Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 10:49

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Zuleikaa,

is it important whether it is synthetic D3 or derived from food, like cod liver oil e.g?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos
Zuleikaa,

is it important whether it is synthetic D3 or derived from food, like cod liver oil e.g?
D3 is the form made in the human body from the action of UVB on 7-dehydrocholesterol I know of no research that proves D3 from fish oil is better than D3 from lanolin.
I've been using lanolin derived vitamin D3 and I also regularly expose my own skin to UVB.

Vitamin D Supplement Doses and Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D in the Range Associated with Cancer Prevention This paper shows that in order to get most 97.5% of the population above 40ng/ml we need to be near the 10,000iu/daily mark. ( the amount your skin would naturally make if you lay naked outdoors in the midday sun for a few minutes)

Quote:
There were 3667 people's first test data reported on
No suggestions of toxicity were reported even up to intakes as high as 40,000 IU/day (not a recommended amount, however)
It's going to take about 9600 IU/day to get 97.5% (almost everyone) to the 40 ng/ml level. Individual variations however range from 0 to over 50,000 IU/day!
Testing is necessary to determine what the starting serum level is and how to adjust intake
It took 3 tests (1 year) to determine the optimal dose for each individual
The NEW rule of thumb for dosing will be changed. We'll publish a chart for all very shortly. Currently, it is stated that you can increase the serum level by 10 ng/ml with 1000 IU/day. Per our research, this is true only when starting at about 10 ng/ml. If you want to go from 50 to 60 ng/ml, it will take an additional 2000 IU/day (i.e., the rise is only 5 ng/ml for each 1000 IU/day).
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 18:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%
Default Melatonin and IVF

You might be interested in this:

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...IVF.aspx?page=2

Quote:
Women who failed to become pregnant in the previous IVF-ET (fertilization rate< 50%) took 3 mg tablets of melatonin in the next IVF-ET [115 patients were divided into two groups. In the next IVF-ET cycle, 56 patients were given melatonin treatment, 59 patients without melatonin treatment (control)], and fertilization rate and pregnancy rate were compared to the previous IVF-ET. The fertilization rate and pregnancy rate were improved by melatonin treatment [Fertilization rate was improved in melatonin treatment cycle (50.0%) compared with the previous cycle (20.2%). On the other hand, in 59 patients who were not given melatonin, the fertilization rate was not changed (22.8%) compared with previous cycle (20.9%). Pregnancy rate was higher in melatonin treatment cycle (19.6%; 11/56) compared with without melatonin treatment cycle (10.2%; 6/59)]. Intrafollicular melatonin concentrations were significantly increased and 8-OHdG levels were significantly decreased by melatonin treatment.

In conclusion, ROS have a toxic effect on oocyte maturation and melatonin may protect oocyte from ROS. Melatonin administration is likely to improve oocyte quality.

Now if I could only get some sleep instead of reading this forum all night....
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 18:52

Stats: 252/228/175 Female 66inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Here is something else I did when we were ttc the 2nd time. The first time we did get pregnant right away but then I had a missed m/c at 11 weeks and a d&c. The second time it took 12 months to get pregnant. About 3 months before finally getting a bfp I started taking vitex.

http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle...les/dunne_vitex

For me it did help to regulate my cycles somewhat. At that point I had a few cycles going 50+ days. I think it is really only helpful for women who have issues with ovulating. I did take Vitex the first trimester as well, towards the end of the trimester I started taking one then skipping a day and so on until I stopped taking it.

Hope this is helpful for someone out there!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-11, 18:14

This is interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2758018
Quote:
Abstract
1. Fifteen normal premenopausal women followed a low-fat diet for a period of 2 months. 2. Daily fat intake was reduced from 81 g on their customary diet to 36 g on the low-fat diet. A significant reduction in total energy intake and an increase in the dietary polyunsaturated fat: saturated fat ratio was also observed. There was a significant decline in body-weight, percentage body fat and total serum cholesterol, but no significant change in high-density-lipoprotein-cholesterol. 3. Luteal-phase prolactin concentrations were not altered, but there was a significant decline in oestradiol concentrations on the low-fat diet. The proportion of erythrocyte inositol-phospholipid was increased on the low-fat diet and there was a significant increase in the 20:4 omega 6 (arachidonate) content of inositol-phospholipids. No significant changes in the content or fatty acid compositions of other phospholipid fractions were observed. 4. Further investigation of the effect of level and type of dietary fat on the content and fatty acid composition of membrane inositol-phospholipids are required. Long-term studies investigating the response of both prolactin and oestradiol to dietary fat reduction are also warranted.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-11, 18:18

http://www.oxfordjournals.org/eshre...epdf/dem019.pdf

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS: High intake of low-fat dairy foods may increase the risk of anovulatory infertility whereas intake of high-fat dairy foods may decrease this risk
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-11, 19:08

Default Antioxidants - no good????!!!

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...in-females.aspx

Now this is exactly opposite of all I have been told.

Last edited by sondacop : Sat, Feb-26-11 at 19:22.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 06:02

BF:
Default :help:

I'm into vit D3 experiment for a month now (7000 IU daily), and for some reason my basal temperature was low all month, no spike, which means no ovulation this month either . Felt also weak after about 10 days I started taking vit D.

I use fertility awareness methods, including daily charting , so the chart of this month is rather unusual for me, not to say, discouraging, as we try to conceive which is impossible without ovulation.

Zuleikaa, have you every experienced this with any of your 'patients', can this be regarded as transition/adjustment or...?
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 12:19

Do you feel when you ovulate? Did you see any change in discharge? Other than that ovarian cyst that was removed do you have any other fertility problems? I don't think this has to do with the vit D.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-11, 01:55

BF:

Hi Sondacop

Yep, i can see the approaching ovulation by changes in cervical fluid and the proof it did happen by the spike in temperature in luteal phase. Neither of these signs took place this month.

The removed cyst was of endometrial origin, so I most likely still have endometriosis. Yet doc said I should have no problems with conceiving (well-well), however this endo never affected my ovulation before. So the coincidence with the beginning of D experiment and chart changes made me bit alarmed. Probably this is just an anovulatory cycle happening a few times to each woman...

I will keep my charting next month and hopefully the fertility flows back.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 05:18
Registered Member

Stats: 130/130/125 Female 5"7
BF:
Progress: 0%

I read Sally Fallon's nourishing traditions recently and repeatedly it was mentioned that traditional societies feed special diets to women of childbearing age. Those diets are higher in fat (vitamin A and vitamin D are fat soluble) and included a lot of eggs, both fish eggs and chicken eggs. Also a lot of liver and organ meat for women of childbearing age.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-11, 16:24

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Anybody here skip periods when they have a whoosh weight loss? I'm mid-40s and just lost 14 lbs. in a month-and-a-half or so after a forever stall (usually have a really tough time losing weight). When I was young I was known to miss a period when losing. But two is kind of a lot ... hoping it's not menopause and just wondering if anything in particular kept your periods regular WHILE you were losing? (Enough good fats, etc.)