Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 15:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Advice, please, from over 50's and a lot to lose!

I'm wondering if I could get some advice from people that are over 50 years old and started Atkins between 350 and 400 lbs. I'm 55 and have bad knees so I can't excercise much and I'd like to know what others in this age, weight and excercise situation have done in regard to daily calorie intake. I get so many different opinions from well meaning people. Some say eat more and some say eat less. Can anyone in my situation tell me what worked long term for them? I've basically been doing INDUCTION since May 27, 2003 but I have added a couple things not on induction now but still keep carbs at 20 per day. Started at 416 lbs. and am now 396 lbs. I've been eating between 1800 and 2200 calories a day. I've included a link to my Fitday below.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...?Owner=Mr%2EMel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 16:49
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Mr. Mel-

You might want to check out a couple of the subforums. One of them is the Triple Digits club and people who are trying to lose 100 pounds or more often hang out there:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49

The other one is the TOFF (Over 50) subforum:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Between those two places you should be able to pick up a lot of tips.

I took a look at your fitday and you are getting a lot of veggies and that is really great! You might want to dump the weiners and maybe the low carb bread until you have lost a little more.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 17:27

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I'm not over 50, but would you be able to walk briskly or do some biking? Both are low impact, gentle on the knees, and great way to be active.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 17:46

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi, I'm well over 50 and started out at almost 300 lbs. I've lost 24 lbs and just started exercising recently. I'm sure with bad knees you don't want to even walk, especially where you live, a slip on the ice could be a disaster. How about a stationary bike? I had a knee replacement a couple or yrs ago and that was one of the things I was told to do both before and after surgery. You can go at your own pace which will pick up as you keep doing it. Also, I started out with a simple stretching video and after a couple of weeks couldn't beleive the difference in how I felt, moved on to a walking video. Even a little exercise helps, hopes you find something to get started on. Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 18:19

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm over 50, but at less weight. Even at your weight and with bad knees you could do cycling. It is a non-weight bearing exercise and does not have the pounding on the knees that running does. My knees actually feel much better when I cycle than when I don't. Just start at 15 minutes and go up from there depending upon how you feel.

As far as eating, Atkins is not a calorie restricted plan. In his book, he recommends eating a low carb snack if you get hungry between meals.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 18:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%

Hi Mr.Mel.
My hubby is well over 50 and wants to lose a total of 150 to 160lbs.
We started in mid Feb of this year and he has lost 57lbs of it so far.
He also has gout and cannot walk very much at all. He just moves around outside as much as he can. Short distances.
As for eating, we are staying around 25 carbs per day. We were faithful to the induction foods for the first six weeks. Meat, salad, cheese and one vegetable from the approved list. He has added a few nuts, a small tomato, and some deli meat for lunch.
I know Dr Atkins says exercise is a must, but he just can't do it. Hopefully, when more of the weight comes off, he will be able to walk further each time.
I make a "bread" for sandwiches. I found the recipe somewhere here, and printed it out. I have looked for it since and can't find it anymore.
It is made with egg yolks, egg whites, and cream cheese. I flatten it out on a baking sheet, so each piece is about the size of a slice of bread.
We like it for hamburgers also. Only about 1 carb per slice.
Good luck on your weight loss. You will have times when you don't lose for a while, but it will work if you stick to it.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 21:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/176.5/145 Female 5 ' 5 "
BF:39%
Progress: 25%

I was impressed with the story of a women who lost 40 pounds who was confined to a wheel chair. She excercised with arm movements for up to an hour a day. Doesn't sound like much, but try holding out your arms moving them up and down or around and around for ten minutes. Even the smallest movement is movement and burns calories. Find what you can do to start and do it!! Sit in a chair and move your legs up and down continuously while moving your arms. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 13:58

Plan: Atkins kinda
Stats: 175/168/130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 16%

Cycling isn't always good OR low impact. Some of us, myself for one, have real problems on a bike (of any kind). I try a stationary bike now and then, but the same thing keeps happening........my knees blow up!!! Even tried "just a little" daily....building it up......didn't work for me. Gotta stay off of the things.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 22:03
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power - slightly modified
Stats: 185/156.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:gettin' better!
Progress: 71%

Greetings Mel,

We've been living La Vida LoCarb for 4.5 years, we're both over 50 :-).

