Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/155/140 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Know I Gotta But Can't

I hate the fact that I smoke. But I enjoy it so much! I can't get on an exercise program because smoking robs my energy. But they taste so good! I never worried about smoking, I would never admit that I was addicted, and I always promised myself that I would quit by the time I was 30. Well..........I'll be 31 in December. Smoking is a part of everything I do. I don't know how I would work without them. I share an office with a co-worker who also smokes. So we smoke'em down together, all day. There is only one window, and it doesn't open (plate glass). Oh, so bad, I know. But if I quit suddenly, what about her? So many conundrums. Anyone got any insight on where to start? How to break down the infrastructure of the smoking lifestyle?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 08:16
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

It seems a little repetetive...but I really think this site has helped people. Read it...take the free course...and decide for yourself. It doesnt cost a penny (unless you want to donate).
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 11:57

Stats: 248/233/180 Male 71 inches
BF:35/xx/22
Progress: 22%
Default Hi Trish, here is a link for you

I'm smoke free for 6 months now. I regularly post at the QuiutSmokingSupport.com bulletin board, http://www.network54.com/Forum/76750 . They are a very supportive and understanding group. We have several folks who have'nt quit yet. Feel free to stop by and lurk a bit.

I also suggest reading "Joel's Library" at whyquit.com. It is the most comprehensive information I've found on quitting. I'll be surprized if you still enjoy smoking after reading this. Actually, I would be surprized if you enjoy smoking now...certainly not all of them....probably not most of them.

The new kid on the forum,
Jerry
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 15:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 176/122/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%/16%/17%
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishw1213
I hate the fact that I smoke. But I enjoy it so much! I can't get on an exercise program because smoking robs my energy. But they taste so good! I never worried about smoking, I would never admit that I was addicted, and I always promised myself that I would quit by the time I was 30. Well..........I'll be 31 in December. Smoking is a part of everything I do. I don't know how I would work without them. I share an office with a co-worker who also smokes. So we smoke'em down together, all day. There is only one window, and it doesn't open (plate glass). Oh, so bad, I know. But if I quit suddenly, what about her? So many conundrums. Anyone got any insight on where to start? How to break down the infrastructure of the smoking lifestyle?

I totally understand!! I think the first step for anyone is REALLY WANTING to quit. Some friends of mine that have recently quit say that really wanting to do it is the only thing that helped them. Unfortunately, like you, i dont' really want to quit. Maybe someone can offer some suggestions as far as motivating yourself to quit.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 22:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 316/304/200 Male 76
BF:better/every/day
Progress: 10%

I quit cold turkey on June 25 of this year..I must admit that I miss smoking. Part of me that I did for over 20 years is gone. It is sad but I know that if I have just one I will be right back to two packs a day+++. I gained 30lbs since I quite smoking but I'm back to LCing now. I knew I traded my nicotine addiction for a food(sugar) addiction but now it is back to LCing.

You have to want to quit to do it. I've tried several times quiting with the patch or gum or cutting back and had some success but never got off of the gum or patch and when back to smoking... I know now that if I chose to smoke that fist puff I chose to go back to where I was at and so far I have decided not too.

One day at a time and never take another puff.

Rod
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 09:04
rachee

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Stop and think...

Hi Trish (and everyone else),

Just wanted to say hi and also offer some encouragement... I managed to quit smoking (from a packet a day) a few months ago, and as long as I stayed focussed on why I really wanted to quit it wasn't as hard as I thought - for me the key was being positive. I also really enjoyed the taste and experience of smoking, and nearly all my friends smoked, but you just have to be rational about these things (for me I'd ask myself, "What is more important - a few fleeting minutes of 'enjoyment', or <list all your benefits here>?")

My tips (nothing new here, but still...):
- Take it one craving at a time to start with (1 day at a time was too daunting for me at the start!) and feel proud of yourself for each craving you overcome.
- Think positively - concentrate on what you are gaining, not what you percieve to be missing out on
- Remember that you are not defined by smoking - easier said than done, I know, but if you constantly remind yourself of this it does get easier. I couldn't imagine my life without cigarettes, but after a few weeks you will be able to start putting things in perspective.
- And lastly - my downfall (started smoking again last week ) - always stop and think, whenever you have a craving. As with everything, make sure your decision is a fully conscious decision.

By the way, I am planning a double-whammy starting tomorrow: low carb (for the first time) and smoke free (for the second time) !! Post in my journal (starting it tomorrow) if you need support with quitting and I'll do my best to encourage - maybe we can quit together? And from what I have read so far, there are so many great people here willing to help...

Take care,
Rach
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-16-04, 09:14
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the great advice everybody. Ladycody and McFlint, I plan to check out those websites today. After a cigarette, of course
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 09:54
Registered Member

BF:

McFlint,
I've spent a total of a few hours at whyquit.com. I actually started having chest pains while reading these pages, real or imagined I don't know. I had six cigarettes between leaving work and going to bed last night, imagining all the while that this was the one that would give me lung cancer. I didn't want to smoke them, but I needed time to accept quitting. I didn't enjoy them. Right now it's been almost 13 hours since my last cigarette, and I am determined. The cravings are not bad, it's mostly the habit of reaching, the psychological cues, the ritual that's driving me crazy. This is very hard, but so important. Everyone pray for me!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 00:31
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

I quit 2 weeks ago (the day before I posted to you) and havent smoked since.

