Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 03:47
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 250/243.8/121
BF:
Progress: 5%

VM, sorry, just realised that i forgot to reply to your query on why I'm taking certain supplements (I have a quirky "thing" where I MUST reply if s/thing has been asked of me, sadly its not true of everyone else so when someone DOES respond I'm twice as happy!) Aaaaanyways...

Like you VM I really cannot recall why I take 1/2 the supplements I do!! What happens is that I make a search somewhere or read a post that pin-points the benefits of a certain supplement, if the effect coincides with s/thing i feel I'm lacking or need then I just write it down and get it, often forgetting why I got it in the 1st place!!! Usually if I see that one supplement is constantly mentioned in doing a certain something very well then I buy it and promptly forget about why, knowing that I'd researched its good use at the time.
However i do know that i take Golden Seal to kill the yeasty beasties I have in my intestine from Candida Albicans. I suffer from Candidiasis, I discovered that this is one reason for slow weight loss usually (but not always) brought about by a low fat diet (high in SUGAR and lots of antibiotics etc)... I did the spit - test http://www.cassia.org/CanDiscussion.htm
and a long questionaire and started trying to remedy it but its nearly impossible to delete forever and recurrs periodically, so I take Golden Seal to kill the yeasties and acidophillus, Bifidus, FOS and HCL Betaine plus a probiotic multi vit/min tab to ensure that all is replaced with good bacteria and that the ph balance of my stomach is as anti bad bacteria as I can have it (HCL Betaine, but its strong stuff so I only take 1 a day for 3 wks at a time, ditto Golden Seal)
L-Glutamine is also beneficial for those of us with Candida plus it has the added benefit of stopping any sweet carb cravings we may have. I've been out of it for a while and my cravings are pretty bad. When I do have this supplement indoors I often break it into a sweet treat I am about to eat so that the cravings stop right there (capsules are best for doing this).

L-Carnitine is good to help us lose weight by (I THINK) freeing up the stored fat to make it readily avail to body for use as energy. Ditto Chromium P. I THINK. Enzymes help us digest our food better therefore setting the ball rolling for actual use of the nutrients that we've just eaten to do thier thing alot more efficiently (I'm REALLY trying to remember here, obviously the above is VERY MUCH an ameteur response and possibly not a very accurate one at that) Kelp helps the thyroid to work better (some reckon that most overweight ppl have a dodgy thyroid so kelp helps in place of actual prescribed medication) Selenium and Lecithin are traditionally good for losing weight, no idea why or how and pantothenic acid is good for those of us who feel very stressed I think (apparently stress is anathema to this WOL......it sets off our adrenals and cortisoid hormones to do God knows what blah blah yudda yudda)

Thats it, THE END of why I take what i take.....all i know is that when I stop taking them I lose weight alot slower plus feel less good. That said, some supplements make me feel worse so I stop taking them.

I think that the best thing for you to do is to make a search to find out why such and such helps. S/times one site will only give half the story so multiple sites may give you a broader view (possibly less accurate too however) There is a sticky above this section that tells all too.

Good luck and God Bless
x
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/216/115 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi All,

This product has "0 carbs" , the link listed here for fitness first USA, mistakenly put in 12 carbs, I called up ISS Research and they are contacting this company asking them to correct their information!

Anyways, Ahhaba, let me know how you do on this product.

take care
Laural
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 13:02

BF:

Just in case anyone has any questions or concerns about this product ISS HGH Promino Plus Am/PM the customer service # is 1-888-231-2684 I've called a couple of times, they were very friendly and knowledgeable.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 16:37

Stats: 217/186/167 Male 5'8"
BF:??
Progress: 62%

Well today things where alot better!! maybe because I was working but I had very little "Buzz" today..thats good..now let's see if it helps with weight loss
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 18:05

BF:

Hi Casd,

I've been on this a few weeks now, I feel energized without feeling that buzz, which I felt the first week, now I just feel awake and focused. I suffer from fatigue so this is a welcome change. Plus I sleep better using this stuff, I use to be an awful sleeper I would wake up every hour and it would take me FOREVER to fall asleep. I sleep sounder now.

But I am curious on which ingredient is causing the energy. Maybe I'll give them another call this week.

Laura
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 19:02

Stats: 140/123/120 Female 67 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 85%

ahhaba,
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate you :-)
Now you've got to tell me what your screen name means "ahhaba"?
By the way.....I love your sense of humor :-)

Laural,
Thanks for clearing up the carb count, (12 carbs per serving) that worried me. Good to know it's zero.

CASD,Laural, & ahhaba please keep me posted on your results. It doesn't take much to reel me in so I'm sure I'll have yet another supplement to add to my list.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:22

BF:

Howdy, just wanted to give you an update, I lost another pound, which is a miracle since I've been eating a lot of high carbs lately and not exercising due to some stressful events that have been happening in my life over the last 2 weeks. Just to give you an example of how badly I was eating, for lunch I had a big mac, supersized fry's, supersize diet coke, and 2 apple pies, and for dinner spaghetti, yup I am an emotional eater.

In the last 2 weeks I had a family member die, a furry four legged family member go in for surgery to have a tumor removed, and a son that left to go oversea's for the Air Force.

