Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:52
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Someone should announce that Boots have found the WMD and are keeping them from falling into the hands of the dreaded Atkins sect of Lowcarbism.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:02
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Stop Stop Stop I cant take anymore of this laughing
Keto sticks SHOULD carry a public health warning!! It should state "Please be aware Boot the chemist will not sell this product, so please do not to atempt to but them there, as you may have serious accidents whilst laughing ie, peeing ones self or jerking your ribs in a maner which eventualy hurts and worse very sore cheek bones!!"

I'd love to know if it is just boots the chemist that wont sell those offensive little weapons, that in the wrong hands could mame or kill!!
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

Tonight's News:
"Today a woman in Texas slipped while on the toliet and was attacked by a nearby bottle of Ketostix. Sadly, her injuries were so severe that the woman's life couldn't be saved, despite efforts by local slim-fast supporters. Services will be held tomorrow at the funeral home located next to Boots."
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 17:53

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

OHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 01:08
Ex-Patriot

#36   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 03:23
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggiebro
Tonight's News:
"Today a woman in Texas slipped while on the toliet and was attacked by a nearby bottle of Ketostix. Sadly, her injuries were so severe that the woman's life couldn't be saved, despite efforts by local slim-fast supporters. Services will be held tomorrow at the funeral home located next to Boots."

It had been noted that Boots held their head high during the funeral service as they had not sold the lady the sticks!! Futher investigations found that the nearby branch of Superdrug had sold the dangerous bottle of keto sticks!! The Branch manager was not available to comment!!
Cheif constable Ploddy Feet said "a full investigation of the tragic events has now been launched!! Any witnesses are being urged to come forward with any information they may have!!"
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 04:20
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20

*LOL*
You people are nuts! I love it!
I got a bottle of ketostix this morning (ordered them online, paid too much :P ) and I was intrigued to note that on the little bit of paper they stick in with them, it says that high levels of ketones are highly dangerous etc etc (Not qualifying this with the "If you have high blood sugar or are insulin dependant diabetic" rider which makes all the difference).
I guess the manufacturers need to do some homework too?

S
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 04:38
Ex-Patriot

They're right. High levels of ketones do denote a dangerous condition in the body. It's just that low carb dieters, despite all the hysterical press, don't actually have ketone levels anywhere NEAR what is medically considered "high."

Example: Typical blood ketone levels on a lowcarb weight loss diet are 5-6 mmol/dl. Diabetics in ketoacidosis generally have a blood ketone level of 20 mmol/dl, or even higher. More than twice that of a keto dieter.

Last edited by tholian8 : Wed, Jul-30-03 at 04:39.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 04:42
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

:LOL:

ROTFLMAO

Lisa, vous etes formidable!

Maybe if we went into Boots and said "je cherche les ketostix" they might get confused and sell them to us. There again, we'd probably get the one member of staff who has a degree in French
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 04:44
Too kinky for you

Hiya
Yeah I agree with you about blood ketones. These test urine ketones though, and LC dieters often go right into the upper limits of the test range (because we dump the ketones instead of them building up to dangerous levels) - the way I read it was that if you're reading "large" you're in trouble...

#41   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 04:57

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Sinbad

I and many others only ever have trace amounts of ketones in their urine. The higher level of ketones does not mean that you are burning more fat etc, a low level is quite acceptable. The ketostix only tell half the story. There was a good article in the GO-Diet about this which I have reproduced in my journal. If you look at the index on the front page it will take you directly there.

Although not always the case, if you have high levels of ketones showing then it could be because you are not drinking enough fluids.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 05:02
Too kinky for you

Hiya Anne
Tried to PM you but it didn't work? (newbie here)
I know that people don't always go into the high zones - but then again, some people do! I don't think they're in any more danger than people who don't... I also know that high ketones in urine aren't a sign you're doing "better"... My argument was that high ketones in urine don't ALWAYS signify danger, which is what the leaflet in the ketostix implied.
Cheers
S
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 05:19

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

My ketostix (when I use them!) usually show in the moderate to high range, but have been known to be as dark as they go, I drink LOTS of water every day - that's ok right?
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:04

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!

Bumped up for Tricia.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:58

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Dear old Boots... happy to sell me the Slimfast which got me in such a mess in the first place, but do I dare ask them for the Little Sticks of Blasphemy TM?! So I bought online...

http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/ sell ketostix at £3.95 for 50... but be warned of the flat rate UK delivery charges upwards of £4.95 (for 3-5 day delivery). Ouch!

Instead I bought mine from good old http://www.carblife.com/ for a far more rational £4 per 50 and £1.80 delivery. Great service, and the sticks arrived within 24 hours of ordering!

Not quite as cheap as Superdrug et al, but at least nobody argued with me!

Hope this helps.