Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Summers/Atkins
Stats: 240/250/145
BF:
Progress: -11%

Although I am peri and 46 1/2, I went thru night sweats and terrible mood swings about 4-6years ago. I knew what it was but my doctor said I was too young and I must be depressed.

My mood swings were so bad I went from crying one minute to anger so bad I wanted to kill, and I live alone. I treated myself with herbs and vitamins. At least there are no more night sweats and mood swings. All though those syptoms were better the bleeding/clotting was getting heavier and longer( fibroid tumor), I still managed to loose 100 pounds. Now the last 100 will not budge!

Just because someone is going thru menepause does not mean they MUST take HRT. I know I will not but will treat it with herbs and vitamins like I did with the night sweats /mood swings. Just my humble opinion.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Shoshie,

Well I forgot to mention that menopausal woman also get very excited very easily.
And you are right, I am frustrated! I've been so good on Atkins and only lost a few pounds. I have to say that some woman have a easier time at menopause than others. With weight and other symptoms as well but I am not "having a good time". You are 41 and I am 52, I'm sure the age adds something there.

I'd like to go off the hormones but I have problems with deep depression without them.I don't remember where i read it (memory loss,Menopause symptom)but one Lady said Dogs and possibly little children would not be safe around her. I know she was kidding but I can relete.

Pam
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 14:06
HELP!!!

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/175/140 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 56%

Pam,
I know what you are going through. I do get forgetful and I have some break through night sweats, memory lost and if I forget my meds I am nasty as hell. I am not fit to be around. The only difference is most women get eased into menopause I was tossed in in a matter of hours. You have to learn to deal with the things you can not change and change the things that you have control on. Menopause is not a license to be nasty and excited. I would be happy to help you through anything that I have the ability to. I think that you need to start a journal. It will help you and let others help you as well. Sometimes other people can see or offer advise.
Shoshie
drop me a note in my journal if you wish to continue this conversation.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 14:10
HELP!!!

Stats: 219/175/140 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi Cindy you are 100 % right not everyone has to have HRT. I have to since I had surgery on the young side and was whisked into it. Not like others who have had years to start to deal with it. I also like the relief that the meds give me. each to their own.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 14:11

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default hi

Im learning lots!!!!!!! I agree that the progesterone cream is a good thing...Good book by Dr. Christian Northrop all about that stuff and peri/and menopause....(thats a lady). I know your body changes lots as time goes on.....For bone health take your calcium and magnesium...and do weight bearing excersises...(walking)...For muscles do light weights...For your heart do aerobics....BUT, I don't know what we can do about the weight stall...keep trying?????
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 15:27

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Talking Well!

Something tells me we've stumbled onto a topic that really needs it own area!!

I am in menopause, but I never went on HRT. (hyst. 3 years ago but still have both egg plants).

My sister gained 40 pounds the first six months she was on premarin. All the while her Dr. kept telling her that estrogen doesn't cause weight gain. "It must be something else, HE said."
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 15:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/155/130 Female 5'3"
BF:clueless...
Progress: 55%

...i just returned form the doctor...he is going to check my thyroid...we spoke in length about Atkins, and he is 100% for it...worked for him and lowered his cholerterol as well...i've been on hrt for 12 years, like i said, after my emergency hysterectomy....i was 42...i'm now 54, and tried to go off premerin a while back and wents nutz...night sweats started, then spontanious sweats...irritability, mood swings, and "bitch from hell" attitude...i am afraid to stop again...it sucks, but my weight gain started later, like i said, after i got sober 4 years ago...doc said my metabolism went into a type of shock when food was re-introduced and i haven't been the same since...i also am probably taking in hidden sugars that i'm not aware of...shit, this is so frustraiting!!! i should be at least 20-30 ponds lighter by now and NOTHING! i still say age is such a deterrent...maybe i should opt for plastic surgery...
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 17:43

BF:
Default Hi

It does all SUCK, doesnt it!!!!!! Make sure if anyone drops any weight to post it here....Cause we wanna congratulate!!!!!! We call this the, "SUPER EFFORT CLUB BRANCH OF DOC. ATKINS." Don't give up gals...has anyone done their measurements lately? Maybe we are losing inches.....
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 18:33

Stats: 120/109/100 Female 58.5
BF:
Progress: 55%
Cool

Hi to all , I've been without TOM for 1 1/2 yrs. Once it stopped i gained 15lbs. I've been on atkins since 2/1/03 and have lost 9lbs, so far. Very slow and discouraging but physically feel better. I think for most of us at this stage metabolism has just slowed . Wish you all well and for woosh fairy to visit!!!!!!!
sue
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:33

BF:
Default Hi

Have you been doing all the excersising too...but still only 9lbs gone?
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:36

BF:

On the other hand, if I read your post right, you are already pretty small. It's those infamous "last 10-12 pounds" that are always the hardest.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:37

BF:
Default actually

actually...9lbs would be pretty damn fine....
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:40

BF:
Talking Gudjul!

Hey. You're exactly one week younger than I am!

You're still a kid. Wait till you get to be my age.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:45

BF:
Default Me?

Little old me? Hey I'm still wearing bell bottoms....
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:49

BF:

Actually, Lady Di, it is Gudjul who is one week younger than I.

According to your profile, you're younger still. I am going to start feeling like the little old lady around here. Like that's a change of pace (not!)

The other day, I was buying a bottle of wine, and I briefly panicked because I didn't have any ID with me. Then it hit me! I haven't been carded since Jimmy Carter was in office!