Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 20:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/226/155 Female 5 Foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Leah,
Did you ride the treadmill today? Just start out slowly and work your way up.

My stationary bike was also used for hanging clothes.Since Friday it has been cleared off and used.I rode it 20 minutes on Friday,20 minutes on Saturday,20 minutes on Sunday and 25 minutes today.

I finally figured out how to take the battery case off.The only problem was that I didn't have 4 double A batteries to put in it.Will get some tomorrow then I will know more what I am doing on the bike.It logs both time and mileage.

I had a thought about the mileage.have heard of people using a map and logging the mileage on it as to how far they ride then seeing how far it takes them on a map.Thought that might be fun.All I know right now is how long I am riding but not the distance.

I've been enjoying all of our posts.Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 21:59

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:

Nancy, that's exactly what I do on my bike! LOL! I know it is one mile from home to the golf course entrance, it's 2 miles to the high school (before the bridge was out), it's 3.9 miles to the grocery store...etc. It's really fun to visualize where I am progress wise. I even do it another way. I have over 1000 miles on this bike and I have made 'road trips' all over the state using the same method.

You know what would be fun? See how long it takes us to peddle...or in Leah's case, walk....to each other's house! You guys game for that? Or to each other's state or something to make this some FUN! Got any ideas along those lines?

Happy huffing and puffing!
Nance
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 04:29

BF:
Default Nice Idea Nance

Nance,
I really like your idea of seeing how long it would take to peddle where each other lives.

I live in the southern most part of West Virginia in the mountains.There would be a lot of huffing and puffing up and down the mountains

Please tell me where you live Nance and Leah so I can check it out on a map and on a mapping site for distance.

Hope everyone has a really good l/c day.Since Friday I have done really well.

Nancy
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:51

BF:

Good morning Nancy! Looks like we're the only ones in the Lounge today. Sigh. Too bad. I was hoping we could get more people involved here. I won't give up though...this is too great a site to not make it work. I feel awful when I look at the threads and I was the last one to post on almost all of them!

Nancy I live Southwest of Portland, Oregon right up by the Washington border. If you can find Beaverton on a map, I am another 11 miles due west from there. Afraid I won't be joining you on the bike ride for a few days though. My butt was sore yesterday from a darned old boil! Just canNOT sit on the dinky little bike seat until it goes away as it is right where it hits wrong. LOL. I'll have to walk beside you to a Leslie Sansone tape today and tomorrow at least...but by gosh..I'm MOVING!!
Have a terrific Tuesday!
Nance
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 182/177/135 Female 64"
BF:a ton
Progress: 11%

Hi Nancy,

I'm 54 and pleased to be here. I knew it was time to lose weight when I saw pictures of myself at my daughter's wedding--Yikes!!

I'm just starting induction and there's so much to learn. (Years ago I used to do Stillman and I'd eat the cottage cheese with corn chips. No wonder I never lost much weight.) Now, I've read the Atkins book cover to cover and I'm going to go clean out and re-stock my pantry. I'm READY!!!

I've been on HRT for years and my doc said it was time I should start to get off it, so I've been lessening my doses. I'll be looking for support and helpful tips in that category, for sure.

All I can say at this point is, it's great to be here and I'm SO looking forward to feeling better and lighter!

Rian
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:19

BF:
Default Nice To Meet You Rian

Rian,
It is so nice having you join us.Good luck with Induction.It isn't all that hard.Some people try to make more of it than it really is.
I've been on this WOE since January.I've lost 25 pounds with many more to go.The last 2 months I have gone up and down the same 3 pounds.I am getting serious again.I found this forum a few days ago.It has been such a motivation factor for me.
Nance and I are doing a challenge to ride our stationary bikes.That keeps me really motivated.
You have done the right thing by reading the Atkins book before you started Induction.I did the same as you and got rid of lots of foods that we didn't want tempting us.
If you have any questions ask away.Jump right in and make yourself at home.We will look forward to getting to know you.
Nancy
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:23

BF:

Nance,
So sorry that you have that nasty boil and can't ride a long with me.Believe me I know how you feel.It's been years since I have had a boil but I was fortunate to not have one where it must hurt to just sit down.

Good for you for walking a long with Leslie Sansone.How did you do?

I have a Richard Simmons Sweatin to The Oldies exercise tape which I love.Haven't done it in awhile.Thought I would concentrate on riding my stationary bike now.It seems to be a harder workout than Sweatin To The Oldies.

I forgot to buy the batteries for my bike when I was out today.Will get them as soon as possible since I know having the odometer etc..will make the bike riding more pleasurable.

Nancy
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:13
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Hiya, everyone. You all sound as if you were making tracks today. I love the idea of charting how far we bike/walk, to see the distance we cover. I'm in eastern Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia, should anyone want to come this way.

Chloesue, I love Sweatin to the Oldies! But unlike you, I can't even do the whole tape, let alone wish for more vigorous exercise. I walked my 3 miles last night, and today brought my son to the science museum, which is vast and includes climbing LOTS of stairs, so I feel fairly well worn out. But I MUST do my Pilates tape one of these days.

Food went well today, except for the hot dog minus the bun that I ate by default at the science museum (it was the least toxic thing there) Must get enough veggies in tonight.

Have a good evening, ladies.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power - slightly modified
Stats: 185/156.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:gettin' better!
Progress: 71%
Talking jumpin' in with two sore hips ...

greetings all!

I'll be 53 in December and feeling better all the time. We've been LC'ing for 4.5 years and exercising regularly for longer than that. Soreness is always a surprise, but that's what comes of trying something new. It really does go away - just don't stop doing what you're doing.

