Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/146/123 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: -28%

hahah I ended up eating the rest of the junk when I got home, and I had dairy queen lastnight but to be honest, I don't feel all that bad. I only gained 1lb and I am going to workout today. I feel a little bloated but Im glad I did it. I don't have any cravings for anything today! I had a good breakfast (eggs, and bacon) and Im going to keep the carbs low for the next few days. Im going camping Thursday though so hopefully I don't cheat again!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:06

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I find the best way to keep myself from cheating is to make sure I don't skip any of my meals and keep myself from being hungry with snacks like cheese or deli meat. I find that if I skip breakfast it throws me off all day and I want to eat too much at my next meal. Don't you find night time is the worst?

Sounds like you need to stock up on low carb foods for your camping trip, Lucille. Try to keep as many on hand as possible.

I so wanted to cheat last night. I made roast beef which was soooo yummy...but I made yorkshire pudding for my husband because he can't have roast without it. I LOVE yorkshire pudding. I didn't have any of it though. I wonder how the Atkin's yorkshire pudding tastes.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 19:26
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs down I wanna cheat again!

Today is so hard! I want to cheat really bad and I can't stop thinking about Tim Hortons. OMG YUM!!!! I have been ok so far, but all I have on my mind is chocolate... I will be ok though. I am having chicken and zuchinni for supper tonight! Im still nervous for the camping trip because I am the only one in my family low carbing so it will be tough to resists all the snack foods that will be there. I will try my hardest though! We should do a challenge in September, all us okanaganers! Any ideas? I think that would really help us all if we set a goal or join (or make) some kind of challenge! Let me know what you guys think!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:14

Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!

It is hard to resist temptation! I know that for a fact!

The way I deal with cravings is to have something that is low carb but tastes like the food I'm craving. For example, if you are dying for chocolate, then you should try the Atkins Endulge chocolates. You can get them at Nature's Fare (in the plaza with Overwaite next to the mall). They are really good and not recommended for induction, but it much better for you to eat that instead of a real chocolate bar! That's my theory anyway.

I have no idea what kind of challenge to do. I have set one for myself. I am going to exercise at least 5 times a week. If I stick to that and the diet, then I will definitely reach my mini-goal of fitting into a size 12 by Christmas.

Does anyone have any ideas for a challenge/goal?

Hope to hear from you soon!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 15:50
Registered Member

BF:
Default how is everyone?

How is everyone doing? I seem to be gaining? Havent been exercising as much as I would like but its so hard in this heat! Im going camping tomorrow, really not sure if Im going to be able to stay Low carbing for the weekend. I will try though! Anyways, just wondering how you guys are doing.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 00:04

BF:

Lucille, I hope you have a great time camping. Stay strong. If it's impossible to stay LC then you can just pick up where you left off when you get back. Let us know how is went

My scale has been going up and down a bit lately. I got down to 192lbs...then went back to 194lbs...stayed there for a bit and finally have now gotten back to 192. I think it was because of the excitement of finding LC treats. I also snuck in a few berries....not much but maybe it was enough to throw me outta whack. Cut back on treats and no more berries for now.

I've been pretty lazy lately. I haven't been walking as much as I'd like to because like you said...it's just too hot. I know that's just an excuse I've been using. I'm being lazy. I was in the buddy/challenge section of the forum and saw a pedometer challenge. I've been thinking about getting a pedometer for a year and maybe I just might get one tomorrow along with a personal cd player. I need something to keep me motivated!

HarleyDee, good for you setting a goal for christmas. I can't remember ever being a size 12. That sure would be nice. I've been between sz 16-20 since my early teenage years.

I figure I'd like to be 160lbs by Christmas. That's about 2lbs a week.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 12:22

Hey All!!

Just saying hello. I went to GNC in the mall yesterday and bought some CarboLite products. I bought jelly beans, chocolates, sour slices (gummies). All those have 0g carbs (or so the package claims), but I haven't had any yet because I wonder about hidden carbs. I also bought the banana shake mix that's supposed to be good. Will let you know. It was VERY expensive though!

If I can eat these, I'm hoping Wal-Mart will get them soon.

Allikins, 2lbs a week is a very reasonable goal. My goal may be a little hard to get to, but it sure has me sticking to my diet. I'm on day 9 of strict induction and feeling great!

Good luck and keep in touch. It's nice to talk to people from the same area!!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 12:56

BF:

Glad you're feeling great...that's really important.

I just hope I don't run into any major stalls. I'm going to work hard at it.

Harleydee...I was thinking about going into GNC the last time I was at the mall. I didn't have enough money at the time though. This diet can get pretty expensive if you get into all the LC products. It sure would be nice to have some LC candies once in a while...especially some kind of mints.

It sure would be nice if there was one place in the area that had everything we needed. I get tired of finding a little here and a little there. I heard of a place in Calgary that had a whole store full of LC and diabetic products. I told my mom about it since she lives there and she's also doing Atkins. She said it has a lot of stuff at reasonable prices.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 15:09

I totally agree. It's hard to go to 5 different places to get 5 products (not to mention the gas!)

If you want a low carb breath mint, I found "FRISK". All the other mints and gum, even when sugar-free, have about 2g carbs per piece. "FRISK" has 0.13g carbs per mint. They're tiny, but deadly. Just one little one can get rid of the worst breath!

I only bought the jelly beans and the slices to try them. I definitely can't afford them every week. One little pack of jelly beans is $3.99 if you don't have a GNC card and $3.19 if you do. That's more expensive than buying candy at the movies!! But like you said, it's nice to have a change once in a while, but not all the time - I'd go broke.