I'll be honest...I didnt want to quit. My oldest son (5) was becoming fascinated with my habit and I felt I had no choice...it needed to be done. But the reality was that I felt like I had lost a best friend.

And the site I recommended did help. It didnt feel like I was missing the nicotine...I was missing the social and "something to do" aspects of the habit. I felt like I was no longer in a club that I still wanted to belong to...that many of my associates, my friends, my family, my husband...still belonged to.

And I didnt freak out during the first few days...I lost it about 6 days in. I was missing my family (we moved 3000 miles away from my family last sept and it was the anticipation of the move that had started me smoking again in June 2003)...and I missed my friends...and I wanted to be able to just smoke mindlessly and focus on the action instead of thinking about how sorry I felt for myself. Smoking gave me something to do..something to distract me. I hated giving it up...and in all honesty...if they ever find a way to make a cigarette that isnt bad for you (hardly likely since it's inhaling smoke of some sort) I'd take it up again. Truthfully wouldnt have quit were it not for my son.

I did have a week or so of sticking some extra food in my mouth. I stayed low-carb but was eating more ....till I saw my scale creep up 3 pounds. I've got that back under control too. I was probably eating 1/3 again my normal calorie intake just out of a desire to stick something in my mouth. Got past that too. Scale's headin back down.

I still recommend that site and can only tell you that it is doable. I was smoking about a pack a day (occassionally a couple more)...all total about 15 years on and off. The last time I quit it was because I got pregnant and I did great for 4 years...wasnt even missing it until I got soooo tweaked out about moving. This time it needs to be permanent.

It can be done. Just wanted you to know. I'm on my way to a smoke free life and you can be too...whether you want it or not. I didnt want it...just knew I needed to do it and here I am. I'm positive I'm through the rough part. You can do it...just get determined, read that site once a day, and take support wherever you can get it.

I honestly feel fine now though. Been all good for the past 5 or 6 days. I dont feel the urge on my own anymore...although watching someone else still makes me miss it. My lungs feel AWESOME...and can only get better.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 00:35

Stats: 308/260/175 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 36%

Just browsing around before I head off.

Congratulations! Keep up the good work.
See you around.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 09:45
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Ladycody, your post helps. I made it about 24 hours after that last post before I caved and had a smoke. I knew that doing it would put me right back to where I was, but I still did it. I haven't forgotten that I want to quit and I still think about it all the time. I have a six-year old daughter, and she's actually the one pushing me the most. She hates it and thinks it's disgusting, and I've told her that it is. I've explained to her how harmful it is and that it's also very hard to quit, so that's why she should never, ever smoke. I think I've gotten through to her, but now evrytime she catches me smoking she gets upset because she thinks I'm going to to get sick. So of course, I feel terrible that she has to worry because of me. That's the biggest factor. So, I think I'm ready to try again after this pack is finished. I'll post here when I get some hours under my belt and update how it's going. Thank for the great support!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 07:15

Stats: 248/233/180 Male 71 inches
BF:35/xx/22
Progress: 22%

[QUOTE=trishw1213]McFlint,
I've spent a total of a few hours at whyquit.com. I actually started having chest pains while reading these pages, real or imagined I don't know. I had six cigarettes between leaving work and going to bed last night,

Trish,

You're not alone in your quest to quit. It is great that you keep posting and working on quitting. It took awhile for me to get all the stars and planets into alignment in order for me to start quitting. Each of us quits in our own time. Keep on working at it.

Jerry
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 20:06

Stats: 308/260/175 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 36%

With a six year old daughter pushing you , you'll find a way to quit. I'm going to lose the weight because I want to but more so because I want to be around my grandchildren as long as I can.
Good Luck and just remember your daughter.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 20:23
Registered Member

Stats: 141/133/110 Female 60
BF:28/28/21
Progress: 26%
Default Talk to your doctor about Zyban

If you don't really want to quit, its going to be very hard. I started smoking at 15, and last year, I had just HAD IT. I was tired of it...it make me feel like crap, I smelled like crap, etc, etc. I bought the book "Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking" and it helped me decide that it was time to quit. I tried a few different things to quit, but it was still just too hard. Just like you, smoking was a part of my life. So I went to my doctor and he prescribed me Zyban, which is a smoking cessation drug. In three days, I was done with smoking. That was December 8th, 2003. Its now September 12th, and I haven't had a cigarette since!
Once you quit, you will wonder why you ever started!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 11:14
Registered Member

BF:

Strange, jquillen, that I just got on here and read your post, because I just called my doctor and made an appointment not 2 hours ago. I go in today at 2:30. I've been waking up and trying to quit every day but I never make it through. Friday I smoked all day and my chest was burning by mid-afternoon. I've had that before but never all day long. On Saturday I woke up and my arm was numb and tingly. I didn't smoke all day but by 8pm I was having panic attacks, caved and smoked a few cigarettes before I went to bed. On Sunday it was the same. At that point I started thinking that I'm not going to be able to do this alone, however the time has come that I no longer have the choice about not quitting. It is going to kill me and I'm too young to have angina (if that's what this is). So I hope the doc can get to the bottom of this and do something to help me. Wish me luck!