Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

For those that are interested....I did find some Sweet 'n Low chocolate syrup at the Pharma Plus, Billings Bridge Plaza....in the back, near the supplement...and it was only $2.99. Tastes pretty good too....I tried it mixed with some whole milk plain yogurt...like chocolate pudding!

Froufie

P.S. So far 30th is okay as no plans to go away at this time for the long weekend!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 18:52
Registered Member

Stats: 158/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Shel I will be bringing a couple of kinds of low-carb bread for you to try, along with a bunch of other things. I will also bring a list of places you can get lc stuff, and hopefully others will have tips and tricks for us too :-)
If there is anything IN PARTICULAR you would like to try, please ask. I can't possibly bring all the lc stuff I have, (also very expensive) but if I get a request I will know what people want to try the most. So as per your post I will bring samples of bread and Atkins bbq sauce. Anything else let me know. Thanks
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/300/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks bunches.. that is really great of you...
see you on the 30th....
Shel
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%

Don't know if DH and I will be able to make it on the 30th (we will be smack in the middle of vacation then and may be away). Just thought I'd let everyone know of a couple of finds.
- Keto Spaghetti (at the Nature's Own Health Food Stores on Bank)
- Atkins Syrup (maple and raspberry- at the Natural Food Pantry in the Market)

Spaghetti isn't too bad (expensive wow!), definitely didn't need much of it to satisfy (and it is chock full of protein). Haven't tried the syrup yet, just glad they had it.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:18
Registered Member

Plan: my own adapted
Stats: 210/187/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 28%

For Laura: re Keto Spagetti

Hi --- I'm new to the forum and was wondering how much you paid for the Keto Spagetti. I've paid $8.50 through mail order (lowcarbdepot) -- it is cheaper at the store on Bank? I'm downtown everyday and it would make sense to buy it there if it's cheaper.
Thanks
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:44
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

Somebody asked about LC bread. Market Fresh in Kanata (and probably elsewhere) carries Betty's Light bread, works out to under 4g carb per slice. Only a buck something a loaf.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Check out the Wal-Marts as well - they always have good stuff in the supplements section. Syrops, sweeteners, etc.

Hollywood Light Bread is something like 5g ECC per slice and it's available at Loblaws.

Nat
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%

I have been a big online shopper for quite awhile, but I do like seeing lc products make their way here. The Keto Spaghetti was the same price here ($8.50 I think), the only difference for me is that I like being able to walk into a store and buy these products. When I can afford it, I buy them and make sure to comment on them to the people working there, trying to encourage them that there is a market for low carb products.

I love Betty light bread.... I have even converted my husband to it. It's good to know that there are places to buy it in Ottawa because I could only find it in a little convenience store here on the Hull side and not in the grocery stores.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 18:32

That's great news about the Betty's Light Bread! I think I used to eat it..way back when. Much cheaper than those labelled "low carb", and I know they carry it at the local Farm Boy. I'm not "there" yet, but when I get to the "grains" part, I'll be sure to get some!

Froufie
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 07:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/300/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default New low carb products

I was ~ gnc in kanata and they now have some of the atkins products and the carbolite products...
I tried the carbolite carborite shakes in vanilla and they are amazingly good... 1 gr carb and 20 grams protein...
also the carbolite bars which are lower carb then the atkins...
they had the low carb candy, syrups , bread mixes and baking mixes. They are still working on getting even more stuff.... most of the stuff is cheaper then the imporium in hazeldean mall.... did I say I LOVE the carborite shakes...?????? they make a great breakfast... they have vitamins in them as well...
Shel
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 08:59

thanks for the info and update. I have visited the Granny's stores in Hazeldean mall...they do have some Atkins products, but very pricey$$$. They have a few types of the muffin mixes...at $10 a pouch....I understand they are pretty good...but the label states each muffin has about 8 carbs.....which for me is too high to waste on a muffin as I am trying to stay around 25 carbs.

Further update: Pushkin: don't think I am able to make the picnic, as we will be away! If there are any other "events" planned keep me posted, maybe we can start a monthly support group if anyone is interested.

Froufie
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 13:55
Registered Member

BF:
Default Low-carb Picnic Final Plans

Okay, the lc picnic will be at Strathcona Park at 2:00 on Saturday, August 30th. If you enter the park from Sommerset Street you can park right there. The picnic tables will be on your left as you enter. I will make a sign that says "Ottawa area LCers" so we can recognize each other :-) I will bring a tossed salad and a whole bunch of low-carb pre-made foods (bars,breads, etc) It would be GREAT if you could all let us know for sure if you are coming so we know how much to bring. If you are not sure how to get to Strathcona park you can use www.mapquest.com and click on "driving directions". Just put the address of where you are, and the address of where you want to go. The address of Strathcona Park is 25 Range Road. Hope to see you there!
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 01:43

Stats: 235/230/170 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Talking Strathcona Pic-nic

Just signed up to this forum 4am Sat morning! Will try and pop by the pic-nic to see you folks. Thanks for all the tips. I'm in Sandy Hill as well, UofO has some great programs (yoga/tai-chi/v-ball) , and it is nearby!
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 09:11
Registered Member

BF:

Is anyone coming today or not? Dont really want to go if no-one is showing up. Please let me know before 1:00. Thank you.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 10:43

Stats: 230/204/185 Male 6ft 1in
BF:
Progress: 58%

Don't think I can make it to Stathcona Park. Sorry I should have checked board a couple of days ago. Didn't realize venue had changed.
I have a commitment later in the Kanata area that I'd probably end up missing if I head downtown.
Sorry.
Perhaps at the next picnic we can solidify the meeting place and time from the beginning. I
I hope you all have a nice time.