Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 13:46

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 139/131/122
BF:21/19/18
Progress: 47%
Question Ok day two...

I started yesterday and I think I did pretty well. And according to SS, I can have whole wheat so I indulged in a whole wheat pita with tons of veggies (spinach, pickles, cucumbers tomatoes) for lunch and only had time for fruit for breakfast this morning. And as a late after noon snack I had shredded wheat with ff milk. Is that an acceptable snack??

For dinner I was planning on having chicken with a creamy mushroom sauce. Are cream sauces legal? Are they not starchy? Doesn't it have flour in it? I want a creamy type sauce with my chicken, but don't know what is legal and what is not.

So the carbs and natural sugards in peaches and strawberries don't matter? Also, where can I find legal whole wheat bread? All the bread I find has some sort of molasses or sugar type substance in it. And on top of that I can't decipher half the ingredients as being sugar based or what not. Does anyone know of any brand that is legal for this kind of stuff?

And another question (was anyone as confused as me on this??) No sugar is allowed? What about splenda, or nutrasweet or any other artificial sweetner?? Is any of that legal? I really don't want to buy anything from her website, I have this stuff sitting at home...

Thanks!!
Tabs
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 23:48
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

Shredded wheat as a snack: permitted but not all the time. Suzanne says that carbs are best eaten early in the day, to give your system time to recover from the insulin spike.

Cream sauce is legal if it doesn't have funky ingredients in it. You'll probably have to make your own, as I don't believe I've seen bottled sauces that are legal.

Peaches and strawberries are legal. We do not count carbs on Somersizing and to counteract the sugar in fruit, we eat fruit alone, on an empty stomach (2 hours after pro/fat or 1 hour before pro/fat, 20 minutes before carb).

Legal whole wheat bread - Ezekiel bread in the orange wrapper is legal. Otherwise, you will probably have to go to a bakery. A few of the many names for sugar: any "syrup" (corn syrup, brown rice syrup, etc.), words ending in -ose (dextrose, fructose), molasses, honey.

No sugar whatsoever is allowed. Suzanne feels that Splenda and other artificial sweeteners should be used with caution, except for her Somersweet which apparently is ok to use without caution. She also states that she is against aspartame for "health" reasons. In any case, I don't use Somersweet, as it is unbelievably expensive to ship to Canada. I do use Splenda occasionally.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 23:54

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Question Tabs do you have any of her books?

Suzanne has lists of foods in the back of each of her books to help you figure out what is 'legal' level one, almost level one, level two and FUNKY! (I just love that term)

Yes cream sauces are ok, but no, flour or cornstarch thickeners are not. Guar Gum is a good thickener that has no carbs in it. Arrowroot is a no no though. White sauces are one of my favorite things, and since my DH can't have much acidic food, tomato based sauces have to be kept to the minimum at my house anyway. I love to blend cream, white wine, and spices and toss in a little guar gum to thicken it up. I then nuke veggies in the sauce and it's to DIE for. Yesterday I threw in some parmesan cheese and precooked shrimp. YUM!

Ezekiel bread in the orange package is totally legal. Somewhere around here someone said it had some kind of sugar in it, but today I read the lable while I was shopping and it is 100% legal. Just sprouted grains yeast and sea salt. Trader Joe's has a couple of breads without sweeteners if you happen to have that store in your area, but finding sugar free breads is really hard, even in health food stores. Legal tortillas or pitas are easier to find. Do you have a bread maker? If not you can still make bread, but they aren't too expensive now and they make life much simpler. There are TONS of legal bread recipes out there and even packaged mixes that are legal. Suzanne has many bread recipes to try.

Sugars to avoid are listed as "sugar," glucose, sucrose, brown sugar, molasses, honey, any kind of syrup, dehydrated cane juice, and fruit juice. Glycerine is ok (I had to go ask about that one.) If none of those things are listed in the ingredients but you see sugars listed in the nutritional panel that's ok. Some ingredients may have sugar in them, but as long as there is no ADDED sugar it's generally ok. Also check that if there is a sugar on the ingredient list it also shows up on the nutritional label. For example bacon and most sausages are cured with sugar but it is used up in the process and there is none left in the final product. Same for alcohol. You can cook with it because it will evaporate off and leave just the flavor. Same for alcohol based flavoings if what you are making is heated along the way.

