Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 23:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/154/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

HI Smiler;

It was an article in the Capital News. I think it was just around Christmas - not sure whether it was before or after. I'll try to do some checking to see if I can find out anything.

Great news that you're going to open a LC store. Any idea when or where it's going to be?

Lorraine
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 17:18

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It would be wonderful if a LC store opened up in Kelowna. Of course I hope the prices would be reasonable or at least competative.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 21:52

Plan: atkins( induction)
Stats: 252/124/115 Female 60in
BF:55%/19%/15%
Progress: 93%

More and more I find that the products are being brought in to the mainstream stores like save on food and superstore. So the need for a low carb store is pointless as the big chains will knock them out of bussines as they catch up to us and our demand for product. I see the huge changes already and it has just begun. This is a revoulton not a fad. We are changing the way we eat for life and dam it is working. Now we just sit back and watch the large chains dance to get us what we want. And what we want is LOW CARB PRODUCTS!!!!!!! Lynn
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 09:39

BF:

It's true the big stores are getting more and more products but I find they carry only a select few items still. I have to run all over the place to get different items. It would be nice to stop in at one shop. Maybe eventually it will be like that at the big chains too. Any one stop shop would probably get my business.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 14:50

Plan: atkins( induction)
Stats: 252/124/115 Female 60in
BF:55%/19%/15%
Progress: 93%

I second that motion. It would be convient. Lynn
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:00

Plan: my own off and on
Stats: 244/193.4/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 79%

london drugs actually has quite a bit and at least their stuff goes on sale last week i got the lc bread there and also walmart i think has the cheapest bars
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi all;

to thenicestp;

Can you tell me what the cost of the Atkins bars was at Walmart? I haven't checked there. I get mine at Superstore for $29.99 for a box of 15 which is the best price I've found. And they finally got Pralines & Cream in stock!

to smiler;

My husband seems to think that the article I spoke about earlier was in the courier by John Thompson. I have emailed him to ask if it was his article. I'll let you know if/when I get a response.
BTW- can you give us a hint of where and when we can expect to come visit you in your new store???

to Allikins;

Did you ever get out to Sunshine Market? Their prices might be a tad higher, but they definitely have the largest and most varied selection of LC products.

If anyone else hears about the LC store supposedly coming (other than Smiler's of course) please post for all of us.

Thanks to all

Lorraine
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 04:53

Plan: my own off and on
Stats: 244/193.4/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 79%

they are 2.39 at walmart wich is pretty good
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 13:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi all;

Here's the scoop on the LC store. It is the same people who run http://www.lowcarbcentre.com/ in North Van. Apparently they are still in negotiations here, (not sure with whom) and that's all they would say. Maybe we should all keep an eye on the "franchisees" "press" links on their website.

Thanks for the info on the Walmar price thenicestp. I'll keep that in mind, if I happen to need a single bar. I prefer to buy in bulk - getting them for $2 a bar, but I don't always remember to bring one with me for a snack if needed.

Lorraine
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:55

BF:

PurpleRain: no I never did get out to Sunshine Market. I don't drive so one day when my husband and I have the day off together we'll check it out. Plus, I've already spent all my grocery money. I'll have to wait till payday! We're going to be heading out to Vancouver in March so I'll be looking at what's out there...probably even take a trip across the border if we have time.

I too get my atkins advantage bars at Superstore 15 for 29.99. You can also mix and match...although I prefer to just get Chocolate Coconut. Wal-Marts price isn't too bad though for singles.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/135/120 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress:
Default New Low Carb Store In Kelowna!!!

Hi Y'all!!

I've been checking back to this forum periodically and see that you gals are very passionate and dedicated to the low carb lifestyle. I too have had great success, (and some setbacks..so I can relate!) with low carbing and I really think a nice little one stop shopping store would be ideal here in Kelowna. I have researched many products and many locations and think I've found a great little spot.

I would really like to get in touch with all of you personally so I can be sure to order all those products you are having trouble finding or feel you want to try. My little store will be very personalized and there for you! I hope to be open mid March.

I hope to be meeting all of you and working together to achieve our goals

Still smilin, smiler
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/135/120 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress:

sorry, computer glitch.. I sent that email before seeing the latest thread..

Re: Larger supermarkets as competition
Dont you feel it is not always convenient with parking etc?Also, as a (sometimes very strict) low carber.. I personally don't like to shop in major grocery stores for my low carb items as too many temptations? Anyone feel this way?

I have been doing a lot of price research (nature's fare, sunshine market, vitamin stores etc) and really think I can compete. Also, the location I am thinking of has a really nice butcher and seafood market.. how convenient for low carbers... no?

I really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like Walmart has a great price for Atkins bars.. they have huge buying power.

I didn't know Low Carb Centre was moving into this area..would love to find out more about this. thanks so much for taking the time to research that for me.

I look forward to discussing more with you, you really are the experts here, I know I'm learning alot!

Yours in good health, smiler
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi Sarah;

I like the location myself. In fact I was going to send you a pm and ask if that was the location you had in mind.

Although we live in Westbank, we shop in Kelowna every week, as my Mom lives there and we always take her to do her shopping, which always includes a visit to Paul's Produce. I like L & D meats VERY MUCH, but find the prices at Codfathers to be astronomical. I don' usually mind paying a bit more for good quality (as I do at Paul's) but there is a limit.

As for the location being central, I'm not too sure about that, but with the way the development is going on at Balmoral, I think you just might have picked a great spot.

Good luck to you, and we can't wait till you're up and running.

Lorraine
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 15:29
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%
Talking Newbie

Hello fellow Okanaganites. I too am from Kelowna. I just joined a few days ago and am on day 3 of induction. I live over on the West side (Lakeview Heights area) I'd love to hear from ppl near me about places to shop and etc.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 14:13
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

HeySmiler, I would be completely ecstatic to have a lc store in Kelowna. I was at Save On Foods for about 3 hrs this morning reading labels. UGH!
I left there having shopped for my thin husband and son and barely got anything for me and my daughter who is going through induction with me.
It was absolutely frustrating. They could at least make a low carb aisle or two at the big supermarkets.

Pam