Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 21:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/220/190 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default ACSM rebuttal?

Anyone have an answer to the ACSM report bashing LC diets? They claim that carbs burn first, then muscle, then fat. If you've read it, they present scientific proof that LC diets are short term and don't work.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 22:09

Stats: 320/275/190 Male 70in
BF:
Progress: 35%

Acsm??????
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 22:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/205/205 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 100%

Alcohol burns first--must be the body's preferred fuel. The other explanation is that the body burns the toxic fuel first. Niether case is a good argument for carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 22:48

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksinrod
Anyone have an answer to the ACSM report bashing LC diets? They claim that carbs burn first, then muscle, then fat. If you've read it, they present scientific proof that LC diets are short term and don't work.

A link to the report would be nice. ASCM = American College of Sports Medicine?

If muscle is used before fat, then all biochemistry books must be wrong. All endurance athletes would be without muscles.

Define short term. I have been on low-carb for over two and a half years and it seems to be working fine.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 10:01

Stats: 270/220/190 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default American College of Sports Medicine report

I'm not the basher, I'm just looking for a rebuttal. By the way I'm a 7 year Atkins guys with a permanent loss of 50 lbs.
OK sorry folks I assumed their report would be known to you. The ACSM is the American College of Sports Medicine. A group of top flight researchers. Here's the gist of it:

The reason you lose the weight is because the average body has about 10lbs of gycogen (the main thing your body uses to produce ATP ((A form of energy for the body to use))) in storage. Now each molecule of glycogen carries 2.5 molecules of water with it. So that means if you have 10lbs of glycogen then you have 25lbs of water with it totaling to about 35lbs on average. When you cut the carbs, your body isn't getting the glycogen it needs and in consequence water is now not getting into the blood cells. You just dropped 35lbs in water and glycogen, things your body most definitely needs. If the body doesn't have glycogen to use for energy it'll next go to protein before it goes to fat. So now after those 35lbs your now losing lean body mass.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 10:27

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
The ACSM is the American College of Sports Medicine. A group of top flight researchers. Here's the gist of it:

The reason you lose the weight is because the average body has about 10lbs of gycogen (the main thing your body uses to produce ATP ((A form of energy for the body to use))) in storage. Now each molecule of glycogen carries 2.5 molecules of water with it. So that means if you have 10lbs of glycogen then you have 25lbs of water with it totaling to about 35lbs on average. When you cut the carbs, your body isn't getting the glycogen it needs and in consequence water is now not getting into the blood cells. You just dropped 35lbs in water and glycogen, things your body most definitely needs. If the body doesn't have glycogen to use for energy it'll next go to protein before it goes to fat. So now after those 35lbs your now losing lean body mass.

so where does the ACSM crowd think humans got all these necessary carbs before ogranized agriculture, ie. before 10,000 years ago, ie. the first 2 MILLION years of our evolutionary adaptation to a diet of animal protein and fat?

I would suggest that carrying around 35 pounds of glycogen and water is not very healthy and if indeed that is the case, I for one am glad to be rid of it!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 10:53

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'll have to find a citation for you, but the body ONLY 'burns' muscle tissue for fuel under EXTREME starvation situations. The body is NOT that stupid, to consume itself when there are plenty of food calories coming in -- as on a low-carb way of eating.

This ASCM 'person' is dead wrong there. Just reciting myths and folklore, because low-carbing challenges some cherished faith and beliefs.

And besides many, many low-carb studies have shown that you lose MORE muscle mass on a starchy-carby 'runner's diet, than on a low-carb diet. That's consistent, and not disputed.

In addition, it's been shown that marathon runners actually burn a lot of fat, NOT exclusively glucose during their runs. In fact, the crackpot 'carbo-loading' that they do cannot increase the amount of glycygen in their tissues. Most of those loaded carbos are stored overnight as fat (about 42% saturated by the way) and burned during the race as fat. NOT as carbs.

