Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 19:39

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hey there 'Fit and Trim'! I LOVE your bluntness! LOL! That's exactly how I am...much to my family's distress sometimes!

I might have a problem breaking some of my 'precious rules' if I could find Diet Rite around here. Since I haven't tasted it, I don't miss it. I settle for water...gallons of it...and sometimes I add some lemon juice or one of the sf davinci syrups to it for a change. I do have some Crystal Light but don't make it very oftern. It feels like 'cheating' somehow. Guess maybe I am making myself do penance for all of the gorging that got me FAT in the first place.

Nance
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 20:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

My DH gets upset over my mouth...LOL....I can be myself on here...LOL. Diet Rite stinks, no caffeine to perk me up. I hate the tast, but it is good with the heavy cream.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 20:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/202/150
BF:40%
Progress: 9%

Dear Pattie, Fat & Steaks - it's Chiqui here. sounds like we're a barbecue, with hamburger patties, chicken & steaks, plus fat!

Such terrific advice. I am having a hard time convincing myself to get with it. Can't stay on the low carb altho I know it's the best for me.

I should make my diet a priority but I keep going on and off the wagon. Now I have a trip coming up with 30 passengers, taking them on a 2-weeker, with half the meals included. As the tour guide, I have to eat with them. We go to nice places with great food. It's very hard to say no, even tho I know what's good and what isn't.

Pattie, re the language, either you're a language learner or your not. It's like drawing or singing.
Either you can do it or not. I can't draw at all but I speak a couple of languages. So don't fight it.

Learn some key words, like yes/no, please/thanks, the numbers 1-10, then 20,30, to 100. Learn how to say time, the hour, the days of the week, the months, the seasons. The colors.

I used to teach English as a second language. Some crucial words are want, like, have, go, see, say, make, spend, cost, big/small, good/bad, worse/bettter. Also when I travel (43 countries) I have to make myself understood. I use my hands a lot and draw pictures but it works. Be patient with yourself.

Cheers from Chiqui
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 09:11

Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%

HI ALL!!
Well I see by my post that my typing is awful..I have taken classes and failed all three!! One teacher told me Please do not become a secretary or work with computers..giggle she was right. But I have no trouble with numbers or chemistry
Nance thanks for the pep talk& great advice..love the allergic idea I think I'll use it
I have finaly found some turkey salami with cheese YUM,most of the sausages here have some sugar in them so I have to read the lables very carefully. You are so right not to go looking for replacements with lc foods. It is best to keep it pure and simple. I am able to get flax seed and also found a protien powder with .03 carbs per 100ml. Have not had time to try it. I am slowly getting tired of eggs and want to try some of the flax cereal recipes I have seen here.
Chiqui.. Hang in there ,you got a great start just keep eating lc. It took me 5 weeks get over sweet cravings but now I have none and DH can sit in front of me and eat his "Gummy Bears" or chocolate and I have no desire for them..wow never ever thought I would say that.
With all your travels and resturants..I was wondering..when you are in the nicer resturants ask the wait person if thy have a dibetic list..I know that the Hilton in Seattle has one..you just have to ask, also tell them you are "algergic to rice and wheat flour". Apple Bees has some great things you can eat. And there is always chef and taco salads(ohne shell) ask for extra kase.
Thanks for your thoughts on German ..I am one who has a hard time learning and I think you are right, don't make a big thing of it. I have been having lessons for 2yrs. I can barely get by..but then that is something. This old dog can still learn new tricks just a lot slower.
Just have to thank you all for all the support and encouragement
Take care and keep on LCing!!
Pattie
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:42

BF:

Good morning you lovely low-carbing folks! I just got bumped off-line after writing a loooong entry! Good thing too! It was all self important lecturing! LOL!

Pattie, isn't it nice when that sugar craving finally leaves?! I can now bake cakes/cookies etc for hubby and not be tempted in the slightest. I sitll have trouble believing that.

I type like I think...faster than I should with lots of mistakes (MizSteaks! ) I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. We can certainly figure out what you mean. The main thing is...keep chatting with us!!

