Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Atkins morning start breakfast bars

Sure frouf... bars are 2g carbs each, and re. sweeteners they contain maltodextrine, sucralose (splenda) and glycerine. And the taste is teriffic! You can find all the products, as well as a list of ingredients and nutritional count at www.atkinscenter.com. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:06
Registered Member

BF:
Exclamation Join Us For Brunch

CONGRATULATION everyone who is doing so well with their weight loss! Always encouraging to hear success stories. Thanks shannon…..yes, SND is where I get my atkins bars too. Just wish they carried all the other stuff too. Their prices are very good and the service is terrific. Think Rich meant the breakfast bars are not available in local stores. And I LOVE the cinnamon ones too.
I order from all over the place rach, including atkinscenter.com..I do have the latest catalogue of stuff if anyone is interested.
*****************IMPORTANT****************
Rich and I are having brunch this Sunday September 28th at Tuckers on the Market at 10:00 a.m. so if anyone wants to join us that would be GREAT. We can share information, recipes, and encouragement ;-)
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 14:59
Registered Member

BF:
Default Tuckers At 10:30

Okay, Tuckers opens at 10:30 so we are meeting then, and we hope to see you there. Thanks :-)
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default help me find splenda for a recipe!

Hi everyone!
I would like to buy splenda somewhere in ottawa. Perferrably in the west end.
Anywhere around the "Terry Fox Road" area?
I also would like to know....does it only come in packets or can you buy it in a container like sugar?
A post about this as soon as possible would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!!
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 12:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bess
I would like to buy splenda somewhere in ottawa. Perferrably in the west end.
Anywhere around the "Terry Fox Road" area?
I also would like to know....does it only come in packets or can you buy it in a container like sugar?

hi Bess,

Any major grocery should carry Splenda in both packets and bulk form which measures spoon-for-spoon like sugar. This comes in a box. Groceries usually stock Splenda and other sweeteners such as Sugar Twin with the baking supplies.

Also .. pharmacies carry Splenda, usually in the diabetic section .. Shopper's Drug Mart, PharamPlus, etc. Also Walmart and Zellers carry both forms of Splenda in their pharmacy section.

hth,

Doreen
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 17:05
Registered Member

BF:

Awesome Doreen!
I will try Walmart at Terry Fox! Thank you for how quickly you answered me!
Really appreciate it!
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 10:04
Registered Member

Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

Another Ottawa citizen checking in!

I've found a few good lowcarb discoveries recently.

Morala Trading on Bank St has Davinci SF syrups! This is the only place in Ottawa that I know of that carries them.

Kardish Food Market in the south end (near Bank and Hunt club) now carries the Atkins muffin mixes as well. The Banana Nut muffin mix only has 2 carbs, and does not taste low-carb as well. I hate chemical tasting products, and these things taste genuine! They also have the Atkins Morning Bars as well.

I had a little chat with the clerk (manager?) of the Kardish store above, and asked him if he is expecting more low-carb stuff. He said that last week he was at a trade show in Toronto sponsored by Atkins, and they are slowly adapting to the labelling restrictions imposed by the Canadian government. He assured me that in 6 months there will be so many different low-carb products available it will make my head spin.

Also, I asked him about carrying Keto products and he said that the Keto distributer is not returning calls. He speculated that they are having problems making sure that existing resellers have enough stock and they can't supply stock to new accounts.

One more thing, be carefull with Splenda in the big box. While it's listed as having 0 carbs, they use a LOT of maltodextrin as filler so it can be measured the same as regular sugar. You should count 24 carbs / cup of granulated Splenda.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 11:57
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks BigJ
That is great information. Especially about the Splenda!!!

Really great to know things are coming soon with respect to LC products. And your timing is great. I am heading into the city this weekend and it will save me some time because I am in the hunt club area on my travels!!

Thanks again.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 20:42

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

I found the atkins muffin mixes in the health food stores in Westgate shopping mall and at Billings Bridge (2nd level near the food court). I believe they had the banana nut ones (I have tried these and they are pretty good at 2 carbs each). They also had blueberry and corn, but both of those are 8 carbs each (not worth it for me).

I also found a big selection of sf Torani syrups at Pam's Tea and Coffee company at St. Laurent shopping mall, but a bit pricey at $19.95 per bottle (I think I got the vanilla one cheaper at 2nd cup). I bought the sf chocolate and sf raspberry, altho they had many other sf flavors.

Curious to find out selection of Davinci syrups and cost??

The muffin mixes by the way are not cheap at $8.99 per package - they were on sale last week? (6.99) so I did buy a few to stock up.

How about the morning start bars? Has anyone tried them? Flavor reviews and cost appreciated!

Froufie
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:54
Registered Member

BF:

Frouf, i LOVE the apple morning start bars, but the cinnamon ones are the BEST. They taste exactly like the old cinnamon breakfast and advantage bars. Totally addictive. Don't know cost here in Ottawa, would love to know as well. I ordered mine from SND and they were $9.99 for a box of 5.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 10:01
Registered Member

Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froufie

Curious to find out selection of Davinci syrups and cost??

Morala has about 9 different Davinci flavors, plus some more SF Oscar syrups. Each are 11 dollars a bottle, and I didn't get charged taxes.

The Davinci I got so far are:
Watermelon - Good
Peach - Good!
Key Lime- meh.
Cookie Dough - don't know, i'll use it in baking
Peanut Butter - don't know, i'll use it in baking

and Oscars
b-52. - don't know, i'll use it in baking

I can't remember all the flavors they had for Davinci, and the Oscars are mostly liquer flavored (armaretto, etc..).
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 10:10
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

A neat note to Ottawa area people, Lowel Green from 580 Talk radio mentioned on the radio today he was on Atkins, I thought that was kinda neat. Course, then he had some silly woman call up and try to tell him he needed to eat starch and his kidneys were going to fall out LOL.
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:29

Plan: Atkins and South Beach
Stats: 138/138/110 Female 5'2 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie in Orleans

Hey Guys (and Gals),

I've been dabbling in this L.C thing for a few weeks, cheating by the end of each day, practically! Today is a new beginning again and this time I'm pretty serious, with the exception of my weakness...Beer! That will have to go when I give up my other weakness, cigarettes.

I was just wondering if any of you have gotten together?

Also just wanted to say that the health food store (don't remember the name though) at Billing Bridge carries a lot of the Atkins products, though I've heard they're extremely expensive.

I'm dieting with Atkins and South Beach diet. I plan to buy the Protein Power book tonight though.

Good luck to all my fellow Ottawans.

Jen
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 09:53

Plan: carbohydrate addicts plan
Stats: 170/162/135 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi--am also from Ottawa. Started CAD 2 weeks ago. Down 9lbs. Would like to use low carb Aitkins muffins and pancakes for breakfast, lunch. Is this allowable? Has anyone tried them?
Thanks for help.
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 21:18

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

Hi Optimize....not sure if the muffins/pancakes are allowed on South Beach - but I have tried the banana nut ones (2 net carbs per muffin)..and they are pretty good! Love to have them for breakfast warmed up with a bit of butter.

I have also tried the Atkins pancake mix - not bad...a bit eggy tasting, but will do in a pinch!

Good luck...sounds like you're doing great!

Froufie