Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Whahoo! Bourbon, Chocolate and Burnt Almond "Ice Cream" Cheesecake... all my favorites rolled into one...hubby will think he died and went to heaven Karen this looks amazing and can't wait to try it ...and coming in at only 4.49 carbs per serving or 3.55 carbs minus fiber thanks so much

Bonnie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kay,

Quote:
Now, could you please add to my education? I need some input. The only alcohol I generally ever have in the house is pure vanilla extract or cooking sherry, so I will have to go out and buy something.

Most liquor stores sell tiny "airline bottles" of alcohol that would be just right for the recipe. I think they're around 3 bucks. Rum is OK, vodka would be good in a plain or citrus flavoured cake because it has no flavour. But, bourbon and chocolate rocks!

Karen
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:15
Forum Founder

BF:

Hey Bonnie!

It's almost tooooo good. I always feel like the "pusher man" when I make desserts.

Once a sugar junkie, always a sugar junkie! LOL!

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default egg whites

I agree with everything that Nancy said about the egg whites, but I just wanted to add, I have better luck with volume if my eggs are room temp. Sometimes to hurry them up, I'll put the dish of egg whites in the sink with a little warm water in it. I don't have copper dishes, but I use stainless steel. Just don't use plastic, as plastic can hold oil even through washings (i.e. butter, cooking oil etc.)
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:50

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Karen: The Frozen cheesecake recipe look awesome.

I have a Bamix Mixer, it looks a little like the Braun Handheld Blender but with loads of power. It comes in interchangeable bits for all kinds of mixing, etc. The attachments also chop nuts, coffee beans, etc.

I used to use it just for beating scrambled eggs, it adds a lot of volume and my eggs and omlettes(?) are always very fluffy.

I saw it recently on TV selling as the Thunderstick, cost was half of what I paid for it 6 years ago.

I guess I just need to practice more with Egg whites. So let me get this straight:- CLEAN beater, Clean Bowl, Clean egg whites? right?? Do I need to keep the bowl cold or something?

Thanks for your help!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:54

BF:
Talking Egg White Tip

Thanks Sharon for your tip, I will try it over the weekend, if not, I will be eating a whole lot of Egg White Omelettes

Anyone used those cartons of egg whites only from Safeway or Superstore?? Are they any good?
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 11:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarlye
Anyone used those cartons of egg whites only from Safeway or Superstore?? Are they any good?
YES!

Sarlye, they're great. In fact, I often add extra eggwhite to my omelets etc .. the protein holds the air bubbles, and creates even more volume. And it holds more air volume when room temp than when cold, as Sharon pointed out. So don't chill the beaters (unlike cream, which you want to keep cold, cold, cold .. because the fat globules will clump and turn to butter if it's warm). Eggwhites are all protein, no fat.

The cartons are such a great value too .... 2 cartons banded together costs the same as a dozen eggs ... each carton = 8 large eggwhites. You can even freeze the unopened carton too.

Doreen
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 11:54

BF:

Thanks for the tip about Egg Whites Doreen, you are always so helpful. I am learning so much from this forum.

thank you thank you thank you!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 11:57

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Karen, you and a pusher have nothing in common. It's recipes like this that keep us low-carbing for the long haul. In other words, you are a life-saver.

Thanks for answering my questions. I want to try it with bourbon the first time. Experimentation can follow.

Quote:
If the flavour seems daunting, it can be made plain or you can experiment with other flavours, such as lemon, lime or orange zest and different alcohol or perk it up with a few fresh, berries, folded in to the cheese mixture.

I didn't notice this the first time I read your post. When you say it can be made plain, do you mean with no alcohol? I know you originally mentioned that the alcohol would make it cutable right from the freezer. If you left out the alcohol, would you have to thaw it slightly?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 12:49
Forum Founder

BF:

Hi Kay,

Yes, you can make it with or without alcohol or just with citrus rind. If you go the no alcohol route, cut it up first and let however many pieces you are going to serve sit in the fridge for half an hour. Use a hot knife to cut it.

Karen
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 12:54
Forum Founder

BF:

Sarlye,

Does the device have actual beaters? You can whip cream with the blade, but you can't whip egg whites.

We use frozen, pasteurized egg yolks and whites in the restaurant for Caesar dressing, mayonnaise, baking etc. As Doreen said, they're great!

And as Sharon said, room temperature or even slightly warm for the biggest volume.

Karen
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 19:26

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default To Die For

Whow..........made the Vancouver Cheesecake this morning.........this could be fed to the Royal Family!!!!

Karen, what a fabulous recipe. You're something else.

Have to tell you the story though....made it on the second hottest darn humid day of course in Ontario...(haven't been cooking hardly at all since I'm on vacation, but thought perhaps I'd treat everyone today to mom's home cooking) I'm not sure what's worse, a double boiler or turning the oven on when it's humid like this!!! Well everyone knew I had been working on a dessert...and after supper were hanging around waiting for the cake....well talk about disappointing looks when I say, "has to be kept in the refrigerator for 24 hours before eating"... Anyways, after a few more hours, I cautiously cut everyone a small piece.... No problem slicing, whew!!! Added a tiny teaspoon of sugarfree strawberry jam to the top for colour.....

Definitely the treat of the week here!!!

I plan to make this again for Dennis' birthday next month and serve it to the whole "high carb" crew!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 21:37

BF:
Default My Bamix All Purpose Mixer

No Karen, my equipment does not have any beaters. It's just a stick thing with a tiny disc for Aerating, a disk with holes for beating and a twisted fork looking thing for puree soaps right out of the pot. Oh, I also have the blade that can ground meat.

I bought it at the PNE 6 years ago. My mother in law bought one 20 years ago and she bakes with it alot.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 14:19

BF:
Talking 2nds are better

I made the cheesecake again last weekend and brought it over to my friends to try. They were surprised that it was low carb.

I would like to thank everyone once again for the great egg white beating tips. My peaks were PERFECT.

Anyway to make travelling better, I made the recipe and use Large(Chicken Pot Pie type) tinfoil tart holders and small dessert tinfoil tarts - it costs about $1.25 from the Dollar Store.

Last time with my egg white failure, it yielded 11 large tart size cheesecakes.

This time with my perfect peaks, this recipe yielded 9 large tart and 16 little ones.

The little cheesecake tart is so easy to have around for a quick dessert.

Thought I would share this with everyone.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 02:55

Stats: 220/195/140
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default ? quark ??

hate to seem so dumb - but what is quark??? Dee Garza the Leavenworth, Indiana Wire Artist Jeweler and probably the world's WORST cook!