Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 09:38

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%
Default Resistant Carbs: The Secret Weapon to Fight Cancer?

I wasn't sure where to put this... a friend posted it to a health and wellness group I belong to, so I thought I'd put it here and get your thoughts!

Resistant Carbs: The Secret Weapon to Fight Cancer?
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/resi...bs-fight-cancer

Today, many people worry about what carbs can do to their waistline. But it’s important to bear in mind that there are unhealthy carbs and healthy carbs. Unhealthy carbs, such as refined grains found in white bread, pasta, rice, pastries and processed snacks, can cause blood sugar to rise, which can lead to weight gain and inflammation linked to many diseases. But healthy carbs, also known as “resistant carbs,” such as whole grains, legumes and starchy vegetables, are actually good for your overall health. In fact, Integrative Gastroenterologist Robynne Chutkan, MD views resistant carbs as “miracle cure-alls” that may even protect you against diseases such as cancer and diabetes.

What’s the difference between resistant carbs and “white” carbs?

Traditional refined carbs are completely broken down in the upper digestive tract, or small intestine, where they are converted into glucose, which causes a quick energy boost but can also trigger chronic inflammation and increase body fat storage. Resistant carbs, on the other hand, pass through the small intestine and enter the large intestine entirely intact, thus creating a sustained energy release and transporting important nutrients to the large bowel.

Protection against colon cancer, breast cancer and diabetes

Resistant carbs may help ward off serious disease. For instance, they may help prevent colon cancer by sweeping the colon and bulking up stools to eliminate toxins from the body. Resistant carbs also function as a type of pre-biotics, promoting healthy flora in the intestinal tract. They also produce short-chain fatty acids, the healthy energy source for cells that line the colon. By switching to a mainly plant-based diet rich in resistant carbs, you could help cut your risk of colon cancer by 50%.

Research also shows that resistant carbs may help reduce the risk of breast cancer, particularly breast cancer with tumors that are estrogen-receptor positive.

Resistant carbs help reduce the risk of diabetes since they do not convert directly into sugar, thus preventing dramatic blood sugar spikes and protecting the pancreas from wearing out from overproduction of insulin.

To help reap the benefits of resistant carbs, Dr. Chutkan recommends following these rules:

1. Eat Your Pasta Undercooked
When pasta is overcooked, the starch is more readily broken down into sugars and has a higher glycemic index. Don’t overcook your pasta. Cook whole-wheat or multi-grain pasta the Italian way: al dente, which literally means “to the tooth” and is firm to the bite. When pasta is firm, digestive enzymes in the gut take longer to break down the starch into sugars. Thus, the sugar is slowly released into the bloodstream, causing less insulin release and making it easier to prevent weight gain.

Cook your pasta 3 to 4 minutes less than what the package instructs so that it has a slight snap when you bite into it. To reap the resistant starch benefits of pasta, eat 1 to 2 whole-wheat or whole-grain pasta dishes every week.

2. The Cook-Then-Cool Technique
By cooling resistant starches, you can actually increase their nutritional value, making them even more resistant to be being broken down in the small intestine. Cool down your carbs before eating them. Make a habit of eating a bowl of cold brown rice and beans at least 2-3 times a week as a main dish or side dish.

3. Buy the Bs: Bread, Beans and Barley
These carbs – bread (whole-wheat or whole-grain), beans and barley – have more fiber than other types of starches and trigger less breakdown of glucose. They also keep you feeling full longer without spiking blood sugar to help control the pounds.

4. Eat Green Bananas
Green bananas contain less sugar, more fiber and healthful resistant starch than ripened yellow bananas. Prepare green bananas by boiling them in their skin so they are easier to peel. Mash, cool and season them with salt, pepper and a little butter. Serve as you would a side dish. Eat two servings of green bananas every week. If you regularly eat yellow bananas, eat no more than 1 or 2 of them a week.

Bonus Rule: Take Probiotics
Probiotics are bacteria that help maintain the natural balance of organisms in the intestines and promote digestive health. Resistant carbs act as pre-biotics, the food that probiotics, or healthy gut bacteria, feed off of. Pre-biotics and probiotics go hand in hand so make sure you are getting both. Eat probiotic-rich yogurt regularly or take probiotic supplements, available at drugstores and health stores.

A Note on Resistant-Starch Flour
To increase the amount of resistant starch in your diet, stock your pantry with resistant starch flour. Sorghum flour, corn or maize flour, and green banana flour fall in the resistant starch category. One cup of resistant starch flour contains 8 grams of fiber, more than twice the amount of fiber found in regular white flour. Resistant starch fiber also contains 50 calories less per cup than white flour. Try using it to make pizza crusts, muffins, or thicken soups and sauces.