Aftificial sweeteners are fine as long as you keep in mind that too much of any of them CAN cause an insulin response. Some people seem to be more sensitive than others. I don't have much problem with Stevia, Sucralose (Splenda) or Aspartame (don't do much saccharine because I don't like it). Fructose usually causes more of a reaction but I use it in ice cream so it will freeze soft (all the other artificial sweeteners freeze hard as cement) and as long as I confine myself to one bowl a day I'm ok.

Your diet today looks fine! The carb snack is ok, but I'd avoid having it so late in the day. Suzanne reccomends limiting your carb meals to breakfast or lunch so you have more active time to burn off the carbs.

Yes, the sugars in fruits are fine, but she doesn't suggest going overboard with them. Berries in particular are good because they are very low in sugar and not terribly acidic. Some fruits and even veggies are off limits, like bananas, coconut, sweet potatoes and carrots because they are so very high in starch and sugar together. She suggests that these should be the first things to encorporate back into your diet once you arrive at your goal weight. So yes, eat fruit smoothies for breakfast or even lunch and feel free to use fruit as a snack, but if you stall one of the things to look at is how much fruit and which fruits you are eating. This also depends on how you react to fructose, the sugar in fruits. As I said above, some people are very sensitive and will have an insulin response when others will not.

Hope some of that helps!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 10:06
Registered Member

Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%
Exclamation I have a recipe for you!

Hi kahn tabby - I have a recipe for alfredo sauce. I'll post it in the Main Entrees thread.

I find Natures Own 100% Whole Grain Wheat Low Carb and Sugar Free at WalMart/Kroger/Publix etc.....

Good luck!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 11:17

Stats: 139/131/122
BF:21/19/18
Progress: 47%
Default I feel like I cheated..all this FAT!!

Ok so today I had some oranges and grapefruit for breakfast on an empty stomach as Suzanne instructed (i was looking at their carb content though, grapefruits are mostly carbs!!! )
Then for lunch I had steamed brocolli, green beans sautteed in butter with pepper and chicken breast smothered in provolone cheese, mushrooms, onions and BACON!! I ate all the veggies and left only a bite of chicken on the plate once I was done. How could that possibly be good for me??? I am so afraid my body fat is going to go up...and I haven't had time to go to the gym at ALL this week. After today's lunch, I feel like I just did myself in.
For dinner I plan on having some sort of seafood concoction. I am so full right now and I don't ever remember being full ever at all when I was dieting for the last few months. I almost want to jump on the scale right now to prove to myself that this is bad for me and go back to limiting my fat.

But all week, I have stuck to a high protien/mostly fat foods with tons of veggies and had only whole wheat pitas and shredded wheat now and again (not forgetting to seperate carbs from protien/fats). I have been eating so many eggs and not to forget cheese!! EEK!!! Anytime I am hungry I grab a slice of chedder cheese...I don't even want to see how many cals and fcals I keep eating on 'whims'. I plan on snacking on a grapefruit this afternoon (if I need to) but one thing I have noticed, I am not sleepy this afternoon. Usually after lunch, within an hour I am yawning and ready for a nap...not today!! Is this a 'side affect' of low carbing??

I have to admit, I do miss bread...and I miss not being able to eat sandwhiches (althought I have a question, can I have a wheat bread sandwhich with fat free mayo and fat free cheese?? it sounds like pure carbs to me).

How long do you think I will need to wait for results? I only have like 5-7 pounds to lose, don't they say the less you have to lose, the longer it takes?? Is this true in this case as well??

Thank you again for all your insight...this forum really helps me out...its great to know there are people out there in the same spot that I am!!

Talk to you soon!
Tabs
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 12:23

Plan: Atkins/Intro
Stats: 194/186/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi KittyKat,

Why don't you just do the Atkins? Its SO much easier and you could lose that weight in 1-2 weeks, EASY!

Just a suggestion. Good luck!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 13:38

BF:
Default Hmm...

Well ChristyP for me it's about a WOE, not a diet. I can't speak for anyone else here, but to me how long it takes to get the pounds off is not as important as if I can KEEP them off for life. I know for a fact I can't do that with Atkins but Somersizing offers a way to eat a well rounded diet where you are satisfied all the time and still lose weight. Then the changes you make to the WOE once you reach goal are very small ones, so you don't really change your habits much at all. And it's easy to move back and forth across her Level 1 and Level 2 lines to control your weight without having to eat significantly differently than you already do.