The spokesperson is stuck in the glucose world.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 11:05

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Jksinrod,

I checked the ASCM web site and could not find a report that seemed to be the one you are referring to. Do you know the report title and authors?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 12:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I'm not the basher, I'm just looking for a rebuttal. By the way I'm a 7 year Atkins guys with a permanent loss of 50 lbs.
OK sorry folks I assumed their report would be known to you. The ACSM is the American College of Sports Medicine. A group of top flight researchers. Here's the gist of it:

All I can say to this is, "boloney!" and the scientific studies back it up:
http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/1/11-918650.html
http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/4/16-90624.html
http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/1/19-51552.html
http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/12/6-493360.html
http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/1/11-65155.html
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 17:12

Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%
Default Glycogen

I realise this is not your view jksinrod, but I thought I would add a little bit about glycogen just so you know the summary of the report you provided is nonsense from the very beginning!

- I'm sure he won't mind me posting this here, but these are the words of Gabriel Guzman posted on the Protein Power forum - (Gabe is a biochemist who actually knows what he is talking about here!)

"Q: Are muscle glycogen levels kept relatively constant? Meaning, is there a 'set' level of glycogen that the muscle and liver likes to keep in stock, so to speak? Or is it purely a function of how much carbohydrate you eat?

A:Yes, there is a level of glycogen in the muscle that is always kept. Although we normally talk about "glycogen depletion", in the case of the muscles, which is where most of the glycogen is stored, their content fluctuates less markedly than that of the liver. The human body can store up to ~450 g of glycogen (THATS ONE POUND NOT TEN!), a third of that in the liver and the rest in the muscles. Is important to understand that the glycogen in the liver serves, above all, in the maintenance of the blood glucose level. Muscle glycogen, on the other hand, serves as energy reserve, and it is not involved in maintaining blood glucose levels. The reason for this is simple: muscle lacks an important enzyme that converts an intermediate into glucose. The intermediate itself cannot leave the muscles a go into the bloodstream.

Muscle glycogen is never completely degraded. So, let's say that the muscle can store up to 300 g of glycogen, at least two thirds of that remain fairly constant. Extreme situations such as prolonged fast (true starvation) results in the depletion of protein, rather than glycogen (remember that glucose produced from glycogen canot leave the muscle).

Q: Is there a blood test or some other way to measure glycogen state?

A: I don't think you can measure glycogen state in a blood test. Glycogen is never free in the blood stream. However, it is possible to measure the rate of glycogenesis and glycogenolysis (the making and the breakdown of glycogen, respectively). There is also a recent breath test that measures liver glycogen oxidation. I think these tests are normally useful in the assessment of diseases related to glycogen storage or utilization.

Q: Does carbohydrate loading actually increase the amount of glycogen available? Or is there a maximum amount of glycogen 'space' as it were?

A: That has always been debated. Since the liver content of glycogen is the one that fluctuates the most, that is the one that is synthesized first in the well-fed state. Now, this assumes that there is enough carbohydrate in the diet for glycogen synthesis. Muscle glycogen reserves, since they don't fluctuate that much, are not likely to be altered by carbohydrate loading. This, of course, needs to be put in the right context, and here one needs to distinguish between those who constantly put an energy demand in their muscles and those who are sedentary. Sedentary people rarely deplete their muscle glycogen and since there is always a "base line glycogen", probably not even very active people can completely deplete their muscle reserves of glycogen. So, it is the liver reserves the ones supplied first. After that requirement is met, and since the muscles replenish only a fraction of what they already have, excess carbohydrate doesn' go into glycogen synthesis but to other pathways, such as fat synthesis.

Q: I'm assuming that people who eat LC create glycogen from available amino acids, and tend to replenish their stores this way after severe exercise, perhaps slower?

A: That is only if there is a need for it. Remember that the only purpose of having glycogen is to 1) maintain blood glucose levels and 2) supply energy to the muscles. Those on a carbohydrate-controlled diet still make glycogen with whatever carbohdyrate comes in the diet (note that LC may mean different things). People who don't eat carbohydrates at all (because of geographical locacion where no carbohdyrates are availabe, for example), would supply their muscles with glucose made de novo by gluconeogenesis.

Q:I would think that humans would be engineered to provide a way to create this turbo-charging fuel even if the diet didn't contain large amounts of carbs.