In recipes that call for regular flour, replace 1/3 regular flour with starch resistant flour. In other words, if a recipe calls for 1 cup of regular flour, use 1/3 cup resistant starch flour and 2/3 cups regular flour. Look for sorghum and corn flour at supermarkets or health food stores. Green banana flour can be purchased online along with other resistant starch flours.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 10:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

IMHO resistant carbs are the last refuge of the addicted. It's magic thinking. The whole concept of "good carbs" and "bad carbs" is nonsense, for the most part. Most people have pretty drastic blood sugar increases, even with so-called resistant starches. That is what things like Dreamfields pasta is made from, but in studies most people had blood sugar rises just as high as from regular pasta, it might be a little delayed, but it still happened.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 11:13

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

As soon as I reached the third line and words "healthy grains" followed by "whole grains" in the next line I had to stop. I'll come back and read the whole thing later out of respect because you took the trouble to post it - and, who knows, maybe something will be said that doesn't give me agita!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 11:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
who knows, maybe something will be said that doesn't give me agita!

Nope. The BS just rose higher and higher.

Personally I won't be ingesting under-cooked whole wheat pasta, bread, green bananas, cold brown rice, beans and barley, corn, maize and sorghum flour, then swallowing probiotic supplements to "feed off" them, all to reduce insulin spikes that I don't get if I don't eat any of that carbage in the first place or to provide fiber that I'm already getting in adequate quantities from non-starchy vegetables and fruit! Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 12:34

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Nope. The BS just rose higher and higher.

Personally I won't be ingesting under-cooked whole wheat pasta, bread, green bananas, cold brown rice, beans and barley, corn, maize and sorghum flour, then swallowing probiotic supplements to "feed off" them, all to reduce insulin spikes that I don't get if I don't eat any of that carbage in the first place or to provide fiber that I'm already getting in adequate quantities from non-starchy vegetables and fruit! Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

I know, right??
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 15:57

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Whenever this topic is raised on this forum it is instantly dismissed, probably because the word 'carb' is considered offensive. I've done a bit of reading around the subject and I think it is worth keeping an open mind. There is some interesting research, but more needs to be done. Some people have had good weight loss results increasing their resistant starch and there may be health benefits. I'm not into internet squabbles on the subject, but I am keeping an open mind. I happen to like unripe bananas and potato salad, so they have made it back onto my menu.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 07:07

BF:

Absolutely do not want to squabble, but I would like to explain that my, personal, dismissal of healthywholegrains and starches is because I had eaten them every day of my life for decades (and in even larger quantities for the 10 years when I was a vegan). I used to love unripe bananas, potatoes, brown rice, and just about every other form of grain or starch available. They had no health benefits for me. It was not until I stopped eating them completely that I realized they had caused: asthma, annulare granuloma (a skin rash I had for 26 years), joint pain, triglycerides at 380, gum disease, brittle hair and fingernails, and intense, uncontrollable, aching, cravings for more and more and more of them. I know this was all caused by grains and starch because, within weeks of eliminating them from my diet, every single one of those symptoms disappeared - including the 26 year skin rash that no doctor could cure - and two years later have never returned.

When I convinced my boyfriend to stop eating healthywholegrains, in 3 days he lost a debilitating pain in his foot that had plagued him for a few years and within 2 weeks reversed a rapidly rising PSA count (a marker for prostate cancer) that was about to send him for a second painful biopsy.

So, perhaps, "instant" dismissal is not really an accurate characterization of my feelings toward articles like the one in question. I've had decades of health problems to help me decide whether to believe in the healing powers of grains or not. From my experience the only conclusion I can come to is that I emphatically do not. And, I do care about other people, so it worries me to think that they too may be suffering needlessly because they are constantly encouraged to eat these substances.

After all that, for me, the effortless weight loss when I kicked those things to the curb is merely a wonderful, amazing, side effect.

Last edited by Whofan : Thu, Apr-11-13 at 07:15.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 07:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh, I did mess around with resistant starches a bit: Dreamfields' pasta, etc. I even bought some "resistant" corn starch for baking. IMHO it wasn't any better than the "real" thing.

We already know Dreamfields is pure fraud since testing shows people have just as high blood sugar with it compared to real pasta.

I wasn't testing my blood sugar back in my resistant starch days, but I suspect it wasn't any better than when I ate non-resistant starch.

Quote:
I happen to like unripe bananas and potato salad, so they have made it back onto my menu.

That may work out all right. I know some people do okay with some paleo starches, but I don't think it would be wise for me. All my experimenting with carbs just leads to weight gain.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 08:06
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

I do not buy into Dr. Ozs resistance carbs. All he is doing is trying to give hope to those who do not wish to transform their diet to what they need to eat for them to be healthy.

I think the proof is in the pudding per sea. I am a type 2 diabetic. When I was insulin resistant initially I was following what modern medicine and diet industry said about carbs. 45-60 grams of carbs meal. I could have fruits/vegatables just had to watch the amounts. I could have a snack as long as it wasn't greater than 15 carbs. Tried juvinia, metformin, byetta, and even wellabutrin(BTW that was a huge mistake permanent side effects)

It really didn't work for me. I could never eat an apple (one of the lower forms of fruit carbs) with out regretting it within an hour. I be hungry and what I call hollow. Like a ghost of a person. My blood sugar spiked.

Same with whole wheat breads.

They even said I could eat pasta if I did whole grain and kept it to a half of cup.

I started measuring my BG on stuff that they said I could eat. realized they were full of wrong information for me.

