Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 23:04

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%
Default Hi I'm new

Hi guys/ladies!! I am starting Sugarbusters tomorrow 2/12/03. I am not sure how much Iwant to lose, but I think somewhere around 50 pounds. I will be keeping a journal starting tomorrow and reading these threads. Hopefully joining this website will help me stay on my diet. I went off of it after losing around 15 pounds due to binging. I hope I can get rid of the habit again. One cheat lead to a long time of being off this diet. About 2-3 months. I have kept some of the weight off.

Any tips would be appreciated. But I will try to read all the back threads. Glad to be here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 07:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugarbusters
Stats: 288/244/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Hi Lovable!

Welcome to SB! I am kind of new here myself. I have found the SB plan to be the best I have tried in a long time. Once I was on it a bit, it seemed so easy! I like not having to count grams, or points, or obsess over that kind of stuff.

You mentioned you had done something before. Was it SB? How much had you lost when you fell off the program? I used to do Atkins/Protein Power, but never could lose. Once I switched to SB, I was able to lose, but very slowly. I am hypothyroid, so it is hard to lose.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi! Glad you're here.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 11:53

I weighed in today and it's been a long time. I lost 24 pounds and as of today have kept 21 off. Which I'm happy about. I was doing Suzanne Somers for the first 6 pounds, then the food combining was getting to me, so then I did Sugar Busters for about 3-4 weeks. I lost my 24 pounds in about 6 weeks. I attempted Atkins, but lost nothing. That is when I quit. I am going to try Sugar Busters again and hopefully it works. I have insulin resistance so I usually lose weight like a turtle. Some reason Atkins halted me! I can't believe I kept 21 pounds off, I usually diet, get off, then gain the weight back quickly, plus another 10!
I like Sugar Busters because of the ease. I don't like to count fat grams, calories, or carb grams, or anything for that fact. And when I started counting those type of things I started to stall. I don't have time to sit there and add things up and try to get to certain numbers. On Atkins I felt like I was in Math class all day trying to find a certain formula to equal certain amount of carbs. Plus my dad loves this diet and I think if I get on it the chances of getting him to go on it also will be higher.

Last edited by LovableLC : Wed, Feb-12-03 at 12:14.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 06:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugarbusters
Stats: 288/244/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

I had to giggle when you talked about feeling like you were in math class trying to figure carbs on Atkins. I know what you mean! Then if you don't lose, everyone is telling you to look for hidden carbs, and figure your packets of Splenda, and this and that, and my head starts to ache! I too love the ease of SugarBusters.

Its interesting that you lost on SB, but stalled on Atkins. I am the same way, I did Atkins first and lost nothing, then switched to SB, and started to lose, though slowly. I am insulin resistant too, as well as hypothyroid. I have read that your thyroid needs carbs to convert the T4 it makes to T3. I thought that was a bunch of hooey, but in my experience, I lose when I eat carbs, and I don't lose if I don't. By any chance, have you had your thyroid checked? A lot of people with borderline thyroid problems are never diagnosed, because doctors think if you are in the normal range, you are ok. Normal for me is way at the low end of the range, and I did not lose until my doctor dramatically increased my thyroid replacement hormones, and gave me a supplimentary T3.

By the way, 24 pounds in six weeks sounds more like the hare, and not the turtle to me! It would be great if you could do that again! I hope this time, you can maintain though. Nothing is more frustrating then losing the same pounds over again!

Have a great day!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 23:50

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 175/175/150
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Monet and Loveable,

I like the ease of this diet too. I'm watching a bit carefully for this week and next week cause I'm still so new at this and I still have to learn how to judge things.

Nice to meet you both.

Carole
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 06:35

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Hello Lovable!

Glad to have you here at the SB Forum.
Pleae feel free to ask any questions you may have. We'll do our best to help.

molly
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 23:06

Monday I am starting fresh with no illegal foods! Darn Valentines Day threw me for a loop.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 06:57

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I understand completely LLC!
Holidays can be just plain dangerous as they are populated with wicked little sugar monsters!

I admire your determination!

I've not had a good week end here so how about we both start with a re-newed sense of committment on Monday? Anybody else care to join us?

molly

Last edited by molly1844 : Sun, Feb-16-03 at 07:00.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 18:09

Happy to admit that I have not cheated today. And I am determined not to cheat at least till Easter meal.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 12:48

Plan: SugarBusters loosely
Stats: 251/229/205
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Hello Lovable!

I am new here also by the way.

Moderation is the key with SB. I have been on SB for 4 months and all my stalls occur when I over do it on 'legal' foods like whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat pasta. They all have a low to moderate GI, but overdoing it will still add up the total of carbs. It took me a while to realize that what the SB authors say is true: You should be able to fill your plate to the rim, but one plate is all you shoud eat, and not heaping that one plate!

Weight loss with me on SB is pain stakingly slow (sometimes less than a pound per week), but constant. When I get discouraged, I try to focus on just how much BETTER I feel, that alone motivates me. Headaches are a thing of the past since I've been doing SB!

You'll like the weight loss, but you won't believe how much better you feel!

Last edited by sjburtoft : Thu, Mar-06-03 at 12:59.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 255/204/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

I'm the same way. I lost 25 pounds the first couple months on SB but was to the book about everything.
After 7 months I've adjusted my diet to fit my life so my weight loss is slower. I seem to alternate between losing pounds and clothing sizes. Either way I'm feeling great and not gaining so whatever I'm doing is working!

Both my kids are eating SB (15 & 9) and it's so great to see them eating healthy.