I am amazed I lost a pound instead of gaining 5 pds, which my body tends to do. I definitely think it has something to do with the HGH
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:25

Stats: 140/123/120 Female 67 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 85%

Laural,
I sorry to hear you're having a hard time right now. Death is a very hard thing to deal with (especially with the other things going on in your life (doggy tumor & son leaving for the Air Force)). Hang in there, things will get better. By the way you look WAY to young to have a grown son.
Take care,

v
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:19

BF:

Awww thanks for the support V, I really appreciate it.

I will be turning 40yr old this year, and as far as looking young, I will have to give all that credit to my mom's side of the family it's in the genes. You should see my Aunt she's 50 and doesn't look a day over 30yrs old. The down side is all through my 20's I looked 12yrs old. hahahaha

I think I am done with my emotional eating, so I will start back on my
low carbing and exercise program tomorrow.

Take care
Laural
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:20

BF:

Yeah I'm down another 2 pds.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:29
Registered Member

BF:

The guy from supplementstogo selling Promino-plus advised me to leave it for now and go for s/thing else instead!!! I think it may have s/thing to do with being so very overweight right now. He did'nt explain why however but I can't see what else it may be. I think I'll ask him and will let you know what he says.

VM
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:22

BF:

ahhaba, wow that is odd he would say that to you. You might want to call Iss Research, they are the ones that developed it, I listed the phone # a couple posts back. They have been very helpful and knowledgable with all my questions.

Hmmm....what was the guy pushing on you instead?
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:12

Stats: 217/186/167 Male 5'8"
BF:??
Progress: 62%

Here is something weird.. the weekend before last I bought a size 32 waist work pants..thinking this will motivate me because before I started I was wearing a tight 34 and a comfortable 38 wiast size(I'm male and when I got home I tried them on and I could button them up but they were very tight...Not wearable Yet...and I've been stalling around 186-187lbs. for a couple weeks so I cut decaf coffee and cheese last thursday-friday and I bought some CLA plus I'm on the ProminoPlus(for over a week) well sunday I hit 184...today 184..and after work 184
and I swear I've lost inches because I'm going to wear those pants tomorrow because the 34's are getting pretty baggy
at 184 thats mkaes a total of 33 lbs since 5/15 !!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 07:09
Registered Member

BF:

Nice one CASD, THAT kind of weird is ALWAYS WELCOME, good on ya, keep up the good work d'ya hear?!

Laural I'm confused now dammit. I thought you must be ALOT less overweight perhaps and that that was the reason why this PT advised me against taking this......but altho you ARE a good bot less then me I don't think its such a vast difference (I hit 236 yesterday).......I have asked him "why not?" and am awaiting his reply to that which I'll post here. Here is the original reply to my asking him whether he thought I'd do better with Promino Plus or Ageless Growth (both hGH but Ageless Growth is VERY new and supposedly cutting edge) cutting and pasting now:
posted Wed July 23 2003 11:24 AM
Bebs,

Good to hear from you! Thanks for the nice commecnts on our site. The board is new and we do hope more people start using it as it is a great way to get REAL people exchanging REAL information.

I think I have an understanding on your issues. I have been in the fitness/supplement business for over 17 years. The key to this entire concept of losing wieght and getting in better shape is your attitude! I think you have the right attitude so that we can get past. You have decided to do something for your self. No one is going to do it for you. So do not give up!

We have to start with the basics. Are you exercising now?? How much?? How many calories are you taking in a day?? You have to look at this for the long run. It took years to get to the point/shape you are in now. You can be completely different in 1 to 2 years. Don't think about next week or the next pound think about changing your life style.

I will recommend some products and here is why: You need proper nutrition for your body to do what it is supposed to do. You should be on a good multi vitamin:Womens Multi next I would suggest a good protein/meal replacement low in carbs:Jay Robb WHEY. Then I would suggest a good fat burner like Beverly International LEAN OUT

This will giv eyou the basics to start with. Then it is up to you to get some type of exercise on a daily basis, walking jogging or join a health club. You must start to burn more calories than you are taking in. This is a simple math problem. More claories in than you are buring, you gain weight. Burn more than you are taking in LOSE weight. Think about that at every meal. THe harder you exercise the more you can reward yourself now and then.

I would not start with a GH product yet. I think we are gettin ahead of ourselves. We need to start with the foundation and work our way up. One other product I would start you with would be calotren This is a great product for general health and it helps promote weight loss.

After a few months on products that we just talked about will give you increased energy and help you sleep at night. YOU have to do the rest, eat right, low carbs is good but not too low, that is why you are running out of energy at the end of the day. You will need more carbs based on how much you exercise. Start your workouts ASAP.

Remember this if nothing else, lower your calories in, burn more calories each day and look at this for the long run. Don't get on a scale but once a month! The more muscle you develope the more you will naturally burn fat, this is a win win situation!

Stop back and let us know how you are doing. I hope you have success!

Joe Godar
Supplementstogo.com

And there you have it. you could check the discussion boa
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 14:45

BF:

Hi CASD, I also take CLA. Congratulations on your weight loss let us know when you are wearing those pants.

by the way, from what I have read, the Promino plus is suppose to take 1-3 months to fully be in effect.