Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:52

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 338/334/175 Female 5' 9.5"
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default StarStuff says Hi!

I wrote a mini-novel about myself in my first journal entry, so I won't bore everybody by repeating myself here. If you're really curious I welcome your visits to my journal.

I started (loosely) following the South Beach Diet regimen in mid-July, losing seven pounds in two days and another three over the next few weeks. As I say, I was loosely following the guidelines, but with far too many salty foods (like ham and deli meats) and nuts. It's a lovely idea to have 10 or 15 nuts as a snack, but the phrase, "like eating peanuts," was not coined to describe disciplined behavior! I cannot stop at 10 or 20 or 50 nuts of almost every kind. Peanuts and cashews are my particular weaknesses.

So I believe my stalled weight loss was due to water retention because of all the salt. Of course, at the moment I can't blame salt for my lack of progress. I've been on a doughnut and ice cream binge for the past three days. I think there's a bag of Cheetos in the cupboard, too.

I'm single and that can be quite a problem when you're trying to cook recipes that are routinely designed to serve four or more. You have to figure out what will keep in the fridge or freezer for a reasonable amount of time -- and/or that you won't get sick of eating for every meal until it's gone.

Here I go, writing a book again! I'm a writer, I guess it's a weakness that comes with the territory. Hope I haven't bored y'all. Pleased to meet you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:27
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome Star Stuff! Check out the recipe threads and whip up a batch of deep dish pizza quiche...it freezes well and even tastes good cold. (cold pizza - the breakfast of champions)

Now run and throw those Cheetos out the window!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:36

BF:

Well, I ran and got the Cheetos... and, um... Oh, I need a keeper! Somebody to wrestle all these high-carb foods away from me. It would be great exercise, too! (How about that guy who played Cole on "Charmed"? Hubba hubba!)

Gina
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:42
empress of fashion

BF:

Hey, we could start a new thread! Who would you like to play gate keeper (carb keeper?)at your house? LOL
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:53

BF:

Well, he'd have to be awfully muscular, of course -- I can get pretty worked up when I want a chocolate doughnut! Y'know, I'll bet we could start a profitable business: Rent-a-Keeper. Hmm...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:08
empress of fashion

BF:

Make sure they all look like some hot star...the Brad Pitt model, the Mel Gibson prototype. I think we're onto something!! (could get ugly around that time of the month - not sure any man is THAT strong)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 16:19

BF:
Wink Fantasy Island

Be fun to give 'em a chance to show what they're made of, eh?

You can have Brad. I don't favor blondes. Dibs on Mel!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 18:58

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

you people are hilarious. lol

Star, why don't you get a vaccum bag sealer so you can buy bulk meat and freeze it individually. Or go ahead and cook things and freeze using the sealer. Things last wayyyyy longer. I know they say it's best to have things that are fresh but that's not always practical for everyone...especially me. That and I'm lazy sometimes. I miss those easy meals but most fast food or prepared food are so high in carbs. I cook up stuff...vaccum bag them in individual partions and voila...frozen "TV dinners"

Just think...stick to the plan and you won't get those orange Cheetos fingers. Dang that stuff is permanent I tell ya!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 19:17
empress of fashion

BF:

Hand check!! I think Star Stuff is wrestling Mel right now (and letting him win!).

I've got Brad standing at my fridge currently...and boy do I have a craving. (for carbs, that is)
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:23

BF:
Talking Ooh, you bad girl!

I don't LET anybody win -- they gotta earn it, girlfriend!! (Especially when there's a doughnut involved...)

Allikins, I actually do have a vacuum sealer: a FoodSaver, in fact, top o' the line, and I recommend it to absolutely EVERYBODY, not just singles. The bags can be expensive, but I get good deals on eBay if I keep my eyes open, and now Wal-Mart is carrying FoodSaver supplies, too, at not unreasonable prices.

You got it right about the Cheetos fingers! Cleaning off my iMac's keyboard is taking way too much of my time!

I do need to get back on the wagon, however. Behind the fun and jokes is a serious need to get my weight down for my physical, emotional and social well-being, as well as normalize my insulin response and improve my cardiovascular health -- even more important to me now than my appearance.

After all, if Mel hasn't discovered me by this time, it's his loss!

Gina
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:30
empress of fashion

BF:

Are you tracking your food on fitday? Free site and helpful, especially when you are first starting out. (I think Mel uses it, too )
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:22

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Star, I have the FoodSaver too. I agree, the bags are a bit expensive but worth it in the end when you don't have to guess what meat you're taking out of the freezer.

That Mel sure is a busy guy...making movies, being a Rent-A-Keeper, filling out fitday. However does he find the time?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:37

BF:

Can you say "clone"?

sigh.... Wouldn't it be LOVEly??!!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:44
empress of fashion

BF:

Hey, the Italians just cloned a horse....I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before we start getting some mini-Mels!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 20:32

BF:
Talking Send in the clones

If we're cloning, I'll take an order of Sean Connery circa 1965.

I checked out the FitDay site and registered, but I doubt I'll use it. I find myself obsessing enough about what I am or am not eating without documenting every mouthful. I know it's a helpful aid for many people, but the way I look at it, the whole idea of low-carb eating is to change over to a healthful way of eating for life instead of "going on a diet." And as I've read over and over, in the books I've read and on this forum, every person has to adjust his or her carb intake to their individual physiological responses. I have to learn to listen to my body and gauge my success on how I feel, how I look and how my clothes fit, not on how my daily numbers add up.

Last edited by StarStuff : Fri, Aug-08-03 at 20:43.