Chiqui, please do put yourSELF first! You will never have to see your groups of tourists again...but you have to live with YOU. The Atkins diet has gotten so much notoriety now that most restaurants know what you're talking about when you ask for a low carb meal. I just tell the wait person that I have severe allergies to grains/sugar...can they guarantee they won't bring me anything to cause a medical emergency?!! LOL! That's pouring it on MUCH thicker than need be...but it WORKS!!

OOPS! Company just drove in...EVERYBODY have a terrific, successful lc'ing day!

Nance
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 11:10

BF:

Hey Pattie! I was just over in Karen's Corner in the recipe section poking around and guess what I found? A whole web site loaded with low carb recipes that is from...drum roll please....Germany!!! Go check it out gal...it's got LOTS of recipes and it says right up front which ones are allowed on induction. I'm headed back there right now!

OOPS! LOL!....Guess I'd better give you the web address:

http://www.titanic.kn-bremen.de/allrec.html
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 19:27
Registered Member

Dear Miz: How is it that you sense I never put myself first? Is it so obvious? And you're so right. I must make my body and soul my priority.

Physically, I have always been high energy but lately it's harder to keep up the pace. When I run for the bus, I'm gasping for air.

I must give more attention to myself. I am very concerned about my health. I've never been so fat and it's bothering me. Heart disease runs in my family and I have high blood pressure.

I have almost nothing to wear. My hips are hitting both sides of the aisle of the tour bus. I just fit into the airline seat and can hardly reach for down to get my hand luggage.

I find food less and less satisfying. But I still suffer from HALT - hungry, angry, lonely, tired. Should be HALTED, with exasperated and depressed included.

The site for low carbing from Germany is FABulous!! One of the reasons I cannot keep on the Atkins diet is that it's soooo booooring after one week. The German site has recipes. I never knew what to do with them. Wanted to prepare the dish and then eat the whole thing. But the dear soul who made up the recipes has charted out how much to eat. I will do this when I come back from this tour.

Cheers from Chiqui
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 20:30

BF:

chiqui, I'm not extra smart or anything, but aren't most of the people who have our trouble exactly like us? ALways put other people first and how do we handle OUR problems? We stuff them with food more often than not! Literally and figuratively!! It was purely a good guess and a desire to see you place more importance on your own self worth. Just like I'm trying to do for myself.

Your tours sound exciting...and exhausting! I would hope that you would choose the diet that provides the most energy so that you can continue to work since you've already said that you NEED to. And you know what? I think you described just about every over weight person I know with the word HALTED that you used to describe yourself!! You are NOT alone! Neither am I!! We have now found each other and I'll sure try to help you if you'll try to help me. Deal?
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 23:53
Registered Member

Dear Steaks... or is it Miz?

Okay, it's a deal. The reasons I subscrib to this site is to do LC, to start, to continue, to accomplish. I know I can't do it on my own for very long.

I need help when I get off track. All of the participants help me resume where I left off, same as I help them. I couldn't get that from anywhere else at 2 in the morning when I need it most.

For those of us who don't have a regular 9 to 5 life with regular days off, this is the best alternative.

To all of you who mentioned the "allergic to wheat and sugar" diet, that's a great idea. Never thought of it. It's easier to never have it on your plate instead of trying to resist the temptation of eating it.

I want to say so many things about how I treat others in comparison to how I treat myself. When I felt really bad, I realized that I wouldn't put up with somebody else who treated me the way I treat myself. Like ignoring me, not taking my best interests to heart, leaving me to the last minute. Yet I do it all the time to myself. Don't I deserve better?

Sincerely, Chiqui
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 01:24

Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%

Good morning from Düsseldorf!
Just sat down and started to read all the new posts. Wow think we have all hit the nail on the head. I too "use to" put everyone befoe me and really beat myself up for not being perfect. I too come from a disfunctional family. Father told me I was so fat that I could not use the scales at home because I would break it....hmmmm that one I have trouble letting go of. But I woke up one morning and thought why am I not happy. This is my life and I am the one who controls it. Once I decide to start doing things to make me happy I have been a much better person and I do not feel guilty when I say "no" to someone. yes now and then I get a twinge of guilt. But I cleaned house and got rid of the extra baggage that weighed me down and made me sick of heart and mind. Yes,that was my ex. I am now on the way to a better and happier me.