I'll let you know how the shake is when I try it. I tried a BioX 3 Carb Protein Shake in Chocolate. It's supposed to have 30g protein and 3g carbs. I did not like it at all! I drank about 3 sips and poured it out. I bought a vanilla one to try too, but I'm kind of hesitant to try that.

Your mom's lucky to have a LC store. Nature's Fare sells some LC stuff (bread, muffins, cookies), but it's kinda expensive. It's $1.00 for a small blueberry muffin 6g carbs, $0.58 for a small cookie 1.5g carbs(but it's peanut butter - yummy) and about $4 for a small loaf of bread. On the up side though, it's a nice change from eggs. I had a muffin yesterday morn for breakfast. It was kinda dry, but it was definitely better than eggs! The cookies are not very peanut buttery though.

I didn't try the bread - I probably would have sliced it too big and doubled the carb count allowed!

Good luck with your hunt for LC. Let me know if you find anything anywhere else.

I'm looking for Diet Rite or Diet Crush - they are both supposed to be made with Splenda - but haven't found them yet.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 14:12

BF:

I'll have to get some "frisk" today when I go to work.

I was in the mall yesterday and went to look at exercise equipment at Sears. I'm thinking of getting an eliptical machine. They're pretty neat and it's something I'd use. I also looked in at GNC. Yup, very expensive but they do carry a lot of Carbolite stuff. Maybe I'll splurge at some point and get something. I've been to Nature's Fare a couple of times since I work near there. I haven't tried any of the bakery products yet.

I hear ya on the boring eggs breakfasts. I think I overdosed on eggs. I still like them but just not EVERY morning. I try to change it up a bit. I made Atkins zucchini nut bread and froze it. Sometimes I'll have a small slice with cream cheese. Or some mornings I'll have some deli turkey wrapped around cheese. I've never been a big "breakfast person" so this is a big change for me.

I have searched high and low for pop sweetened with Splenda. It's impossible. Diet Rite is an american thing I think. I went to the website and found nothing about it being out here. Diet Crush, I'm not sure about. As for the Talking Rain stuff, I emailed them and they suggested going to a local retailer and asking them if they'll get it. They said selected Costco's carry them but not all. I looked at the one here with no luck. Everything seems to contain Aspertame here. I do have some caffeine free diet coke in my cupboard. It doesn't have AS MUCH aspertame as some drinks and it's caffeine free too. I rarely drink it but I had one the other night. I was in heaven.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:17

I have an eliptical machine and it's great. It's infront of the tv so when I do use it I don't get bored.

The way I figure it, I drink about 1 diet pop a day and try to make it a diet sprite or ginger ale so it doesn't have caffeine. But when I'm out, most places only carry diet coke/pepsi, so I drink that. I'm strict with my carb intake that I allow myself the pop as a reward. I think if I stopped the carbs, sugar AND the pop my body would go into shock! (ha ha)

I tried 1/2 the Carbolite chocolate from GNC and it was GOOD!!!!!!!! The label had a warning "Excessive consumption can have a laxative effect" so I only had 1/2 the bar in case it had that effect on me. Well, I had no bad feelings, so this weekend I'll try the shake and the other products.

It's such a pity that this stuff was so expensive - I wish there was a place that I could buy the stuff cheaply! I'll go broke trying to lose weight - then I'd definitely be skinny cause I won't have $$ to buy any food at all!! {sigh}........

Hope you have a great weekend.

Good luck!!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 23:38

BF:

lol even without all the LC prepared stuff, I find this WOE expensive. It seems like I'm constantly at the grocery store.

I don't want to spend a lot on exercise equipment but I want an eliptical machine that's going to last. Sears was ok but I'm only 5'2" and the one they had seemed like the bars were too tall. I'm not sure where else to look. I've looked online at Sears.ca and canadian tire. I should look up in the Yellow Pages to find a fitness equipment store I guess.

I have read about some of the laxative effects of sugar alcohols. I do have these diabetic chocolate mint patties that are made with Maltitol. I only eat 1 if I really need that chocolate fix. It doesn't affect me but then again it's a pretty small chocolate. I wouldn't want to eat the whole bag (something I would have done before Atkins...can we say chocoholic).

Have a good weekend too. Hope those shakes are good...if they are, I might just make a trip to GNC
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 17:47

BF:

Just checking in to see how you guys are doing.

Lucille, how was camping?

That store in Calgary that had the diabetic and low carb products is called Diabetic Depot. My mom went there and the owner said there's a possibility that one is going to open up in Kelowna. I'm not sure what my mom considers lower prices but she said they were better than health food stores. *crossing my finger* I hope we get a store like that.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 23:06

BF:

I really hope that everything is going ok for you two. The fire was so scary last night with those winds blowing so strong. We're not in danger but we've still tried to get everything together just in case things get bad. The poor people who have lost their homes...I hope you're not in that area. I saw people all day who just don't know whether they have a home to go back to and it's so sad.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 14:41
Registered Member

BF:

HEY are you guys still around? Allikins & Harley? I didnt have access to a computer for the longest time. Thanks allikins, I am ok! How about you guys? Did the fire affect you or your families? I can't believe this is happening. Very sad time in Kelowna but I know we will get through it.

On a happier note, how it the dieting going? I am completely off the wagon right now. I have been really stress over everything that has happend. I have been eating like crap. Makes me feel better... hehe! But I hopefully can get back at it here.

Let me know how you are doing, I hope all is well!