Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:19

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%
Default CAD/CALP It Does Work!

For those of you wondering if this WOE works, this is my story. I got up to 380 pounds in 2000. In February of 2000, we got a new car. The seat belt was not generous enough. I thought of getting a seat belt extender, but decided to lose weight instead.

I didn't want to do Atkins because of possible chest pains I had had before when trying it. I found out about CALP by searching for low-carb options on the internet. I bought the books and started the diet in March of 2000. The first month, I lost 45-50 pounds. I lost the remaining 50-55 pounds in the next 11 months, for a total of a bit more than 100 (I seem to remember being around 273-274 pounds) lost. I went off of LC. I think I gained about 10-15 pounds back and maintained that pretty well until March of 2002, when I had x-rays done. I found out I had arthritis, a permanent disability. I was not taking any medications for the pain. I gained to about 320 pounds. (my brain went crazy for a while)

In September, 2002, I went to a new Dr. At that time I was 311 pounds. My daughter joined WW September 18, 2002. I went to a meeting a week later. I did a lot of research about WW on the internet, and two weeks after she joined, I joined.

At first, I enjoyed the all the carbs I could eat and still stay on WW. But, two months into it, I had a gain (.4 pounds) and decided to go back to CALP.

I have been stalled at around 240 since mid-May. I was experimenting with different things (like Somersizing)and have started easing back to CALP as of this week.

So, it does work. I have lost 140 pounds from my highest weight. I still have a long way to go!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet-NO Meat or Poultry
Stats: 208/225/205 Female 66 inches
BF:~40%
Progress: -567%

Hello Kokle,

Welcome to the CA's forum. it's good to hear that CLAP is working for you, I think this WOE is a great lifestyle change.

gowe
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 17:34

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Wow what an inspiration-great work!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 07:36

I started a journal if anyone is interested.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:47

I was looking at your recent posts and noticed that there are a lot of them. I am saying this, because for at least two weeks, I was getting "internal server errors" whenever I would try to get on this website. I tried on another computer in my house and got the same thing.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:47

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

What a journey! Welcome.

Deb
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 07:43

I finally caught up on my journal entries from the time I was unable to get onto this web site.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 05:33

I wanted to bump this post for those who aren't sure if CALP works for others. As of this post, I have lost 150 pounds. 25 of them are solely from doing Weight Watchers. The other 125 are from doing CALP. (I tried Somersizing, but was eating too many carbs and was constantly hungry.)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 06:40

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 316/228/150.0 Female 5'3
BF:54
Progress: 53%

Hi Ilse,

I am very happy for you and your success with CALP. I bet you are walking on air.

I have a question or two for you. I have been struggling between Atkins and CAD for a while now, being inconsistent and frustrated. My current weight is 302#grrr. Anyway, part of me thinks Atkins is best because of the quicker weight loss and ridding yourself of all the carb addictions and part of me thinks CAD is best because I know I'd HATE to give up "fun" food like pizza and ice cream for the rest of my life! When I am on CAD and it comes to the Reward Meal, I get SOOOOOOOO sleepy afterwards! I know it has to be the sugar. I keep inside the 60 minute time frame. When I am eatting the other meals (non or low-carb) I feel peppy and energetic. So, my question is-Have you ever experienced the sleepiness after your Reward Meal? I feel CAD is the best, just don't like the feeling, like I've cheated, like I can't stay awake...whatcha think?

Also, I have read both books, but personally, do YOU drink tea w/ splenda between meals or diet soda? Just a question. I DO and know it's wrong, but tell myself it's sweet and it keeps me going, like I'm not being deprived anything.

You are very inspiring and I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 12:06

I drink a lot of water. I don't drink diet soda except rarely, as most of it contains Nutrasweet and I get sugar-cravings from Nutrasweet (Equal/aspartame). I used Splenda, which does not give me cravings. When I make my own ice cream, I use crystalline fructose, which also doesn't trigger cravings.

Have you tried making your RM's less carby? Does that help? I find, as I get older, I have to do less carbs than I used to, as I bloat from them and the carbs trigger hunger for me. I can always tell when I have had too many carbs in my RM. I wake up starving the next day.

This is how I make my own ice cream:
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup decaffinated cold coffee
2/3 cup crystalline fructose
vanilla (around 1 tsp)
unsweetened cocoa powder (around 2 Tablespoons)
2 eggs

I mix everything together and put in the ice cream maker for 20-25 minutes.

I have some when it comes out and save the rest for another day.

I usually will do this for my RM and skip most of the other carbs.

Since I am doing WW, I can't really have pizza. One slice of cheese and pepperoni is 6 points. (that's like a regular burger at Mc Donalds) I would usually eat 4-5slices, so it's too big of a caloric bite.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 12:24

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

How many carbs, do you think, you consume in a day (with the reward meal)? And the reward meal...is it dinner or lunch...or fluctuating?

