Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 21:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default potassium dosage

I know this is kind of a supplement question, but I think it is directly related to how much exercise one does.

Just a brief background first. I am a 220 pound guy who has lost around 30 lbs and would like to lose another 20 lbs or so. I am on somewhat of a low carb Atkins diet. I would guess my carb intake is between 30 and 40 grams per day.

I work out 6 days per week for 2 hours per day plus another 15 minutes in the dry sauna after the work out. 4 days I do intense resistance training along with 30 minutes of cardio. The other 2 days I do about an hour of cardio and work on my abs. I sweat alot everyday doing this routine.

My question is with this routine, how much total potassium from food and supplements would you recommend I take per day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 06:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Toughguy, I did a search on Potassium and came up with this post by Doreen, it contains information on dosage and daily requirements along with a link to foods rich in potassium.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:07
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the link, Nat. According to Doreens post the body requires up to 2500mg per day but some of that comes from being stored in the body. So, how do we know how much is being stored and how much we need to replenish?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:16

BF:

Short of a blood test? You can't tell.

As I have seen Do explain it the body has a very good system for regulating potassium to ensure that it doesn't get too high. A lot of what we get from our food and from our supplements are 'reused' in the body. When you start LCing there is a pretty heavy duty diuretic effect - a lot of water is lost along with salts (of which potassium is one). The diuretic nature of LCing doesn't cease and the flushing out continues (this is due largely to the lack of carbs, the increase in protein and the increased water we consume). This is why the Eades suggest that supplementation (400mg) continue until Maintenance and even then when the weather is particularly hot or when you are engaged in intense exercise.

Using a product like the NuSalt discussed in the link (or mixing it 50/50 with table salt) every day will go a long way to helping deal with any fatigue or 'brain fog' you may encounter. 3 or 4 'dashes' typically contain about 500mg.

You should notice a marked difference with 400mg. I have seen it suggested that during Induction (especially in very hot weather) you can use 1/8th of a teaspoon of NuSalt (350mg) twice a day.

Whenever supplementing with potassium be sure you're well hydrated - and if you have a history of heart problems don't touch the potassium until you've checked with your doctor!

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 16:04
Registered Member

BF:

According to the label on my protein drink, it states that 200mg. is only 6% of the daily value. That would make the total daily value at over 3000 mgs. I think between my supplements and protein drinks, I am getting around 1700 mgs. I have just started taking this much so I dont know how well it is working for me yet. Plus I know I am getting potassium in my food on Atkins diet. I guess what I am concerned about is feeling as good as I can feel from the right amount considerring my exercise regimen but not overdosing on it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 16:18

BF:

Toughguy, if you keep a fitday account there is a tab called "reports" - the one that states "Am I meeting my nutritional requirements" gives you a breakdown of vits, minerals and salts - you'll see your potassium number there.

I've come to understand that what matters most once you've consumed sufficient potassium is how it relates to your sodium levels - potassium should be higher.

HTH
Nat