Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 09:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 304/300/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Smile picnic...

Hi.. my Mom and I would love to join your picnic too if you haven't had it yet... we live in arnprior but can certainly come to ottawa... we are just in the induction stage of atkins and would love the opportunity to cook up something low carb and try others dishes as well...
So please let us know if something gets planned...
thanks..
Shel
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

we'd love to have you and your mom along selma :-). My computer is finally up and working again (yay!) In the meantime, I was thinking how are we all going to be able to sample low-carb products AND eat a low carb pot-luck without going way way over? hmmm. Any thoughts?
I was also wondering if Saturday, August 19th around 2:00 is good for everyone. (That way we can make it a combo lunch-dinner so if we eat a little at a time we can lessen the impact of all those carbs..and also if people want alcohol we don't want to start too early). Is that good for everyone? We also need a location. Does anyone know of a good park that might have barbeques or fire pits or something so that we can heat up food if required? Somewhere we are allowed to enjoy some wine if we choose? How's this...everyone who is coming please complete the following questions and either post here or reply to my email at *******. Question 1) is Saturday August 19th at 2:00 good for you? 2) what is your preferred location for this gathering? 3) what food are you bringing for the pot-luck? 4) what samples of low carb products are you bringing, if any? Once we gather this information we can start arranging rides for those who need them. Thanks all..I am so looking forward to this! Hopefully it will be both fun and informative. :-)

(2'nd notice ... moderator edit: please DO NOT post email addresses, per forum rules. Members may send and receive private messages after they have 25 posts)
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:13

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%
Default I think I"m in....

My answers:

1) I think I am available but August 19th is not a SATURDAY!! I'm sure you meant August 16th ~ 2 pm...so I am marking that on my calendar...please confirm!

2) I think Vincent Massey park (Riverside & Heron) and Mooney's Bay park (Riverside & Walkley?) have bbq pits...not sure so I hope someone else can confirm this? As for drinking in the park??? is that allowed

3) Not sure what to bring? I can make something from my lc recipe collection.....maybe a lc cheesecake?

4) As for lc products I don't have many (I can share my sf chocolate bar - if we each eat one square at least we won't suffer from the "laxative" effect... ). Other options include bringing a known lc brand product (e.g. PC chicken wings for others to share).

Please let me know what is decided?

Froufie
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:29
Registered Member

BF:

So sorry, you are right froufie, it IS Saturday August 16th. Thanks for catching that :-). The wings are a great idea..can be your contribution to the meal if you want. I guess if you cook them first then reheat them on the bbq? Don't really know how it works since haven't tried them yet...but looking forward! Will wait for others on the park thing since i'm not sure either. You can cut the lc chocolate bar into small pieces if you want..all we need is a taste really. I'll be doing that for many things. Plus it will be too many carbs if we all eat a huge bite of each sample. Was also thinking that if anyone has any lc products they bought but don't like maybe they could bring them and we could trade. I have a Keto Hot Cereal, apple cinnamon flavor that I can't eat because it smells and tastes buttery and I can't stand butter. (but I know other people LOVE it...I just dont like butter OR cheese).
Okay, will wait for other replies. Thanks again all :-)
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 16:22

BF:
Progress:
Default Sounds like a good time

Aug 16th works for me and my mom...
as for a park if there was something in the west end that would suit us best as we live in arnprior.. but we can really go anywhere with detailed directions..
we thought we would both try out atkins recipes.. and ones that could be enjoyd by anyone in any of the 4 stages... ie chicken curry and mom thought maybe the beef stroganoff...
e don't have any LC products to share ...
So we look forward to meeting you all soon....
Shel (&Ev)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkin999
we'd love to have you and your mom along selma :-). My computer is finally up and working again (yay!) In the meantime, I was thinking how are we all going to be able to sample low-carb products AND eat a low carb pot-luck without going way way over? hmmm. Any thoughts?
I was also wondering if Saturday, August 19th around 2:00 is good for everyone. (That way we can make it a combo lunch-dinner so if we eat a little at a time we can lessen the impact of all those carbs..and also if people want alcohol we don't want to start too early). Is that good for everyone? We also need a location. Does anyone know of a good park that might have barbeques or fire pits or something so that we can heat up food if required? Somewhere we are allowed to enjoy some wine if we choose? How's this...everyone who is coming please complete the following questions and either post here or reply to my email at *******. Question 1) is Saturday August 19th at 2:00 good for you? 2) what is your preferred location for this gathering? 3) what food are you bringing for the pot-luck? 4) what samples of low carb products are you bringing, if any? Once we gather this information we can start arranging rides for those who need them. Thanks all..I am so looking forward to this! Hopefully it will be both fun and informative. :-)