Also, do you every drink alcohol...this may be my problem since I have one night a week that hubby and I socialize and alcohol is a part of it. I know on CAD you are suppose to drink only during the 1 hour reward meal...I can't do that...I'm a sipper. So do you think I can still do CAD?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 19:11

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default It Does Work!!!!!

HI everyone,
the realization that CAD works hit me real hard this past two weeks. i have never in my life, and i am only 24, been so happy with the way i eat. i came from atkins and before that stict calories restriction and rapid weight gain. i lost most of my weight on atkins, and would switch to cad on occasions. I always thought that CAD was not real cause i'd gain weight every time i used the theory. after losing and gaining the same 20 pounds, i decided to stop the yo-yoing and just maintain. i tried summersized, sugar busters and zone. atkins is a lose weight plan for me but not something i could do for life, but the others i tried made be crave and think of food all day long. i struggled to stay on plan. the fact i learned was I COULD NOT EAT CARBS THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND FEEL CONTENT!i could not have only 1 slice of toast or 1 cup oatmeal i wanted to eat the "ON DIET PLAN" foods all day long. SO i was back to cad. cad seemed brighter now. i recommited in January. But i still did not get it. When i got it, i omited nuts, sweetners, and diet drinks to cm's. When my cm's got in check the binging at rm's stoped .i desired regular portions and cravings reduced to almost nothing on most days. This past two weeks, i was on vacation. i travelled to the US. I intended to eat well. all the great lc foods, fruits and veggies that i can't get at home, i'd indulge for rm's. I PLANED TO STAY ON PLAN. sadly, the first day for rm i had mc donalds, second, wendys, and many days were "all you can eat restaurants." i loved the food, meals were unbalanced everyday. i did not binge but i was full after eating rm.during my stay i weighed my self almost every day(except the first 2 days and last 2 days) on a digital scale. no matter what i eat the scale remained the same. i found my proof that cad worked!!!!
when i got home to my horror my scale said i gained 4 pounds . i did not panic! it could have been the weight gain the first 2 days i didn't weigh cause of the unbalanced meals and eating the wheat i abandoned weeks before, or the last 2 days after eating sugarfree fat free ice cream. the ice cream got me bloated and gasy. i am 2 days back home and i am happy to say that the 4 pounds disappeared. 2 days of almost balanced RM's and the gain disappered. The shocker is i feel thiner than i left on vacation!!!! the scale doesn't show but my tummy feels flater. i have nor eaten dessert and not been sorry for it on any onter plan. I ATE DESSERT EVERYDAY!!!AVARAGE TO GENEROUS sevings not binging. Cad is liveable and believable. for the first time in my life i can maintain my weight. weight loss for me is slow on CAD, maintaining 80 pound loss is priceless
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 12:09

I usually don't drink alcohol. I think it's a waste (for me) of potential RM food.

I don't count carbs. It's probably above 80G many days, sometimes less.

I think if you want to follow the CAD rules, you need to find a way to consume all of your food and beverages duing the 60 minute time frame CAD allows.

I think what you are doing when you drink the alcohol is that you are providing your body with a really ready form of energy. This means it will not go to the fat for energy. And, most likely, carbs will be turned into fat, since the body doesn't need the carb energy either.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 12:11

I forgot to say that my RM is dinner on weekdays and usually lunch on weekends.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 09:57

Plan: CALP
Stats: 289/274/142 Female 5'4''
BF:48% hand held unit
Progress: 10%

yes, yes, yes, it does indeed work! hi, everyone. I'm new to this board having just completed my first week on CALP. I'm happy to report an amazing 8 lb. loss! I've dabbled in low-carb (as well as every other diet known to man) for the past 20+ yrs. and watched my weight climb to almost 300 lbs. I've known intellectually for years that low-carb was the only way to lose in my case but it was always sooooo hard to stick to! Good intentions, steely determination, & great support always flew out the window after day 5 or 6 when I'd cave in to a carb binge that would last for days (then rinse & repeat!) I'd feel like such a failure, especially while seeing others having tremendous success! Atkins, PP, Zone, Sommersizing, WW, Lean for Life, I've tried them all countless times and now I've finally found what works for me. CAD/CALP (which I read many yrs ago & dismissed as surely a gimmick!) has given me not only weight loss (which is fantastic!) but something nothing else has since the 2 months I tried Fen-phen in '96... ABSOLUTE APPETITE CONTROL! NO MORE CRAVINGS, IT'S TRUE!!!! I finally feel towards food like a NON-OVERWEIGHT person.....this has always been my dream. After eating my balanced RM each day I feel real SATISFACTION, not just that dull "full" feeling you get from other low-carb woe's. Yes, I can see myself eating this way forever, a true WOL!!!I thank you regular posters for your suggestions, advice & helpful comments & look forward to getting to know you all better.