A: Precisely, and gluconeogenesis is one such mechanism. Evolutionary, it is important that the muscles always have some glycogen that they can use for a quick, but powerful, production of energy. That could be the difference between life and dead in a hunter-prey situation. For example, think of an animal that's feeding. It could be us sitting next to a nice fire or a deer grazing. The metabolic status in which feeding stimulates insulin release would at the same time shut down those pathways controlled by glucagon. However, if a predator appears, the animal should be able to flee the site and for that it needs a powerul generation of energy to run, thus it is necessary to have glycogen available for quick glycogenolysis, which in turn produces glucose that is used by the muscles. For liver glycogen to be replenished, it's not necessary to load excess carbohydrate."

The whole thread is here if you are interested;
http://bbs.eatprotein.com/viewtopic...hlight=glycogen

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 17:26
Rather Be Ballooning

Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
If muscle is used before fat, then all biochemistry books must be wrong. All endurance athletes would be without muscles.

As part of my long distance bicycling training I did 2 days of sprint training in addition to my 3 days of distance riding each week. (Sa & M 15 miles w/sprints ; W 50-60 miles; Th 25 miles slow twiddle to deplete lactic acid build up.)

Unless endurance athletes do interval training as part of their overall training they will, in fact, become basically unmuscular (look at long distance runners, for instance) because the body will canabolize muscle for energy in stable speed training. Sprinters and similar atheletes use glycogen from the liver first and then metabolized fat as their energy source.

Check out info on HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) for more info on this subject.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstartz
As part of my long distance bicycling training I did 2 days of sprint training in addition to my 3 days of distance riding each week. (Sa & M 15 miles w/sprints ; W 50-60 miles; Th 25 miles slow twiddle to deplete lactic acid build up.)

Unless endurance athletes do interval training as part of their overall training they will, in fact, become basically unmuscular (look at long distance runners, for instance) because the body will canabolize muscle for energy in stable speed training. Sprinters and similar atheletes use glycogen from the liver first and then metabolized fat as their energy source.

Check out info on HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) for more info on this subject.

Hmmm, while I have no intention of taking my exercise regime to your extremes , I would have to disagree here. Whilst all athletes "use up" available glycogen first, sprinters are one class of athlete who will probably perform better on higher carbs because the conversion of metabolised fat for energy is not fast enough for the sort of explosive bursts they require. Endurance athletes on the other hand, if they adjust to a low carb diet* have been shown to improve their performance by utilising fat as the predominate energy source. Another benefit of this option is reduced lactic acid production (a byproduct of glucose metabolism.)

*http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 18:16
Rather Be Ballooning

Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

#14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 18:44

Quote:
Half Marathon
Without doubt the aerobic system makes the greatest contibution to this event. The other two energy systems will predominate during the first minute or so of the race and in a sprint finish.

What determines whether the athlete is 'burning' carbohydrate or fat during the run?

Well, as the aerobic system begins to predominate, carbohydrate (in the form of glucose and glycogen) will make the greatest contribution to energy production. If exercise intensity is relitively low, fat will be relied on more and more as the duration increases. Again the body doesn't suddenly switch from one substrate to another, the cross over is a gradual shift.

If exercise intensity is relatively high the body will continue to rely predominantly on carbohydrate.

As a very basic summary of energy production for endurance events I don't necessarily disagree. But as Phinney (see the reference above) and many others have concluded there is a different and beneficial outcome for endurance athletes once they have adapted to a low carb diet - where the predominate source of energy for these events comes from fat. The ideal training/adaptation period seems to be 4 - 6 weeks minimum (although some benefits are seen earlier than this), after which time a low carb/high fat approach is superior.

You might like to look at Stuart Trager's experience here - he is one of the chiefs at Atkins Nutritionals - he runs marathons and iron man events on low carb. http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/11/21-571145.html

see also http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/6/17-496610.html

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-06-05, 19:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
You might like to look at Stuart Trager's experience here - he is one of the chiefs at Atkins Nutritionals - he runs marathons and iron man events on low carb. http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/11/21-571145.html

see also http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/6/17-496610.html

You might also want to Google Stu Mittleman, an ultra long distance runner who supports an Atkins-like approach and follows it himself:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...0894006-0951852