Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/202/150
BF:40%
Progress: 9%

Hi everyone:

I just finished a conducting a 2-week tour by train thru the Rockies. It was 2 weeks hard work, very tiring, no days off, taking care of 43 passengers. Even tho the group was great, no whiners or gossipers, I am worn out.

I learned that sitting down on a bus or train for hours on end is very bad for the figure and psyche. Furthermore, we literally ate our way across Canada. Now starting again with the diet and exercise.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 12:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Hello eveyone,
I am a total LCing Freak. That is the way I eat in my life and I love it. I am 55 have 3 children and one of them is still at home and in high school. Also have 9 grand children. I tell everyone that will listen about LCing, because I want them to see what junk they are eating and what a great diet this is. Also what a great way to lose it without being hungrey. It won't do me any good to LC diet, and eat bread and pasta and junk sweets. The combination of bad and good carbs will store fat, fat, fat, and more fat. I Look at the LCs on everything I eat. LCs are green veggies. I lost my weight so far by completly staying away from bad carbs. It is the only way this diet will work for any one. If I get hungry at night I eat a piece of no carb meat. That is feeling and does not put fat on me. Glass of water, or a diet rite. I hope everyone here has meat, fat and greens on their brain. Went to a family reunion and everyone brought bad Carb food. One person made a LC dish and I had some of that which was mainly green beans, and I ate a lot of turkey. I was happy and full. I brought a chocholate cake and mixed veggies. There are a lot of people in my family that do not have a weight problem, unlike me. Never even wanted all the sweets that were there. When I first started LCing it took me two weeks to stop wanting sweets and breads, because by then, after not eating high Carb foods, my body cleansed itself of all the bad carbs. It works for me, and it can work for anyone. My diet consist of eggs, bacon, ham, hamberger, roast, chicken, salads of all kinds. Cheese, diet rite, water, Heavy Cream in my diet rite when I want a treat, about a tablespoon. So creamy and good. Yum
Happy Carbing everyone.

Last edited by Fat : Thu, Jul-17-03 at 12:55.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 12:57
Registered Member

Wow, Fat:

Right to the point. No whining. This is the way it is and it works.

But........ do you have to use that name???? Yikes!

Cheers from Chiqui
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:56

Talking Hello Chiqui

I call myself fat, because that is what I eat. Plus it reminds me of where I am. Plus that is what I look like. I do not ever want to forget why I am fat. It is from years of bags of chips, gallon ice cream, cake, soda's, half a loaf of bread with jam and peanut butter, candy of all kinds, chocolate of all kinds and brands. Cheese burgers with french fries, and o ya, give me another one, I am still hungry. I never want to forget how I got this way. Fat is also now what I eat to loose all the fat I gained through all the above of high carb foods. Seems you are not the only one here on the forum who wants me to change my name......LOL.....
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 20:24

Plan: I'm exploring
Stats: 281/256/146 Female 5'4"
BF:43%
Progress: 19%

Fat, I like it - you come right to the point, no hemming and hawing around. We all need to face this in our lives. I too got this way from eating all manner of foods that were terrible for me. I've been having a party in my mouth for years and eventually it was the only place I could party!!! Madi
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 12:43

Wink

You are so funny, maybe I will change my name to something else. It must offend some. Have any suggestions?
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 09:23

Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%

HI THERE
I am 52 and on the road to a new life..thought after I got a new husband and home..things are going well time to get this weight off once and for all.
Having trouble with hunger late at night can any one give some tips ..
I have also found that pork rinds stall my weight loss..sigh one of the few things low carb I can get here in Germany .

Last edited by pattie : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 09:25.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 12:56
Registered Member

Hi Patti: I am also a late nite eater and was going to ask you to call me but.... Germany? I'm on the other side of the world in Canada.

Having trouble distinguishing the difference between hungry and tired? Me too. Get into bed. You won't eat your crackers there. Or have a liquid, like hot tea or whatever you'd like.

Often the urge to run to the fridge at night is indicative of unifinished business during the day. Think it out.

Cheers from Chiqui
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 05:18

BF:

aHi Chiqui
Wonderful to hear from you. Yes to bad we are so far apart. ut nice to have the net to get support when you need it most.
My DH is a nibbler and sweet eater(big sigh) and sits and muches while watching the T.V. The sweets do not bother me now but at first they would trigger my oral addiction for holoate...
I am suprised ,while doing LC the cavings and desires are gone. If I have to have something sweet a bit of cream cheese flax meal,and cocoa powder sweetened to taste(SF sweetener)
We do not allow any fod in the bed room and the kitchen is on the first floor...so I have to think befor making a run. I am trying to get all my liquids in first before I eat anything at night. This helps some..also running to the computer to read some of the wonderful posts is also a very big help.
I also found peppermint tea with sweetener also helps.
I see you have done well and I am proud of you keep up the great work!!