My one main goal is to loose this weight and do it for me not anyone else.
Chiqui hang in there ,I can see you are a great person. You have come a long way and be proud of yourself.
Misteak..oh thanks for the sight looked a few recipes and they sound yummy! I have booked marked the sight..looks like there are some nice German recipes hubby will enjoy along with me.
Now I am off ..have German lessons today..but will not beat myself up..will let it flow in and retain what I can. But hey last year I could hardly ask for a thing and I am able to do the shopping and communicate pretty good. Sometimes you just need to step back and look at the big picture and say " I have done a great job so far"
Did a lot of nibbling last nite..stayed in my carb limits but OMG the calories were awful. Should I also be watching the calories are there some rules for this?

Bis Bald,
Pattie
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:51

Afternoon all,
Do any of you not feel hungry. This has been going on for 2 weeks....I force myself to eat every day, and only eat one time, and a snack. I have heard somewhere on here to eat when you are hungry

Last edited by Fat : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 17:31.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 13:51

BF:

Good afternoon gang! Got a late start today. Gonna go backwards on the new posts.

fat (Fit and Trim ), I would give my eyeteeth if I was to the point of never being hungry. Sigh. That's one of my problems is a ravenous appetite. Fortunately I have found that protein and fat satisfy it for the longest period of time.

Pattie, You have such a postiive attitude today! I can feel the force of it and I feel better for it. Isn't it amazing how we can feed off each others positive energy?! That's why I am so thankful to have found this site and this group!!

chiqui, you just need to make up you mind to treat yourself better than ...or at least as well as...you treat the people around you. You DESERVE at least that much if not much much more! That's a message we're gonna keep reminding yu of, okay? chiqui comes first. chiqui comes first...your new mantra for the day!

Take special care friends!

Nance (hubby was peaking over my shoulder last night and said I blew it. He told me my 'perfect' sign off signature should be......Mooooo! )
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 18:51

Talking

Steaks, I miss eating, believe it or not. Never thought I would say that.

I have a neice that is 9 and is 140 lbs. Her mother is going to put her on Atkins. Do you think that is too young. She is getting her thyroid tested next week.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:17
Registered Member

Dear Fat: re your niece who's only 9:

I would have a doctor check her for physical and emotional reasons why she's that weight.

Being the fat kid at school means the fat kid gets teased. Kids are cruel and you don't want your niece to suffer.

I was chubby, looked a lot older than I was as the fat fills in the breasts. The guys started whistling at me and making remarks. I was a very young girl is not mature enough to handle that type of unwanted attention. I felt very uncomfortable.

Perhaps something's going on in this young girl's life that is making her turn to food. Maybe she's trying to fill an emotional void. Maybe something's bothering her or maybe she's afraid of something.

My mom, out of ignorance, didn't do anything. So I suffered the consequences.

Sincerely, Chiqui
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 20:45

BF:

Gosh DeAnna, I'm wracking my brain trying to think if I have read anything about young children being put on low carb...just not getting anything back at all.
I agree whole heartedly with chiqui that something needs to be done to throw this child a life line...just not sure what it would be. I would guess the very first step has to be a thorough physical and blood work up...preferably by somebody who is favorable to the low carb approach. I would think that if the child took a good vitamin/mineral supplement geared to growing children, that LC wouldn't hurt her a bit. Just my UNeducated opinion though.
(The only thing in DANDR referencing children is to keep them off sugar. I will check my other books too)

Chiqui, it breaks my heart to hear about how cruel people were to you at that age. I am so sorry you had to go through that. You deserved better. I was the biggest girl in the class, but I wasn't fat. I was my current height and 107 pounds in 6th grade, could beat all the boys in throwing/running/ climbing/spitting..you name it!! My weight problem came later in life...sigh.

Have a terrific evening Gang!

Nance.....Mooooooo