i guess!!

I think it's so wonderful that you have been following this WOL for 20 years, Kudos to you!

Mex, way to go on the plan to workout! I congratulate you! I am a workout person as well. I never used to be, but I did a couple of Body for Life challenges that made me feel very confident about how to use the machines and weights and made me feel strong and self-assured and like I belonged with the other people in the weight training sections of the gym. I still struggle with cardio workouts. I get bored (no matter what other stimuli I have to keep me preoccupied- TV's, fun music that I love, books on tape, etc.) and I just don't enjoy huffing and puffing and having sweat pour down my back and worst of all...between my *ahem* bosoms (LOL!!) I just HATE that feeling! I thought I'd get used to it and be like one of my friends who LOVES to sweat because it makes her feel like she's working hard, but NO. I have yet to get to that point! Good for you for making the commitment to yourself to treat your body the way it deserves and give it the workout it craves and wants. You'll have awesome results and feel fantastic, just like you used to when you worked out before!

We're here to support you! Gotta love that!

xoxo! Have a great day all!
Lily
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 23:08

BF:

Hey Lily, glad I made your day, LOL. Hopefully you can get it at the overload, what a savings, eh? I buy it up about 10 loaves at a time and freeze it right away as it has no perservatives. I even keep a loaf at work now in the freezer for emergency's ( butter and peanut butter too of course!) MY guys love the bagels they make also, but I don't bother, they are too high on carbs for me. It always amazes me how filling that bread is, I only ever have one slice and I find myself going past lunch time, before I realize it! ( at home anyways, at work I eat on schedule like a horse, LOL)

Regarding exercise, for me I love Aquasizes, deep water ones Man what a great toner and cardio to boot. When work slows down I go 3 x week, but it's been a while, I just seem to squeak in once a week if I'm lucky
Plus I have two dogs two walk, I live a block off the Ocean so it's not a chore to walk there, I feel just as deprived as they do if I can't go! Plus my job is very labour intensive, It's like being at the gym all day!

Cheers, I hope everyone is having a great weekend, I'ts warm and sunny here, gotta love it.

KATHY
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 22:02
Leeloo Wannabe

Default Yummy Granola!

SarahO! I just finished making your granola and BOY OH BOY! I just love it! I didn't have any maple DaVinci, so I used "Dulce la Leche" which is kind of caramelly and some maple extract and I sprinkled a little cinamon over the top before putting it in the oven. It is so fantastic. I'm going to have to ONLY take 1/4 cup portions to work though because I can see myself nibbling on it until the 3 cups dissapear! Thanks again, it's fantastic!

Kathy! I went to McGavin's today and they told me they get daily shipments of the Silver Hills bread, but not on Sundays, sniff!! I bought another "light rye" bread that had 9g/slice with 1g Fiber, so 8g net/slice! Not bad! I'll make another trip to get my beloved Silver Hills bread though!

Hey, I meant to congratulate you on the white pants WHOA SEXY MAMA! So awesome that DH's eyes were like "mmm, looking good Kathy!" What a deal too!! I used to teach aquasize classes, not too many mind you, but while I was going to high school (13/14 years ago) and after H.S. when I took a year off before University, I worked at a pool full time. I taught swimming classes from parent & tots to preschoolers right to adult learn to swim classes, and I was a lifeguard. When I became a head lifeguard it was important that we were able to fulfill every duty of the pool in case of emergency, so I took my AFLCA (Fitness Leadership Certification) so I could teach aerobics, but more importantly to my job, water aerobics. I took many of the classes to see what they were like, and of course, had my share of instructors not show up for work so had to teach a number of them too. My favourite was the deep water running as well. What a great workout!

You are so lucky to live so close to the ocean!! DH and I visit Vancouver as often as we can (you're on the island though, right? - We're in Calgary) and I just looooove the coast! You are also lucky to have a job that keeps you physically active. You don't have to feel guilty if you don't hit the gym or get to your aquasize one day!

Off to spend some quality time with DH before bed.

G'night!
Lily
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 05:57
Registered Member

Stats: 170/152/144 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Lilygirl...
be careful with that Dulce de Leche. It's gotta have a good bit of carbs because it is caramelized sweetended condensed milk (and yummy too!)
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:05
Leeloo Wannabe

Default Hi Vickie!

OH! I was using the flavoured sugar-free DaVinci Syrup in the Dulce de Leche flavour! I'm going to have to double check the bottle though and make sure it has no carbs! OMG, you have me freaking out! I've already been much higher on carbs than I usually am because I had that 1/4 cup of granola this morning with 3/4 cup cottage cheese (I was aiming for 1/2 cup cottage cheese, but after eyeballing it in my bowl it looked more like 3/4 - I did it at work, so I really should bring a measuring cup here!) This alone puts me at 17 carbs with 4 fiber (so 13 carbs - OMG!!) Actually, the carb count on my cottage cheese is less than what fitday says it is, so I should input my cottage cheese in as a custom food and use that count, but I always like to estimate a little higher to keep myself in check!

I have to say it again though, that granola is OUTTASITE! You all must try it! Thanks again Sarah!
Ciao!
Lily
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 11:42
Registered Member

Stats: 170/152/144 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Don't fret!
I thought that you used real Dulce de Leche. I'm sure that the flavored syrup is just fine.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 20:39

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Lily,

Thanks for the hot tip of checking out the site here. I can't wait to try the granola recipe. YUM!!

You all have a wonderful evening.