Right now DH and I are doing 3 days of 4+ mph walking and 3 days of nordic trak/exercise ball (hopefully to incorporate the strength training thing) - we call those our torture days.

I'll be honest though, some days, all of this really wipes me out and I drag my butt through the rest of the day (whining and moaning as needed :-). But, little by little, I do feel stronger and more able. Hellzbellz, I can even do some pushups, can you believe that??

So, we'll keep on doing what we need to - we all have choices, and this is a much better one, don't you think?

Stay well and keep smiling, it really does help.

Holly
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:19

BF:

Wow! What a great surprise to stop in here and see new faces! Welcome all to Chloesue's excercise thread! It's a lot more fun to excercise with friends than to try to go it alone.

I struggled through just the mile tape today Nancy. Sigh. Between plantar fasciitis (sp?) in left foot and both knees giving problems it makes it tough. But by darn I'M tough too! I think this might be a cyst instead of a boil. It comes back in the same place about every 3 months for the last 12 years!! If I wasn't so embarrassed by it...and it seems unimportant somehow...I would tell the doctor about it.

I cannot go clear down to induction levels without my creatinine levels going wonky (kidney function). I can only go down to about 60 carbs per day so I am in a 7 month stall. But the weight loss is secondary to me. I just want the good health and that I'm getting!! I have another Dr appointment in a couple weeks and we'll discuss whether I can go lower. I'm a heart by-pass/kidney failure survivor so have other problems besides the weight.

Keep up the good work ladies!! Let's hope some of the guys stop in and join us. We can bike/walk/skip our way across America!!

Blessings to all,
Nance

Last edited by MizSteaks : Tue, Jul-29-03 at 19:22. Reason: "Cause I cain't spel!!!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:54
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

OK, I'm going to the gym and I'm going NOW. Right after I post this, I mean. I will walk three miles on the track and then try the Nordic-track type thingie (forget its name) for at least ten minutes. Then I will lift my pitifully light weights and do some crunches. And if I bail out, you all are invited to scold me to your hearts' content.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 12:12

BF:

Hi guys! Sorry I'm so late this morning but 'puter keeps crashing!
I bit my lip and rode the bike, boil and all! I decided that if I let every little pain or problem keep me from excercising I would probably never move again! LOL! SO...I only lasted for 8 minutes but that was better than nothing. I think it was almost 2 miles.
Y'all have a good day today...gonna post this quick before I crash again!
Nance
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 20:31

BF:

I just wrote part of a post and lost it.Hope I can remember what I wrote,lol.

I rode my stationary bike 20 minutes today.I bought the batteries for the bike but the odometer still isn't working.My hubby said that he would look at it tomorrow.

Wish I knew how far I was riding it when I ride it 20 minutes.Do any of you have a rough estimate of how far I would be going in that amount of time.I know I really feel it when I peddle away.

Nance.....You did really well walking the mile yesterday.Then you managed to ride your bike for 8 minutes today.Way to go.Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your computer.

Rose...How did it go for you at the gym today?

Nancy
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 21:57

BF:

Nancy, here's an idea. Count how many revolutions your right foot goes around for one minute. I'll do the same number of revs on my bike and see what the odometer says. How's about that?

I stopped using my second bike when the odometer broke on it. I LIKE knowing those silly little things...it makes it more FUN!! LOL! This bike is a cheapy that will not last too much longer, but so far everything works unless I work too hard. Then I slip the belt and come to a screeching halt until hubby can overhaul it. Makes me slow down a lot more than I like to.

Here's something interesting that I got in an email from RealAge today:

Quote...
Engaging in low-intensity exercises not only will burn extra calories, but it also may safeguard your heart.
A recent study compared the effects of different kinds of exercise on the cholesterol profiles of older women. After several weeks, heart-friendly cholesterol changes were observed in the women regardless of whether they performed high- or low-intensity exercises. The heart benefits depended on how long, not on how hard, they exercised.

RealAge Benefit: Exercising regularly can make your RealAge as much as 9 years younger.

End quote...

Hope they don't mind me sharing tht since I gave them full credit for it. Thought it very pertinent to this thread.

Nite all!
Nance
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 23:42

Stats: 169/162/140? Female 5'4"
BF:28/?/?
Progress: 0%

Hey Ladies!!!!
Sorry I haven't checked in with you in a while. It looks like you are all doing pretty good.

I like the idea of charting how far it is to each others home. I suppose I better get walking more, cuz at the rate I'm going, it will be a very long time before I would get to see each of you!

Well the last two days around here have been very trying. We got the modem cable set up to my computer (Mac), then we had to network hubbies PC into the system, which meant going to buy Ethernet Card, and a router!

Needless to say, I was busy the whole time searching websites to get info on how to hookup all this "techy" stuff! For some reason, during my glorious ( ) 50's, I can no longer remember things!!!! It is awlful, do you guys have that problem too????? I waste more time trying to remember where I put something than I do anything else during the day!

But I got it all hooked up and luckily hubby and I are still together (we both have our own ideas on how to do things!)

I did get on the treadmill for about 15 minutes yesterday, but have to figure out how to get some kind of laptop stand to hook on the bar rail...so I can be online while I'm exercising!!!!

What an invention that would be (is there such a thing out there already?).

Well for those that are charting "exercise trips", I live in Northeast Texas (Daingerfield), 64 miles southwest of Texarkana, and 100 miles east of Dallas. I live in the Piney Woods of East Texas!

So hop on those stationary bikes or whathave you, and crank 'em up! I will leave the light on for ya!

ps: Just finished my 1st week of induction, YIPPPPPEEEEEE!!!!

I will stop in tomorrow and check on you guys!
Closed Thread