Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 11:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

I was staying out of this thread although just before it started I noticed that my hair had become noticeably thin--quite distinctly. I didn't contribute as other factors might have been at play such as having a run of changes of mind about hair colour and changing 4 times over a 6 week period. Still, if it is b/c of Atkins in some way, and assuming Lora is a credible informant, then I'll wait to see if it thickens up again. Hope so.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 164/149/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Hair loss

It is very important to take a very good multivitiamin and the omega 3 oils supplement or cod liver oil (comes in capsule form) If you are having hair loss your skin and nails will obviously become a problem. These are things you don't get enough of on a high protein diet. I have had thin hair prior to, but this is the second time on the Atkins diet and I had more hair loss than usual. Eating salmon and tuna more often helps too. I also take an extra calcium supplement. Being a middleaged woman means Iwe are going thru lots of hormonal changes. Having babies and our regular monthly all takes its toll on bodies more so than men. So we really need to be more physical and eat right in order not to have these types of health problems. I no longer have so many of these problems since I became faithful to the vit/supp and doing my best to eat some veggies within the diet. Give it try what to have to lose by sides more hair! Just a little funny.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 16:47

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Debbie.....

A Big...Big...Thanks
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208.5/168/125
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Hair Loss

I am so amazed by all these responses!! Glad to know I'm not the only one with this concern, but also VERY GLAD there are people out there with good information to pass along. I checked out the newsletter article and it made sense and helped to calm me down, however, I know what is normal everyday hair loss for and what is ABNORMAL and like the article says -it is alarming to see the amount of hair coming out during a shower!!! Styling has gotten harder too! So already, after 3-4 weeks I'm seeing and feeling the effects of the hair loss. But, I tell you, I can't imagine coming off this WOE. If a doctor were to tell me to stop I don't think I would! Guess I would have to go wig shopping instead!!

I will keep everyone posted on my progress whether good or bad!

Thanks again for everyone's remarks!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 09:36
Registered Member

Stats: 228/169/140
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Thinning Hair

Big "phew!" after reading this thread. I too started losing a lot of hair and was worried. I read the article "Lora's Column" and feel MUCH better. I just joined this discussion forum today and previously has looked around on the Internet for answers. I had to laugh as most sites indicate that a lack of protein is a main cause. Definitely not my problem!

I did also visit my doctor yesterday about my hair loss. Like Lora he indicated it may be the stress of losing weight and suggested we "just keep our eye on it." I was a bit worried as he doesn't have much hair himself, but the article has helped to reassure me.

I see that Lora recommends a multivitamin without iron - does anyone know why this might be?

Cheers,

Lori
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 10:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by herodl
I see that Lora recommends a multivitamin without iron - does anyone know why this might be?
hi Lori,

Excessive iron can have some negative effects in the body. I emphasize the word excessive. Iron-deficiency anemia is still common, in this day and age of people being afraid to eat red meat. Click here to read a recent discussion that we had regarding the problems with too much iron.

Doreen
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:34

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Yikes David's beautiful hair is falling out!

As you can see from our picture David has long gorgious hair. We noticed a lot more of it in the shower a few months into the diet, them we noticed when he brushed it there was tons of hair in the brush.
I immediately told him I thought it was related to the diet. I lost a lot of weight many years ago and with that weight lose some of my hair.
I was gone on vacation for a few weeks, and told him I would look for info about this when I got back, specifically here on this forum and low and behold, we are not alone on this problem. Gotta love this board!
I could never see Dave's scalp through his thick hair before, but now I do. I am worried. I am not very attracted to bald men. I know some women are, but David's hair was my first attraction.
I love that we are losing so much weigt on this WOE...50 pounds for him and 25 for me in 5 months. We feel so much better and look better too... and the sex has gone through the roof !!! But I want us to keep our hair. Please let us know what you find out PS David is very good at taking all the Atkins vitamins regularly... I am not, but my hair isn't falling out, although it seems a lot dryer than normal.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:38
Registered Member

Stats: 228/169/140
BF:
Progress: 67%
Wink Tks for The Info

I read thru the posts, tks for pointing me to them Doreen. I'm still working my way around the site so I appreciate your help.

