Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 12:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool ONTARIO Recipe Collection - Summer 2001

As promised, here are the favourite recipes from our Ontario Lowcarb Get-Together in Toronto, on Sunday July 22.

Enjoy !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chicken and Turkey Marinade ... from jomil

1/3 cup Garlic Powder
1/3 cup Salt
1/3 cup Cumin Powder
1/4 cup Oregano Leaves, crushed
1/4 cup Black Pepper
1/4 cup Chili Powder (opt.)

1. Combine all above and store in air-tight container.
2. When ready to marinate chicken or turkey; mix one or two tablespoons of above spice mixture with Canola oil and rub all over the fowl, including the skin.
3. Put in a sealed plastic bag.
4. Store in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, and turn the bag over from time to time to completely marinate the fowl.
5. Roast fowl in preheated 400° F oven until cooked through, about an hour.

- carbs without chili powder - (whole recipe) 79.8g total carbs, 22.9g fiber .... per Tbsp = 3.3g total carbs, 0.95g fiber.
- carbs with chili powder - (whole recipe) 96.2g total carbs, 33.2g fiber .... per Tbsp = 3.4g total carbs, 1.2g fiber

Got this from a wonderful LCer in Michigan named Molly. She develops lot of wonderful recipes and shares them around.

Molly's Asian Burgers --- from tofi (BarB)

1 1/4 pounds ground beef
6 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 lettuce leaves

Preheat grill or broiler.

Combine peanut butter, sour cream, 1 tablespoon of lime juice and 2 teaspoons soy sauce. Mix until smooth.

In a separate bowl combine ground beef, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon lime juice, coriander, ginger and red pepper flakes. Knead together and form into 4 patties.

Place patties on grill and cook until done.

Remove from grill, top with peanut sauce, and place each in a large lettuce leaf. lettuce. (Nice big lettuce leaves can be used as faux hamburger buns.)

Serves 4 ~ 493 calories, 42 grams fat, 24 grams protein, and 6 grams carbohydrates w/ 1 gram fiber.

Onion Frittata ... from debbiedobson

baking spray
4T olive oil
1 large spanish onion sliced
8oz swiss cheese grated
1c salted sunflower seeds
10 eggs
water
grated nutmeg to taste
salt and pepper to taste

- i like to use my cast iron pan for this.
- heat pan over medium heat. add oil. when oil is hot add onion. season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. reduce heat to medium-low and cook onion until browning.
- remove from heat and cool. whiisk eggs with a little water. add grated nutmeg, salt and pepper. add cheese and onions to egg mixture.
- spray pan with pam. heat over medium heat. add 2T olive oil. add egg mixture. cover pan and reduce heat to medium low. - cook 1/2 hr. remove lid. place under preheated broiler 5-10min. till lightly brown on top.
- serves 8 - (for recipe) 59.1g total carbs, 15.5g fiber ... (per serving) = 7.4g total carbs, 1.9g fiber

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sylvie’s Fave Summer Side .... from sylvie p

This is a dish my family eats a lot in the summer time when the peppers are fresh. I remember visiting Italy in the summer time and both my grandmas making this dish as a side or great on its own - (of course, they’d also have it in a sandwich but we’re not going to worry about that).

2 medium sweet red peppers
2 medium green peppers
3 cloves garlic
¼ cup olive oil (I eyeball it so I’m really guessing here)
4 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup fresh parsley

In a large frying pan add olive oil, garlic (cloves cut in halves), green and red peppers cut into pinky width slices. Add salt and pepper to taste

Let cook until peppers have reached a softened cooked state but not overly cooked where they become mush.

Beat eggs separately with chopped parsley. Add eggs to peppers in frying pan and use spatula to stir constantly. This is not an omelete, we want the eggs to coat the peppers and form into chunky pieces. You may want to add more salt to taste here.

Once the eggs are cooked, remove from heat and use as a side to any meat - steak, chicken, pork, kabobs, etc.

Serves 4 (but if you’re Italian it’ll serve 2)

Total Carbs 23.5 grams, Fat 34.9 grams, Protein 28.7 grams, Fiber 5.5 grams.

Per Serving (if divided by 4): Carbs 5.8 grams, Fat 8.7 grams, Protein 7.2 grams, Fiber 1.4 grams.

Per Serving (if divided by 2): Carbs 11.7 grams, Fat 17.5 grams, Protein 14.3 grams, Fiber 2.7 grams.

Buon Appetito!

Sausage Quiche ... from Sharon

4 - sausages (2 hot or Italian and 2 regular) (not the small breakfast type)
1/3 cup chopped onion
4 ounces mushrooms (chopped or sliced)
2 eggs - beaten
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup heavy cream
6 ounces cheddar cheese - grated
salt and pepper

1. Cook saausages and set aside to cool. Saute onions and mushrooms in the same frying pan while sausages are colling. Chop sausages into 1/2 size pieces when cool enough to handle.

2. Put chopped sausages, mushrooms and onions in the bottom of a sprayed pie plate.

3. Mix eggs, cheese, mayonnaise, cream, water, salt and pper and power over ingredients in pit plate.

4. Bake at 350 - 40-45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.

5. Can be frozen and reheated in individual portions if desired. Good for breakfast alone, or with a salad for lunch!!

- serves 4 - (for recipe) 21.4g total carbs, 2.4g fiber; (per serving) = 5.3g total carbs, 0.6g fiber

Grilled Whole Fish .... from doreen T

This is adapted from a recipe I found in Canadian Living.

1 whole whitefish, trout or salmon, approx. 3 lbs, cleaned and scaled
1 tsp salt
4 slices lemon, cut in half
fresh parsley sprigs

marinade -
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (or dry white wine)
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
cayenne pepper, to taste

marinade - whisk together ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup; set aside.

- rinse fish and pat dry. Remove fins and head. Cut shallow diagonal slashes through the skin on each side of fish.
- sprinkle fish inside and out with salt. Stuff cavity with lemon slices and parsley sprigs. Loosely skewer fish closed.
- Place fish in shallow glass dish, pour marinade over, and turn to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap, and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or 2 to 3 hrs. in the fridge, turning occasionally.
- Prehaeat grill to medium-hot. Place fish in well-greased fish basket, reserving marinade. Place fish on grill, 4 to 6" from heat.
- cover with lid or tent of foil; grill fish for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, or until flesh is opaque and flakes easily with fork. Baste occasionally with reserved marinade, and turn fish over half-way through cooking time.
- may also be cooked under the broiler of a regular oven. Adjust rack 4 to 6" below element, and do not cover fish during cooking.

- serves 4 - per serving 1.2g total carbs, 0.1g fiber
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 18:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

doreen! you dynamo you! thanks for posting all these recipes. i want everyone to realize all the work you went to figuring out the food counts. i don't know about everyone else, but i didn't include mine. i'd guesstimated mine to around 5 or 6 per serving. i do have it at home in my fitday.com file, but i didn't suppy it for doreen!

once again doreen goes over and above the call of duty! i wish we had a medal for her! hey and for wa'il too!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hey sylvia!! you sweetie pie! that's so similar to a recipe my mom (italian) makes me for lunch. she however serves it inside of two slices of italian bread! mmmmmmm!
had a blast with you sylvia!!
hugs
debbie