Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 20:33

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Blue Cheese

I bought a large package of blue cheese from Costco. I absolutely love the stuff, but no one in my family can understand why.
Would you believe I left some of it too long, and it went bad.
What hubby would like to know: How do you tell when blue cheese goes bad?????? hehehe He thinks it looks and smells disgusting all the time!!!

Glenda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 02:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/126/119
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm with your husband on this one, Glenda! Ew!!! If it has mould on it- throw it away!

Sorry to be no help- just wanted to share!!

Daisy

#3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 10:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

I didn't know it could go bad. I just thought that it developed more "character" .
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Blue Cheese

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenda
What hubby would like to know: How do you tell when blue cheese goes bad?
Blue cheese is just white that already has gone bad! That green stuff actually is mold! The whole thing started when a French shepherd near Roquefort, France once realized he had forgotten his cheese in a cave when he had found shelter. This being his only source of food, he went back to retrieve it, only to find it all moldy from the cave. Since this was his only food, he decided to give it a bite and found out it tasted… very good! Roquefort has since been one of the oldest cheeses in France. Once, Charlemagne was visiting the area and the local bishop offered him some of that cheese: upon seeing that Charlemagne was removing the green spots with the tip of his knife, he told him: "You're removing the best part!" Unlike other later blue cheeses, Roquefort is made out of ewe's milk though but the principle is always the same: don't worry about it going bad for it already has!
PS: What hubby doesn't know: looks and smells matter not at all when it comes to cheese. Only taste does…
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 11:17

BF:

Thanks for the insight Bill!!!
Unfortunately, hubby would tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to taste too!!
When I said my blue cheese had gone bad, it really had!!! When I opened it up, instead of white with blue or green veins, it was just covered in green fuzz!!!! I guess I will have to buy smaller packages!!!

Glenda
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 12:44

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

The king of Cheeses! STILTON

Absolutely my favourite cheese. Blue, veiny ,crumbly, creamy......almost orgasmic.

It is far better than Rockefort and half the salt content, in fact the lowest salt of all the blue cheeses.

It has been around in England for over 300 years!

Long known as the king of cheeses it is one of a handful of British cheeses granted the status of a protected designation origin" (PDO) by the European Commission. Only cheese produced in the three counties of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, and Nottinghamshire and made according to a strict code may be called Stilton. There are just six dairies that make it. A truly remarkable cheese.

Oh ..... sorry got carried away....the answer to your question is that Stilton will keep ok in the fridge for six weeks if wrapped. But unlike many other cheeses CAN be put in the freezer.

Defrost overnight or bring out of the fridge and allow to rise to room temp (68F)

Try www.stiltoncheese.com for places to buy in US. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stiltonlogoprocessblack.jpg (36.3 KB, 117 views)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 20:45

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Try Cambonzola! (Camembert with a vein of gorgonzola) It is sooooo delicious that it won't hang around long enough to go bad.

I'm with you on all of these moldy cheeses - they're just divine and I crave them endlessly. (I need a drooling smiley here ) I tend to hang around the cheese department sniffing every kind of cheese available. The more it stinks, the more I know I'm going to like it! I don't know how I survived the low-fat diet years.

Yum, yum, yum.

Allison
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 12:13
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs down 300 years ONLY!?

Quote:
Originally posted by rustpot
It has been around in England for over 300 years!
By comparison to Roquefort, that would make it a rookie. Roquefort goes back to the 11th century! Besides, I don’t really like Stilton. Too dry. And its taste is too wimpy too; that, on the another hand makes it ideal for making blue vinaigrette: I always make my blue vinaigrettes with Stilton. The English blue I like is Cheshire (one of the oldest English cheeses, by the way…). It has much more character… (I also love Sage Derby though…) As for PDO, true Roquefort can only be made in… (where else?) Roquefort-sur-Soulzon.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 12:57

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

I just LOVE bleu cheese!! AND, because my husband and sons think it's caca, It is mine-all-mine, so I can just take the 'hunk' out of the fridge and munch. But BECAUSE it is mine-all-mine, it can sometimes get too old and not eaten up. I have HAD it turn bad and believe me you can tell-- even just to lift it up to your mouth--PU. And I've had it get to the 'fuzzy' point and even slimy. Eeeeewwww.

But when fresh, it's second to brie in my book.

YB
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 13:05

BF:
Smile

It's nice to know there are other blue cheese lovers out there!!!!
I don't believe I have tried Stilton cheese, but just may buy some in the near future to give it a try!!
Thanks for all the info!!!

Glenda
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 14:43

Stats: 190/156/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Lightbulb Re: 300 years ONLY!?

Quote:
Originally posted by BillT
As for PDO, true Roquefort can only be made in… (where else?) Roquefort-sur-Soulzon.

Aw, c'mon Bill . . . be adventurous . . . take a walk on the wild side . . . try some cheese from Wisconsin . . . I think you'd be pleased!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 17:07

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

To quote The Continental (Christopher Walken):

You know, Champagna isn't really Champagna unless it comes from the province of Champagna.... I learned that in Bartending School.

#13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 02:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default Mmh! Beefy!

Quote:
Originally posted by DawnJ
Aw, c'mon Bill . . . be adventurous . . . take a walk on the wild side . . . try some cheese from Wisconsin . . . I think you'd be pleased!
So far, all the cheeses from Wisconsin I've tried tasted like total crap (with the possible exception of a marginally acceptable Limburger but washed rind cheeses aren't my cup of tea…). Even Vermont cheeses taste better in my opinion! US-wise, I'll stay faithful to California artisan cheeses (My favorite? The "Humboldt Fog." Try it, folks!) There is, however, something from Wisconsin I'd more than pleased to try (or to please) but that ain't cheese…