Lori
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 13:10

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile I just read Lora's letter...whew

I didn't realize I had not read page two of this thread. ooops. Lora's letter was very informative. Although Dave's hair is 30 inches long and has taken 5 years to grow, it is good news that it will come back.... that is a relief. I have been picturing him bald lately and it makes me shutter... not very nice huh... Little short hairs growing in between the long ones will be just fine in comparison to pool cue ball head!!! Again thanks for sharing info, I feel lot's of relief... another little item to share, we just had our cholesteral checked and it has come down since starting the diet and is in a good range. This despite the concern of people not supportive of this WOE.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 13:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking hey you two lovebirds!!

hi Lynda & Dave,

Just popping in to say hello to you both. Sorry about Dave's hair, but it will grow ... just wish it would grow NOW!

Congrats on the lbs lost so far, that's awesome. And so great that you've done it together.

Doreen
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 14:15

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Cool Try shaving...

My hubby shaves his head every summer and the hair always grows back quickly, thick and gorgeous.

Might be an idea to just have it trimmed super short for a bit to give it that extra boost.

(You could both do the Sinead O'Connor thang - would make for interesting conversation!)
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 11:19

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default through thick and thin

Yes we have stuck it out together through thick and thin (hair that is hehehe) on this WOE. We are starting to bike ride to feel better and to get us losing again. Dave's been stalled for a month or so.

I went on a cross country trip with my three sons and was sure I would gain weight, due to a couple of cheats along the way... ice cream in the middle of Arizona after driving in 105 degrees was more than I could resist, also a few snacks that were not low carb...ie., Pringles potato chips and crackers... it is so boring when you are in the RV for 17 hours a day... but I did get some Buffalo jerky in Yellowstone that was great snack food and barely any carbs... anyway to make a long story even longer...I lost 5 pounds... I love this WOE!
Even when you cheat a little you still are OK... a little is the key word... I ate a piece of pizza, crust and all when I got home ( just to test the 'you can lose even if you cheat' theory I guess) and I gained a pound! Ahhhh first time I went up instead of down... back to 20 to 40 carbs a day... that is the range that is working for us... induction zone some days but closer to 40 most days...with very few "splurges".

Our friends who turned us on to this WOE were splurging every other weekend, we noticed that they always had a very hard time coming back to low carb and finally quit. When we would go out with them and other friends we were getting lots of compliments, which is a good source of encouragement to keep it up... and they would just stand there going "damn!" So now they are back... which is good for them and us... nice to go to dinner with folks with the same WOE and we know they not only will look better but feel much better. That pizza crust made me feel like a lithargic slug... I had to go to bed and I moaned and groaned all night. Karmic revenge of the pizza crust! I rambled enough now... better go get my classroom ready the kids will be back in school very soon. Bye for now, Lynda
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 16:08

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi

I also noticed increased hair-loss on this diet, and my friend who follows it as well has the same problem. I don't buy the suggesting from Low Carb Luxury, as it never happened to me before on any diet, and they were much more of a shock to the system than this diet ever was ( like living of 500 calories a day....). I had a look through my little books of knowledge (called Vitamins and Minerals) and apparently lack of Silica causes hair loss. The main sources of Silica is grains. As we do not eat grains on this diet, this could be a reason. I went down to Holland&Barrett today and got the Silica supplement. I'll keep you updated.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-01, 05:51

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
I'll keep you updated.

Please do, as I still have hair coming out every morning and never had this problem b/f Low carbing. I am taking MSM as was suggested by someone else here on the forum, yet no change and it has been a couple of months now!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-01, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208.5/168/125
BF:
Progress: 49%

Since I originally started this thread I thought I would give an update... I'm still losing hair. I've been to two doctors, the dermatologist confirmed it was telogen effluvium but had nothing to offer because the event that triggered the hair loss happened months ago. He didn't seem convinced it was due to the diet but did say if it is due to lo-carbing, it may continue as long as I'm on this woe. My other doctor did lots of lab work to make sure there wasn't something else going on and everything came back normal. In fact my GP and GYN dr were both very very happy with the results of my lab work!! I've been told the hair loss will stop as suddenly as it started - so everyday I hope this will be the day! So far, although my hair is thinner it still doesn't look too terribly bad.