Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 17:22

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Now that's what I call willpower

mmm. Saffron is my favourite spice at the moment. I'm going to go home right now and put it on some prawns and butter...

Have you got that rice frozen in a block of ice ? That's what you're supposed to do with a maxed-out credit card.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 01:46

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%

Hi Andy,

Thanks for taking the trouble to find out about the pork scratchings at your local butchers. I havn't had time to visit mine yet (I hope to next week as I'm off of work then).
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 11:04

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%

Hi Andy,

I called into my local butchers yesterday, NO JOY . They said that they did use to make their own scratchings but they didn't sell, so they now use the pork fat in their sausages. Suggested that I try the various butchers in Watford Market. I won't be able to get there just yet as we are off to Lanzarote on Thursday (Looking forward to the sun, but I'm worried about the diet )

Speak soon

Ken
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 13:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Leave Out the Carbs

Hi Ken

It is only your own commitment to the diet that counts. If you really want to stick to it you will find ways and means. Ask for salad instead of the usual chips/potatoes that go with most meals.

Leave out the crusts (bread crumbs). Though it is much harder when temptation is all around and u r in holiday mode.

Take some nuts with you for the journey.

Enjoy.
Take care.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 14:47

BF:

Quote:
Mrs Yogi: Now that's what I call willpower

Well Mrs Yogi I have to disagree with you there. I have just realised that I have had SIX bars of chocolate in my fridge for more than two weeks - so far untouched. NOW THAT is what I call willpower

How r u doing?
Take care
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 18:22

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Ken,

Fiona beat me to it this time! I was going to say that although I do not know what sort of food will be available where you are going, if you can get hold of any cold meats, fish, seafood or poultry, these will do fine. Back in the UK, I sometimes enjoy a piece of cheese and a tomato. English Cheddar is supposed to have no carbs, but cheddar from other countries does have, so you may have to watch the carb count abroad. Also, tomato has some carb content, but low.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 00:27

BF:
Default English Cheddar

Andy

I am not so sure about English Cheddar's carb content. U r right it does say 1g or <(less than) 1g on the packet. When I first started this diet I thought ... that's great I can just live on cheese and lettuce. My three week pateau was finally shifted when I cut down drastically on the cheese. Now I buy 1kg (cheaper to buy a bigger piece) make it last for 2 weeks then go a week or two without cheese altogether.

Ken/Margaret: u could also get a small emergency supply of local High Protein tinned stuff to take care of temptations before you go out. My suitcase is usually bursting at the seams or I'd take a wee supply from here.
Take care
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 16:22

BF:

Thanks Fiona, this confirms what I had for some time been thinking about cheese myself. But as I had not systematically checked it out, I felt uncertain about stating. Another such food item is double cream, which according to Mackarness, you can use fairly liberally, although Donaldson warns against it. My own casual findings are that double cream should be treated with some caution.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-01, 20:23

BF:
Exclamation Double Cream

I agree with you. Didn't mention it in my post 'cos I was trying to stick to the main topic {worry a little about all my ramblings on topics related in my mind but when I look at the message again seem to be not quite relevant ! }.

Yes double cream is another higher carb than it appears. I usually find weeks when I have my favourite strawberry/double cream dessert are weeks that my weight is static.

Umm just had a thought ... wonder if it is 'cos it is dairy?

Now before LC I was allergic to milk and dairy products - lactose intolerance. I was sooo delighted that I could eat cheese and cream without having to put my running shoes on
that I over-compensated. Still haven't quite got the balance right.
... rambling off-topic again - stop fiona !

Bet u when I look at this post later I'll have a few words to say to myself about it LOL
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 07:57

BF:

Fiona,

Donaldson was a Doctor who not only treated obesity, but also allergies. He believed that over 60 common complaints were allergic responses to peptides passed down to succeeding generations genetically, as "shock tissue". These could manifest themselves in any one of 5 major body systems. He treated them all with the same thing - 9 vaccinations of milk (yes, milk) injected into different parts of the body in 3 sets of 3 injections. The reasoning for this was that the peptides in milk (which clearly upset Fiona's metabolism) raise up and overcome all other peptides in the body, in just the same way as a vaccination of dead cells from a disease overcome the disease itself. donaldson's patients were successfully treated by this method for 3-year periods at a time, until they needed the next set of milk vaccinations, and symptoms started reappearing again. I will finish my re-draft of his diet this weekend.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 15:38

BF:
Default Milk injections

Fascinating. Thanks - not quite sure what to make of it
Take care
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 19:09

BF:

If you had been one of Donaldson's patients, you would have been prevented from consuming anything containing milk, cream or dairy products. Additionally, you would have been vaccinated with 9 injections of milk peptides. This, Donaldson would have anticipated, would have cured your asthma and any of 59 other common allergic reactions. This type of treatment proved very effective, and when Donaldson's patients moved interstate and couldn't get back every 3 years for the next course of vaccinations, he sent details to their new GP, who then kept the treatment going. Donaldson was way ahead of his time. I have heard this year of some current research work in Scandinavia in which they have reached the conclusion that the cause of various complaints is...peptides. Sadly, Donaldson died in 1964, and so did not live to see his results indepently confirmed in this way.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-01, 04:27

BF:
Default Oh what a pity D died

I suppose we all have to go one day. Hopefully someone will pick up and carry on.

I know Germany is far ahead of UK on this. I have a good friend there and his knowledge and understanding (in layman's terms) about allergies is always stimulating. Far more help available there.

On a positive note, my asthma is much better. I haven't taken any Ventolin or Becotide for about a month now. Did get wheezy once but otherwise it's been pretty good especially with all the exercise I'm putting in.
Take care.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 12:07

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 172/155.5/130
BF:
Progress:
Default pork scratchings

Are pork scratchings the same as pork rinds?

Thanks-Joyce
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 12:11

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

yes, i do think so. (i don't eat them)