Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 10:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/129.5/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default More Exercise, More Hunger !!

I went on two consecutive 6 mile hikes this weekend, which is a lot of outdoor exercise for me! By the second day, I was ravenous, I couldn't seem to get enough to eat to fill me up, and gosh darn it I was craving spaghetti! I haven't craved pasta in a year!

I feel so much more energetic nowadays, and love to get outside and play, but what do you do when it increases your appetite? Do you guys think it would be okay to up my carbs on an active day? I sure was craving them. I actually had two bagels!

Anyone have any advice on how to eat after a good workout? Thanks!

Ramona
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 18:49

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Anyone have any advice on how to eat after a good workout?
some people drink / eat protein 30-mins after their workout for muscle re-building. myself on protein shakes whenever available but otoh i dont really feel the hungry sensation after workout these days maybe becuz ive gotten used to it

here's somethin from askmen.com...
"the period immediately following a workout is the best time for your body to burn fat and absorb the nutritional components of foods. Even if you're starving after a workout, don't eat a huge meal right away. Regardless how well proportioned and balanced your meal is, eating too much can cause your body to release massive amounts of insulin, which can cause your body to store fat."

from maxsportsmag.com
Cardiovascular & aerobic athletes
"Try to take in a meal with a four-to-one carbohydrate-to-protein ratio," suggests Kleiner. "It should have no less than 80 carbohydrate grams and 20 grams of protein. It needs to be taken within 30 minutes after exercise for best results."

reading this kinda oppose to what our ckders and nhers are doing where they do not take any carbs during post workouts (as they have to keep carbs low during lc days) - my solid answer so far is take protein

maybe some experts on here can give us more advise
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 23:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/129.5/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Thanks for that good advice. I'm kind of thrilled that I am actually active enough to "work up an appetite", now I know what that term means!

It makes sense to eat protein, I was in a situation where I hadn't packed my own food and all there was to eat was bananas, sweetened yogurt, and bagels. Apparently, eating that stuff spiked my appetite. Always something new to learn!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: 150/129/? Male growing (5'4-5'5?)
BF:
Progress:

I eat protein after cardio and protein and carbs after weight lifting.

If you don't want to keep on losing weight, you could certainly have some carbs after cardio. It won't make you gain weight.