Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 08:02

Plan: Curves low carb/cal plan
Stats: 230/160/155
BF:35%/24.5%/23.5%
Progress: 93%

Cinnemon,
You're very welcome! I hope you do stop in & check out your local Curves. For me, it was the answer to my prayers to be thin again. Be sure & ask about their diet book--not the thick, expensive one out in bookstores. It's just a little book, easy to read. They are phasing it out, though. There is a new diet book coming out (they may have it already)--it is a combined diet/6 week journaling book. For the classes I teach, we have the diet book & a journal--the new book just combines the two.
Good for your dentist's secretary! I wanted to own a Curves myself, but all the franchises in WI are sold. I love my job there, and am sad to be leaving it--but money is a priority issue, with my hubby's hours being cut. At least with my new job's hours I'll
still be able to work out every day. Let me know when you visit Curves (call & let them know you're coming, by the way, they'll appreciate that). I hope you find the people there as nice as they are here in WI.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 09:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/175/164 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 82%
Cool

Hey CurvyLady
I checked out the 3 websites you linked up. The membership fees seem to be from $39-$49. Is that monthly or yearly?
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 09:54

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Weight Training

I haven't read everything in this thread, so forgive me if someone's already mentioned this. I notice in your workout schedule that you don't do any weight training. Maybe you should try it. I know people who swear by the "Slow Burn" (lifting weights veeeerrrrryyyy sssssllllllooooowwwwlllllyyyyy), and have completely reshaped their bodies doing so. Cardio is good for you, but focus more on weight lifting for a while, and see if that kicks your metabolism in gear.

My mom is now 60, and without changing any of her eating habits in the past decade, she's gained 30 pounds due to HRT and the natural process of getting older. Now that she's lifting weights, she's slimmed down quite a bit. She walks too, but has found that in order to lose weight (and gain muscle), she has to lift.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 12:26
Registered Member

BF:

Kmarie1351
Thanks for the post. From what I've heard from everyone is that Curves and the 30 minutes really seems to do the trick. My problem is that a couple of months ago I bought another treadmill. I got it on sale for around 6 something, plus the price of getting it here and put it together down in my basement. That kind of tapped out my resources at this point.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 13:09

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Solution!

The treadmill is great - use it for between lifting sets. Here's what I did at home - I went to Wal-Mart and bought some cheap weights - 3,5,8, & 10 lb. I didn't buy them all at once - I started low, and got heavier ones as I got stronger. lift weights for 30 seconds, then get on the treadmill for 30 seconds.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 14:35

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%

Leg weights and arm weights are also a good addition. You can walk slowly while doing simple arm exercises to built and tone upper body. This will also get your heart rate up fast! Gotta be careful about that (which is why you walk slowly!!)

Jeannie
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 15:05
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Kmarie1351
I have the treadmill set at 3.9 miles p.h. That's the speed so far that keeps my target heart rate up to 125-136. After a few minutes I'm in a walking groove. To get off after only 30 seconds and do weights and get back on is going to be impossible. Also I must confess, when I get off the treadmill I'm disoriented for a few minutes and feel like I'm still moving!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 15:58
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

JeannieF
I don't have alot of power in my hands. Picking up weights isn't going to work out too well. I had Carpal Tunnel Release surgery on both hands, and a triangular fibrocartilege tear repaired on my left wrist. My handwriting it shot. Thank goodness for keyboards.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 21:16

Plan: Curves low carb/cal plan
Stats: 230/160/155
BF:35%/24.5%/23.5%
Progress: 93%

Cinnemon,
Fees range depending on the cost of living in your area. Here in WI, the monthly fee is $29, out in California I heard it is $49. There is also a service fee (initial "joining") you pay only once. It is usually 50% off, sometimes 60% off, depending on the sale they are having that month. Call your Curves & ask about that.
There are a few different options for those who don't want to commit to a 1 year contract, also.
These machines are so awesome, it is worth your time to check them out. I know my heart rate is usually 120-138 when I work out--right in my target range. With the problems you described, I'd be afraid you'd hurt yourself with free weights.
Again, you could buy the book that's at bookstores & do certain exercises at home, but the Curves atmosphere and commradarie really kept me going.
I'm sorry if it sounds to people like I'm trying to "sell" you on Curves. I'm just saying that this program was the only thing that ever worked for me, and it is exciting to tell people about that.
Let me know when you visit your Curves, and tell me what you think.