(2'nd notice ... moderator edit: please DO NOT post email addresses, per forum rules. Members may send and receive private messages after they have 25 posts)
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 15:05

Stats: 230/204/185 Male 6ft 1in
BF:
Progress: 58%

If we're looking for a place in the West-End I know there is a nice little park next to the Kanata Rec Centre. Walter Baker park, I believe. It is fairly quiet there and since it is next to a arena the washrooms are within walking distance and always open. Just get off the Queensway at Terry Fox Drive and you're about 30 seconds away
They also have a bandshell with 2 or 3 picnic tables under it (in case of poor weather we could still bbq.)

As far as bbq pits I'm not sure though. I could always pack up our barbecue into the van and transport it over.

Any other suggestions as to a location? Or is this fine ?
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 23:02
Registered Member

BF:

Shel that sounds delicious. I think you and your mom are going to be VERY popular :-)
Thanks for the info, Ian. Hope that means you will be joining us. I'm just waiting to hear where everyone lives so we can set a final place to meet. I will try pm'ing everyone and hopefully will get some replies that way. Thanks all :-)
Just waiting to hear from everyone else.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 23:10
Registered Member

BF:

Oops my mistake, I am not authorized to send pm's (Is that button just for the admins? not sure) and forgot that we are not allowed to include emails here. I apologize to the admins, again my mistake. I guess we will just have to hope that people check the forum on time if they want to come to the lunch. If you expressed an interest before but are now NOT interested in coming please let us know by posting so that we don't wait for you. Much appreciated. Looking forward to meeting you all soon :-)
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 09:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi pushkin,

The private messaging system becomes activated the day after a member has reached 25 posts on the forum (the database updates overnight). This is done to encourage members to participate with the community, where other readers can learn and benefit from the discussion. As well, it's done to discourage spammers who would otherwise sign up and begin pm'ing members without ever posting on the forum

You're almost there!!

Doreen
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:19
Registered Member

BF:

great! Thanks for the info doreen..a definate help.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default DATE CHANGE for lunch

I'm sorry, it just doesn't look like we can make the August 16th date, since we've only had three replies so far and I know there were more people who expressed interest. Can we make it Saturday August 30th instead? I'm just thinking others might be on vacation or something and would be sorry to miss it. This will also give us time to find out the best location for everyone, and all the other information we need. I guess not everyone gets these posts directly in their email so we will have to give them time to check and reply. If there are no new replies by August 30th we will just go ahead and meet anyway, and have some fun :-) I'm so sorry for any inconvenience this change may cause. I would just feel bad leaving anyone out. I hope you all understand and thanks for your patience.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:51

Stats: 230/204/185 Male 6ft 1in
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm ok with the 30th. (16th was ok too.) Is the 30th the Labour Day weekend? I'm still in town during that weekend anyhow.
Keep me posted as to what you folks want to do.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 15:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrossguy
... Is the 30th the Labour Day weekend?

Yes, Labour Day is Monday, September 1st.

Doreen
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:29

BF:
Progress:

The 30th is fine with us as and walter baker park works really well for us too...
Look forward to meeting everyone then.. I will keep an eye on the posts to see if there is any changes...
Shel
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:37

BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins products

I went to the health food store in hazeldean mall... and I did get the raspberry syrup maple syrup and the indulge bars...
I am wondering if anyone knowss of other stores that carry these or the other products..
the ones I am most interested in are BBQ and steak sauces... the choclate syrup or the soda syrups...
lso is there anywhere to buy low carb bread... the atkins bake mix is too expensive to use to make loaf of bread...
thanks for your suggestions...
Shel