Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/142/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 42%

Mine was ultra sounded in April and was about 3 times the normal size at that time. Doc said it is going down now.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 17:52

Plan: haven't started yet
Stats: 135/145/120 Female 5'4
BF:0%
Progress: -67%

Wow that is awesome Patti and MJ!! It is good to hear things are going well and that weight loss is possible. I am won't know anymore for another 3 weeks - so I will let u know then how happy or sad I will be!

Take care!
M
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 04:33
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 155/146/135 Female 5'3.5"
BF:25%
Progress: 45%

I was dx w/ Hashi's 2 years ago--I had a bad reaction to Synthroid--gained 10lbs in 4 weeks and had swelling in my legs. Switched to Armour and things got better. However, I have only lost 10 lbs since then and have been on strict Atkins (only 10-15 carbs for the last 4 years! So, I just switched to Scwarzbein Principle about a week and a half ago--hoping to see some results.

Carol
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:52

Stats: 175/175/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%

Mokia,
I am new to the thyroid confusion also. I was just reading your post about how you seem to be yo-yoing between hyper and hypo. I think the same thing is happening to me. Most of the time I am cold, exhausted and gaining weight, but sometimes I get so overheated and restless and I just can't stop moving! I had some blood tests taken a few weeks ago and my TSH level was .35 (hyper) but the endo said most of my symptoms don't fit with that. So I'm just supposed to sit here and go back in 6 months for another test. Obviously the endo doesn't have a thyroid condition or he would realize what torture it is to sit and do nothing when you feel like crap all the time!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 10:33

Hi jessgerke and all!!

Hope all is going well.

First thing - let me update you. I went for a blood test on Thursday and got my results yesterday. It seems that I am now in the normal range TSH = 4.845. For those of you keeping track of my strange case: 1st - TSH = .004 (hyper) 2nd one - TSH = 10.6 (hypo) 3rd one - TSH = 6.0 (slighlty above normal) and now 4th one = 4.845 (normal). Yet even though I am normal I am still going thru a combination of symptoms - gaining weight, profusely sweating, restless at night, etc. So now I am supposed to sit tight and wait 3 months to run another test. My doc says that eventually I will settle into one extreme or another (hypo or hyper) but it is a matter of time till that happens - could be 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years.

Jessgerke - it seems like we are going thru the same thing - has your doc given u any advice as to how to deal with this - should u be doing anything special in the interim while you wait?

To everyone out there - is this common of Hashimoto's disease? And what special precautions should I take? Avoid seafood, iodine salt, etc?

Any advice would be great!!

Take care,
Mokia
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:45

Plan: The zone
Stats: 149/127/120 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress: 76%
Unhappy ...no experience

Hi Mokia and Jessgerke,

Unfortunately I have no advice to give you...:-(. I was hyper for some months but it was due to the fact that I stopped taking the pill (my TSH went down to 0.09). My doc reduced a little bit the daily dose of L-thyroxine and asked me to have a blood test two weeks afterwards. I thought it was pretty strange to have a blood test just two weeks after the readjustment in dose but I started to feel much better just after a few days. The new blood test showed TSH levels of 0.35 and my doc was happy and kept the new dose. So, I will have the next blood test in two months, just to see if the new dose is still OK.

I do not know what are worse, hyper or hypo sympthoms, but it must be extremely tiring having both (when I was hyper I felt really bad as well). Lots of good wishes to both of you.

mjose
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 15:21

Thanks mjose!

Just talking makes me feel better - at least for a little while

Thanks for the wishes - good luck to u as well and I will keep u posted!

mokia
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 07:58

Stats: 158/142/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi Mokia,
All my doc suggested was my synthroid. He also put me on Actonel, for possible bone loss, (More of a female than male problem) He said the goiter was shrinking and he would see me in November. I have read that people with Hypothroid should avoid Soy products, but that is the only restriction. Never heard avoid sea food. patti
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:34

Stats: 175/175/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%

Mokia,

Believe it or not, my endo recommended going on antidepressants to see if that helps. Apparently, a lot of the symptoms of thyroid disease are also symptoms of depression and since the symptoms I am having don't match with my thyroid problem he thought it might be from depression. I really don't care what's causing it, as long as the medication makes me feel better and not exhausted all the time! I think they want to see if the hyper symptoms are being hidden by the depression? I don't know. I hope things are going better for you. I never realized until now how many things are affected by your thyroid and how many people have thyroid problems!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 15:50

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I thought I would mention that your TSH levels are supposed to be between .3 and 3.0

These are the new numbers given in March 2003 by the Endocrinologist Community. Most women feel good between 1.0 and 2.0
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 17:35

Wow really??!! So according to that I am hyperthyroidic?

Thanks for the info Jeanne!! And congratulations on your loss of inches - that sure is motivating! How long have you been on the Atkins diet?

Mokia
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 17:39

CORRECTION:

Sorry I mean hypothyroidic not hyper in the above post.

Mokia
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 15:04

Hi everyone!!

Hope you (Pattip, mjose, jessgerke, teeneelove, Jeanne Sch, oowwoo) all are doing well.

Jessgerke- how are you doing? Are u still yo-yoing or are u getting treatment?

So it has been 3 months since my last blood test and it is time for me to go back to the Dr. - I have an appointment on Monday so I will post after that to tell u guys my crazy cycle.

BTW, Jeanne Sch - can u tell me where u had gotten that info about the normal range being 0.3-3.0 - I want to bring that info to my doctor and see if she is informed because she feels that my readings of 4.8 and 6.0 are normal and if that is not the case then I want treatment cause I am tired of being exhausted all the time and gaining weight for no reason. Thank you - I appreciate it!

Hope to hear from you guys!

Take care,
Mokia
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 16:40
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Last edited by surfer376 : Fri, Nov-07-03 at 16:42.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 22:26

Thanks so much Chari !!

That is a tremendous help - I will bring this article for my Doctor to see so she can make a better diagnosis, since I haven't been under any sort of treatment yet only on "observation" for the last almost year.

I am tired of all the symptoms already without any help.
Will keep you posted.

Thanks again!
Mokia