So, I cut cereal whole grain and oatmeal. Then, I cut out all fruit. Next, I cut out all Pasta. Then I cut out all bread. Then I cut out desserts(which admittedly was harder ). And so forth. I was down to Rice, and what people term starchy veggies, some green vegetables, tomatos, beans, peanut butter, and nuts.

And through this whole time cutting out all forms of soda including diet. I now only drink water 24 hours a day.

After all that, I was still finding my BG was on bad days after 2 hrs in the 200s. On good days it was 140. Waking up with FBG of 140-180

roughly 2.5 weeks on a LC Dr. Bernteins plan(6 carbs morning,12 carb lunch,12 carb dinner). I woke up today with my lowest FBG yet 99.

My early conclusion is LC is a good plan for insulin resistant (metabolic syndrome), Type 1& type 2 diabetics who literally have trouble with their body's using carbs.

But others who possibility don't have an insulin resistance problem or are not diabetic. It might not be so good for them or they might need to limit but not as drastically as I do.

I know in 3 months I will make my Dr appointment and get my blood work and it will be outstanding. I plan on buying a copy of Dr. Bernstein's book and giving it to my Dr.

And tell her next time you recommend fat surgery (gastro by pass) maybe you should actually research more like I did and work with the patient to figure out what works for them. you know before you suggest drastic surgery that rearrange the innards of your patients.

It is tough to remember that your Dr. has a license to "practice" medicine. Notice it uses the word practice.

We are own best Drs when it comes to our general health. If we pay attention to our bodies and realize when things affect it in a bad or good way.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 13:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hey Lovinita! Nice to see you post here..can tell you are still in the "angry phase" at mainstream doctors. Think mine lasted about two years

But now I do try to keep an open mind about carbs, and am always reading new theories and willing to test them. The Perfect Health Diet convinced me to try these "resistant starches", which they call "safe starches" for other reasons including low toxicity. I was OK adding Sweet Potatoes, so decided to go through Jaminet's precise instructions how to gently boil a white potato, cool it, then gently (that is, not much) re-warm it..only to have a high blood sugar reading. They are also big on white rice, not brown, so then tried some cooked, then cooled rice. (Cold rice! oh, ) Blood sugars even higher! A disaster for me...Wish I had at least enjoyed my fling with starchy carbs while they were hot..cold potato leaves something to be desired. So the Jaminets have a similar theory to Oz's "miracle-cure carbs", studied in a more intelligent and scientific manner ...and they are just as wrong.

Wish I had WhoFan's good sense. Love this:

Quote:
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 14:28

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've been reading up about the Irish potato famine and settlement in the lower Ottawa valley in the early 19th century. Apparently during the famine, maize was imported to Ireland from the New World, and no matter how long it was ground, soaked or cooked, it just made people sick (bloody GI tracts). My ancestors got out before that and settled between Montreal & Ottawa in 1823 where wheat did not grow and was hard to get until canals were built past the rapids, so "my people" probably ate little or no wheat or corn until 100 yrs before I was born. Diaries indicate seed turnips were imported for planting, but not carrots.

I'm with Whofan on what not to eat!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 15:16

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

I don't eat hearthealthywholegrains either because they make me feel sick. However I do eat some starches without effect. Rice doesn't fill me up enough but potatoes do. I guess we all have to experiment to find what is right for us. I cannot do vlc because I need some carbs to feel healthy (without them I get many of the side effects Jaminet talks about), and resistant starches are my preferred vehicle.

Last edited by jmh : Thu, Apr-11-13 at 15:25.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: Primal starting 2014
Stats: 269.7/233.1/175 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Diabetic

As a diabetic it irks me that too many people tells us to eat whole grains ( resistant starch ) as it causes your BS to rise more slowly than say sugar pop or white bread. A diabetic needs to PREVENT not slow the rise in BS. When my levels are high it causes damage regardless of how fast it rose or what I ate to make it rise.

I have no friggin hair on my legs due to damage from high BS. I don't care what anyone else eats but at least have the &%^** to not lie and say your food is good for people to eat.

Rant over - my head hurts.

BTW - I found no sugar caramel topping that has more than 40 carbs per Table spoon.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 19:49
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

~ Janet,

Interesting you tried it. I am hoping once the weight is off and my BGs are normal and I am back to being active again that I can add back a couple of things. Crushed Tomatoes or lightly breading stuff like chicken. I love my homemade chicken fingers. And once and while have one or two popovers with hubby(they are 22 carbs a piece so may not be possible).

But I am not fully convinced I will be able to, just based on my past experience.

I am waiting for the gene therapy they are doing overseas on rats. That they were able to turn a type 1 diabetic rat into a normal with just 1 treatment of gene therapy.

I am hoping that is in my lifetime. Meanwhile, I am working on accepting of my fate.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-13, 05:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Lovinta,
Look into breading substitutes...I mainly use almond flour, though ground pork rinds are popular in our local support group for zero carbs. Chicken finger recipes abound on all the low carb and Paleo for family recipe websites. Popovers may be difficult to pull off with almond flour..maybe coconut flour?