P.S. I have a treadmill, too, & I hate it. I am thinking about buying a home gym, like a Bowflex. Any out there have one? Is it a good machine, or should I just buy something less expensive?
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 21:18

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%

I was thinking about the ones that actually wrap around your wrist and tighten with velcro straps. You don't hold them. I have a pair of these.

BUT do what works for your health. These are just everyone's two cents worth! Throw everything up for grabs and then maybe something will stick!

Best of luck to you!

Jeannie
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 10:18
Registered Member

BF:

CurvyLady
Thanks for the info on the Curves machines. Why don't you like the treadmill? It's been a life saver for me. I got my 1st one after the birth of my 2nd child in 1989. Last child in1993. I got it because I couldn't just leave her for an hour while I walked the service road for 3 miles. That's how I previously kept my weight down to 150. The treadmill was handy enough in the basement. Used to watch tv while I was on it. I had 3 serious car accidents, 1998,1999,2000. In Jan.1998 on my way to work I slid on black ice & hit a pole. Lacerated my liver,herniated my neck & back, 38 stitches on my forehead, 15 under my left eye(no air bags)chipped bones in right ankle. I was on crutches so long for the casted ankle that the Carpal Tunnel I had in both hands went crazy. In May of'98 they did my 1st surgery to remove the floating bones chips from right ankle. My hands were so bad by then that I had to squeeze toothpaste out with my elbow. In Aug.of '98 2nd surgery, Carpal Tunnel Release on right hand. In Sept'98 husband left us, saying he "didn't want to be a husband and father anymore." In Oct.'98 had 3rd surgery, Carpal Tunnel Release on left hand.
Didn't drive for awhile. In Aug.'99 had 2nd car accident. Sitting at a red light. 2 cars hit each other and bounced off nailing me. I watched the whole thing so I guess I was holding onto the steering wheel kinda hard praying. There I go again, herniated my neck & back further, left wrist triangular fibrocartilege tear, bit down so hard I snapped a tooth I had just had root canal in. Had 4th surgery in April '2000. Didn't drive for quite some time. Thought I was cursed. 3rd car accident in May 2000, I wasn't even driving. While I was a passenger in my own car heading north, 2 kids(no license) came out of fast food drivethru, across southbound and 6 ft safety lane. drove their car into the drivers side doors of my car. There goes the herniated my neck & back again, plus my left knee. My 5th surgery,left knee was in July 2000. Since Jan.'98 when the original accident happened, I hadn't been back to work. Going to physical therapy 3 times a week and doctors & attorneys was my job until I finally returned to my job in Sept.2001. For the 3 1/2 years I was home, I got fatter, up to 224. I was on a low fat diet, didn't exercise because of all the aches & pains. The treadmill is what got me going again. My old one died from non use and rust. My new one is a real thing of beauty, computerized. If you put your hands on the pulse grip it tells you what you heart rate is. Standard features, mileage, calories, time, 6 preprogramed routines. I've been able to do 3.9mph in front of a fan, listening to low headphone music for pace, & watch tv. This new treadmill is sooo quite. Last week, I must admit I got a bit disoriented and lost my footing and fell. Tore a good size patch off my left knee. (Yes, I know I was supposed to have the key on so that it would stop immediately) all I could see was the commercial of the guy getting beaten up by his treadmill Haven't been able to get on it lately since I'm on injured list.
I figured if I could survive everything I've been through, I should be able to beat this fat thing, but I don't seem to be making much real headway.

Last edited by Cinnemon : Tue, Jun-24-03 at 10:19.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 11:34

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Everyone: )

I'm new here and haven't done an introduction but will after this post.
I hope some of my *stuff* may help others who are stalling with their weight. I've been doing Atkins since the 8th of June and lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks. I am perimenopausal (high estrogen makes for slow weight loss) and am approaching my period, so naturally, I am gaining some of the weight back in the last few days and the cravings for carbs are driving me MAD!!! (especially my dreams). I am planning on staying on Induction Phase until August 8th.

I take the following supplements recommended in Atkins book to get through the day:

L-carnitine (assists in breakdown of fat to produce energy)
L-glutamine (highly concentrated in muscles) also helps cravings
Chromium Picolinate (burns fat)
potassium (I have charley horses frequently)
magnesium (help to calm allergic reactions)

I use the LTS strips and I'm in the upper end of ketosis, so this gives me peace of mind even when the weekly weigh in doesn't.
I walk 2 miles a day (EVERYDAY).