Keep posting evryone I love to read even if I don't write a comment or two all the time.
Best wishes,
Pattie
-------------
today 221..that is now a 15 lb. loss
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 16:27

I ate half a bag of PRins last night around 11m. Maybe I will try eating them earlier in the day and see if that will work for me. I think about just going to bed, but first I have to eat a bite.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 00:27
Registered Member

Fat: What are PRins?

Cheers from Chiqui
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 05:39

BF:

Today was my shopping day..I herd the pork rinds calling..bought two bags..I think I had better divy them up for the week. I love tem so..but they make me stall. I AM STILL TRYING TO GET OVER THIS LATE NITE EATING::MAYBE IF I save them for the late nite nibbles attack Iwon't feel so hungry.
Next weekend we are going to my Mother in laws..I fear this time. Germans are big coffee and cake eaters. I will have to ask DH if it is proper to bring my own goodies and not ofend...
The little culture differences can drive you crazy

Chiqui I think you are right about the un finised business and eating..but my un finished business is "trying like hell "to learn German.
This one just drives me bonkers and I did not think it would be so hard.

tschuss
Pattie
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:06

Chiqui.......Pork Rinds.......My DH keeps eating them for me. His Doc put him on a low fat diet. He is not suppose to eat pork rinds. I grab my bag and say, "Leave my pork rinds alone." When I was on a low fat diet I did not eat them. Now I love the hot ones.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:33

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Good morning everyone! It's nice to see a bunch of determined lc'ing women my age to hang with! I'm a 58 yo Mother of 3 and Grandma of 8. I feel too young to be that and I owe that feeling to this WOE.

DeAnna, I figured out how to be comfortable with your screen name of 'Fat'! From now on, to me, they are initials for Fit And Trim! I look at your current weight and that is five pounds under my goal weight so you MUST be Fit and Trim! Sweety, you call yourself whatever you darn well want to and if it makes me uncomfortable then, dang it all, that's MY problem...not yours! LOL!

I also love your point blank way of looking at this weight issue. I am so tired of being told I am 'doing damage to your body'. WHAT? Can't you SEE the damage I did to it eating the way
society eats? Hello?! You'd have to be blind to not be able to tell I have about 40 pounds I DON'T need hanging around my middle! That's not a 'fluffy apron"...that's belly fat!!! I sure don't have a six pack...that's a case! A case of bad carbs.

Now I just tell everybody that I have 'allergies'. That's a word everybody knows and accepts. I just don't tell them that I am allergic to bad carbs 'cause they make me break out in FAT!!!

Anyway...I have trouble keeping the enthusiasm in check. Sorry about 'preaching to the choir' here! Just hope to find a group of people with the same interests as me to help me through the peaks and valleys of this WOE. I figure if there's enough of us to hold hands, we can pull each other out of those 'depths of depression' that hit us all some times. Sort of a human chain of friendship, prayers and encouragement. Yeah! I like that mental image!

When it comes to late night eating, I am lucky I don't have that problem. I have a lc dessert with dinner and that is the last food of the day. I make rules for myself and I hate to break them. That dessert might be one piece of Russell Stover SF chocolate or whatever my carb count for the day allows, but it is the 'signal' that all eating for the day is done.

Patti, I don't even look for lc snack foods. You can make delicious peperroni chips...and I am certain Germany would have that delicious sausage. We can buy packages of already thin sliced pepperoni for pizzas here in the U.S. Place them on a napkin in one layer and microwave for 90 seconds or so until they are crisp. That's my snack when I want a crunchy. Mainly I grab that or a cheese stick or a piece of chicken/turkey/bacon. I told myself that I would NOT look for substitutes for the foods that got me in trouble. For me that was the breads/pastries/pasta carbs. Instead those were 'allergic' foods for me. I would not expect my alcoholic uncle to look for and settle for drinking near beer and being happy. That's just too much temptation for him. So...like it or not....those foods belonged to the poisons in my OLD life. That change in thinking was a tough transition, but so worth it. Now I don't even think about eating those snackies...and I still buy them for hubby.

Sorry this was so long! I just can't turn the enthusiasm off and on yet! Hope you folks all have a terrific low-carbing day today!

Peace on ya!
Nance
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 17:06

Thumbs up

Fit and Trim here????
Steaks you make my day. I just love the way you word things. What a great attitude you have toward your body. I wish I could do that. I am 5'2" and not Fit and Trim at all. I always say I am short and fat. My daughter says stop that mom.

I feel the same way about using LC subs........but I cannot give up my daily heavy cream and diet rite.

Last edited by Fat : Tue, Jul-22-03 at 17:10.