Switching from Level 2, maintenance, to Level 1, weight loss is just a matter of separating foods you were combining and dropping out a few things like bananas, carrots and nuts. You don't have to count anything, weigh anything or deprive yourself of anything to go from one level to the other. With many of the other LC plans you go from NO grain based carbs, no fruits and very limited veggies, plus losts of arduous record keeping to a dramatically different diet when you arrive at your goal. Not only is is a big shift for your body, it means that if you begin to gain again (which you probably will) you have to completely change your lifestyle back to counting, weighing and craving. That's hard work and no fun so it's not surprising that many people just don't wan't to go there again and again. With Suzanne's plan the shift is very slight from Level 2 back to Level 1 so it's easy to switch back and forth or do a little of each to maintain your ideal weight. Both plans let you eat all you want of a wide variety of foods, so there's nothing unpleasant about going back on Level 1 if you need to. Also, with this WOE it's much easier to live in the "real" world of eating out, eating at friends' and cooking for holidays without being constantly tempted.

From my perspective the most important thing to remember, no matter how you are trying to lose weight, is PATIENCE!!! What's the hurry? If your goal is actually a lifestyle change instead of just another "DIET" then you shouldn't be thinking in terms of "how long until..." You simply change your lifestyle and the rest follows. If you intend to eat this way the rest of your life then the weight WILL eventually come off, so who cares if it takes two years or two weeks?

I firmly believe that if you are in a rush to lose weight and are more concerned about how long it will take than how good for you it is then you can look forward to seeing those pounds back again and then some every time. Give your body time to adjust to the new WOE, stop fretting about when and if and just go about your business, sticking to the plan and wieghing in whenever you have decided you want to. Once a week is a good rule. Remember your body might have to adjust some so don't flip out if you gain weight at first, or if it doesn't melt off the way it did for someone else. We have become such an instant gratification society! It's good to remind ourselves sometimes that things really worth having take time and sometimes even a little faith.

Cheers!

MB

Last edited by Mamabeek : Sun, Jun-22-03 at 13:44.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 14:36

Plan: Atkins/Intro
Stats: 194/186/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hey there!

Ive decided against somersizing, for at least right now. It's hard enough for me to keep the Atkins-type thing under control and I don't want to start seriously THINKING about my food combos and junk.

I may be back!!

Good luck to everyone!!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 15:04

Plan: Atkins'ish
Stats: 223/223/190 Female 6 ' 0"
BF:
Progress: 0%

You know... the food combination thing really isn't that difficult. You just have to remember that you don't eat any carbs with fat or protein. Carbs are all by themselves without any fat.

When I first read it, I thought.. how in the heck will I remember that?

Within 2 days of "thinking" I don't even worry about it. Most of my meals are protein/veggie anyways, except for weekday breakfasts.

Although I didn't try Atkins, I read the book thoroughly. I actually found Atkins a little more difficult to remember stuff, especially preparing all the vitamin/mineral supplementaion, counting how many carbs, and worrying if I would go over "3 cups of veggies".

Somersizing seems to be more flexible, and if I want that piece of fruit... I can have it. Gosh Darn it, it's strawberry season!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:05

BF:
Cool Each to her own.

I too thought Somersizing was easier than Atkins, not harder, but everyone is a little different. I don't want to count, weigh or track anything and like you I found that once I got the hang of it the food combining was a cinch.

I didn't get confused at first so much as I craved sandwiches and pizza and pasta dishes I couldn't have so I got a little frustrated. Once I learned how to have all these things 'legally' I never looked back.

I love reading people's FitDay information, but it looks like way too much work for me. I'm just inherantly lazy I guess, so I picked the WOE for lazy people.

I wish you luck whatever you choose Christy!

MB
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 15:01
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default me too

you are al so right!
I find SS to be much easier than atkiins cause of the no measuring and the foods that are allowed and can be eaten "legally." I like the food combining cause it keeps me focused and on track as well as helping my tummy tremendously.
and I have to say that I even sometimes eat more than one carb meal a day and not always breakfast and I am still losing, just slower. Which is ok by my cause the few times I have dieted in the past it has come off fast and come back on the same way! and being a vegetarian it was real hard for me to "count" veggies.
But a friend of mine and her daughter looked into both atkins and ss and said that atkins was it for them. Ss to many choices and oppottunities to "mess up"
and yep me too...strawberries and melons here I come!