I am a hard luck case. I have a sever dairy allergy (that's right, I cannot have any of the shakes, powders, or lovely candy bars because caseinate is a milk protein and is in every darn low carb product *goody* known to man). I've had to make my own chocolate sauce and I've only had a few nibbles out of desperation as I approach PMS.
I also have a severe candida infection in my gut (likely caused by my dairy allergy and all the carbs I used to ingest).

I have found that most people either have not read entirely through the Atkins book or don't use it for reference when they stall on their weight loss. I put tabs in the book as I went along so I had reference areas to refer back to (like last night when I was feeling depressed about no more losses
...but for all of that, you will NEVER get me to go back to carbs because I felt SO awful and my gut infection got worse and worse.

What a BRAVE (truly) woman to stay on the Atkins for 6 months after the initial weight loss. Dr Atkins has a lot of information geared toward you in the book...he talks about going on the restricted HIGH fat diet for a few days with 1000 calories to really get the ketosis into high gear. If you would like me to fish out that section, let me know - it's in there somewhere (his book isn't as concise as I would like it to be).

Continue to be brave - your health and life is really worth it!!!!

Jeannie Schlemmer
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 15:20
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Hi Jeanne
Glad to have you with us. I hadn't planned on staying on the induction 20 for so long, but whenever I go too much higher, I gain weight. The suggestion of staying around 1000 calories was a good one. I did that once and my body thought it was in starvation so i gained.
One of the other forum ladies, I believe it was Lynn in Ohio mentioned L-Carnitine. I've been on it the last couple of days. Nothing has happened yet. I am so patient, I can wait it out.
Thank goodness I don't have the perimenopause, or menopause thing to worry about anymore. I'm 51 now. I was completely without my cycle for 1 1/2 yrs. Then all of a sudden in April I had a cycle, then May (almost as if I were a teenager again)I went on the menopause website. They said if you suddenly began bleeding again after you were through with your cycle for at least 1 year to contact your doctor. The symptoms were reminescent of Uterine Cancer. I didn't see how it could be cancer because I had a clean pap in Oct. Seems as though that only saved me from Cervical Cancer.My GYN did a biopsy and I waited for 2 weeks for the results. The result was that I did not have Uterine Cancer. My body was giving it one last hurrah before it shut down. He still didn't put me on HRT.
Your dairy allergy sounds like a real bummer. I would appreciate the pg # for the high fat entry. I beginning to feel a bit deparate
Thanks for the comment about my being brave. I didn't always feel that way. I only knew that I could not lay down and die. My daughters were depending on me. I had to prove to them that a female can make it no matter who is still with them.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 15:51

BF:

Hi Cinnemon:

Sorry I forgot to mention that the FAT FAST (Page 272 of the most recent book copyrighted in 2002) consists of a HIGH FAT diet with only 1000 calories (perhaps you could fudge that for the 4 or 5 days he suggests with 1200 calories or 1400 calories - whatever level your body decides it is not starving). I was ready to do that but in a non-dairy way if I had to.

Speaking of bleeding (sorry to the guys out there I had the same phenomena half way through my cycle and wondered if it was my body trying to get rid of excess protein or fat *shrug* and then it was gone - only 1 day of it - weird. Really weird because this has NEVER happened to me before in my life. I'm as regular as the sun rising and falling

Dr Atkins speaks of millions being metabolically resistant to burning the fat, it may be a challange to read through all those lil' bits and pieces he gives in Chapter 20, starting on page 259 about metabolic resistance (feel like I'm quoting the Bible

Jeannie
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 15:59

BF:

Hi Cinnemon:

Sorry I forgot to mention that the FAT FAST (Page 272 of the most recent book copyrighted in 2002) consists of a HIGH FAT diet with only 1000 calories (perhaps you could fudge that for the 4 or 5 days he suggests with 1200 calories or 1400 calories - whatever level your body decides it is not starving). I was ready to do that but in a non-dairy way if I had to.

Speaking of bleeding (sorry to the guys out there I had the same phenomena half way through my cycle and wondered if it was my body trying to get rid of excess protein or fat *shrug* and then it was gone - only 1 day of it - weird. Really weird because this has NEVER happened to me before in my life. I'm as regular as the sun rising and falling

Dr Atkins speaks of millions being metabolically resistant to burning the fat, it may be a challange to read through all those lil' bits and pieces he gives in Chapter 20, starting on page 259 about metabolic resistance (feel like I'm quoting the Bible

Jeannie