It's a journey and a lifetime committment. Please be patient with yourself, but be determined. Try to stay on plan - lose the phony foods and eat "close to the ground" ... you know, meat, natural veggies and a bit of cheese. Keep a watchful eye on the saturated fat and dairy - limit the cheese a bit :-).

We're all battling the same demon and we'll help when we can. I agree with the others about the stationary bike - it's a bit easier on the knees.

Hope all goes well and if we can help, we're here.

Holly
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 05:35

Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I've had over 100 pounds to lose and I don;t exercise as a rule. I've done pretty well keeping to around 25 carbs a day and about 1600-1700 calories. Funny I;ve been on vacation the past 3 weeks and have been doing some swimming - my weight loss stopped???
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 10:30

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Welcome to the group Mr. Mel! I also have a very bad knee and the one excercise that was recommended to me by the Physical Therapist was a staionary bike. There is no weight bearing on the legs because you're seated...although it takes some getting used to for the rump. LOL. The one caution he gave me was absolutely NO TENSION on the bike. That causes more damage to the knees.

Have you considered Tai Chi or beginning Yoga? These are stretching excercises that can be done by all ages and degrees of physical condition. There are classes available almost anywhere and there are some very good tapes out for doing them in the privacy of your own home. There are also some good tapes available for doing stretching and deep breathing excercises together. Oxycise comes to mind and I know there is another one with Greer. (Help me out with the name folks!)

The main thing is to mooooove. Gently at first and work your way up. You have a challenge facing you, for sure, but that challenge is possible by taking the first baby step and then another and then another. We'll ALL be here cheering you on and giving you encouragement....it's one of the things this forum does best!

I recommend that you start your journal. That gives all of us a place to come to chat with you, get acquainted, comisserate, encourage and congratulate. Truly one of the best features this wonderful site has to offer. Directions for starting one are in the Newbie Forum.

Have a wonderful holiday today!
Nance
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 09:11

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm 52 with one very bad knee caused by a serious accident 20 years ago. It's a bummer.

I can't use a bike at all, stationary or not. What I can do is a rowing machine, or a ski machine (cross trainer??). No trouble at all.
Also I came across a machine in a gym which was like a bike for arms. You sit and turn the handles. It's exhausting and effective.

All I need now is the motivation!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:32
Registered Member

Welcome Aboard Lucy

Motivation you need? Motivation we got. Start slow, but START!!! You know what they say, you're here to save your life, soooooo ....

Get Moooooooving!!

We even have an official cheerleader, so expect lots of help and whatever nagging you need.

Stay well,

Holly
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 17:17
Registered Member

Smile Try this forum ...

Hey Lucy,

I just thought of something ... you need to come over and join our other forum, here's the link:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=125926

It's a fairly active group, both posting-wise and, more importantly, exercise-wise.

There's also some personal sharing going on, but that's all a part of our lives, no?

Hope to see you there!

Holly
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 12:45
Registered Member

Stats: 170/170/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mel
I'm wondering if I could get some advice from people that are over 50 years old and started Atkins between 350 and 400 lbs. I'm 55 and have bad knees so I can't excercise much and I'd like to know what others in this age, weight and excercise situation have done in regard to daily calorie intake. I get so many different opinions from well meaning people. Some say eat more and some say eat less. Can anyone in my situation tell me what worked long term for them? I've basically been doing INDUCTION since May 27, 2003 but I have added a couple things not on induction now but still keep carbs at 20 per day. Started at 416 lbs. and am now 396 lbs. I've been eating between 1800 and 2200 calories a day. I've included a link to my Fitday below.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...?Owner=Mr%2EMel

aqua fit exercises would be great for you and most classes the people are in our age group. i think you can check at any of your ymca clubs or gyms for classes