Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: GO, formerly CAD, formerly Atkins
Stats: 160/155/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default temptations & boredom

I, too, am afraid of adding any starches. I haven't lost that much yet, but I am losing for a change, so I don't want to disturb the chemistry. That's why I'm a little anxious about switching to CAD/CALP. I like the whole premise better (not to mention the reward meals), but what if it doesn't work for me? I know that's silly and not true, but still...it is a more normal way of eating and living. It is nearly impossible to avoid every bit of flour at every restaurant or someone else's home. I was hoping to hit the 10-pound mark before switching, but at my rate that might be Christmas!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 06:09

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Cool Good Mornin'

Losing weight and changing our way of life and way of eating is a psychological battle as much as a physical one.

I, too, had trouble believing I could lose weight while enjoying a "normal" dinner every night, and even an occasional treat. But, I'm doing it!

It's true, though, that everybody's body is different and you have to do what works for you. All you can do is try it, if you feel you'd like to, and see what happens. You never know, you might even lose faster than you do on Atkins.

Having done Atkins once before, I find that I lose at almost the same rate when doing either Atkins or CAD and I have a much easier time staying on CAD.

But, you can only do what you're comfortable with (mentally and physically). I understand your fear of slowing your weight loss, so go with what you can handle.

Remember, if you're like me, you've carried lots of extra weight around for quite some time, so why the emergency now to lose weight FAST, FAST, FAST! Take comfort in the idea that you are doing something really good for your body and the weight loss will come. (I find that way of thinking much easier on CAD because I don't feel like I'm suffering or deprived.)

Good luck to you in your continued quest for ultimate health and well-being!

Jeannie
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 15:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default attitude

You're right. If I've been overweight for a long time (and long periods of time of doing absolutely nothing about it), then why the big rush now? I guess it's because if I feel I'm doing something proactive and making the effort, then I should have more reward for it. However, it didn't come on at a pound a week, so why should it come off that fast??? As of now, I'm changing my attitude and will start CAD. Thanks!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 20:40

Thumbs up Best of luck

Go for it and give it two weeks. Let your body make the adjustment and see what happens.

Be patient with your body and with yourself. I think you'll really like this WOE. My husband just switched from Atkins to CAD today, as he couldn't take the mega restriction on carbs and just wanted to have some freedom.

Just don't go hog-wild on your RM, pick a treat or a carb each night and ENJOY! It's fun to plan the RM and it's lots of fun to eat it!!!

Tonight, I had ice cream with my RM. It was super yummy. After a while (5 weeks) eating this way, I'm finding that I crave sugar less and less and that it actually gives me intestinal problems with I indulge too much, now. So, I'm even finding lo-sugar ways to enjoy treats. The ice cream I ate tonight was Bryers No Sugar Added and it was delicious! Far less carbs than regular, also. Hey, it can't hurt, right?

Keep us all updated! I can't wait to see how you do and how you like it.

Jeannie
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 08:53
Registered Member

BF:
Default started CAD Monday

Well, I started CAD Monday and I've actually lost 3 pounds already. This is better for me than Atkins. I don't go hog wild for my RM, but still enjoy it. I had some fried plantains last night for dinner (saved them from my Cuban lunch out--I was so good not to eat them) and really savored every bite. I really like wine with dinner, so having to add that into the high-carbs limits my other choices, so I'm really careful not to mess up the balance. It's easier than Atkins, but I'm hungry, so I think I better have a snack (LC of course!). Thanks, Jeannie. This is the second good advice you've given me.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 18:34

Talking That Is So Great

I'm so happy for you! It is amazing that our bodies can actually lose weight while eating more. Bodies are confusing, aren't they?

Anyhoot, I'm just so glad this is working for you. Keep me up to date on your progress.

I've really been doing well, the last few days and broke a plateau I've been on for about a week. YIPPEEE.

I also feel especially good about myself because I had two extraordinarily difficult days yesterday and today and I stayed with my WOE. (Yesterday, a birthday party followed by a picnic, and today went to a Pirate's baseball game with Nachos, beer, cheese fries, etc. all around me. Know what? I didn't even want any!!! I feel sooo good right now.) Oh, and the Pirates even won. Wonders never cease.

So, I'll rejoice with you.

Isn't this WOE great and almost too easy?

Continued good luck to you. We're goin' to do this. Yes we are!

Jeannie
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 15:04
Registered Member

BF:
Talking congrats!

Congratulations, Jeannie! Those are definitely tough circumstances. I'm glad you didn't want any!

I was so hungry between meals last week that (based on some recommendations from others at this site) to add a snack on Saturday and one on Sunday. I was careful to make them relatively small and half low-carb/half protein. Didn't work...today I'm exactly the weight I was when I started. And that's with no breakfast yesterday! I did average it out like I'm supposed to and it looks like I really lost 1/2 pound, so I don't feel too bad. But, no more snacks for me!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 09:22

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default a half pound is a half pound

I do recall having plenty of my own half pound weeks. I consider it a wonderful success because I know that I have been eating healthy and I know that this isn't a loose-weight-quick-diet/gain-it-back-again-diet. It is a ongoing way to live your life and it IS going to take a while to reach your goals.

Remember, good things come to those who wait.

Congratulations, and continued good fortune..............
Libby
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 12:00

Cool Me again

Hi Carol:

Two things. The hunger may settle down after a while, so don't give up 'cause you feel hungry. It's gotta be an insulin thing.

Also, don't give up on the snacks, too fast. One day isn't a comprehensive test. It may have been that something you ate had salt in it and you're holding water. I bounce around up and down day to day. If I have pizza, I know I'm going to gain weight the following day. It's a given. I had some pizza with my dinner on Sunday (RM) and I gained 2 lbs. I KNOW it's water weight. It is physically impossible to gain an actual 2 lbs in one day!!!

Also, hey -- you lost a half-pound -- I've been glued at the same weight now for almost two weeks! (Up, down, up down, up, down -- but averaging to the same thing.) I know I haven't been an angel, though, and I'll lose it in my own time.

Congrats on the half-pound. Keep on truckin'! I'm going to.

Jeannie
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 12:08

Default one more thing...

neither one of us have a lot to lose. You're 154, I'm 157. Your goal is 135, mine is 140 -- So...

We are not going to lose this fast. There are no two ways around that. If we had 70, 80 or 100 lbs. to lose, I'd expect to see a much greater difference each time I get on the scale, but the percentage of body fat we're trying to get rid of is far less than some others.

We can't compare our success to those dealing with a much greater battle. I know how you feel, though. We just want to be at our goal SOOOOO bad that it's hard to see only .5 lb.

Also, don't forget to drink lots of water. I hate it, 'cause I get so sick of running to the bathroom. Geeze. If I have to look at my daughter's rubber ducky staring at me from the tub one more time today... But, it really does seem to help. When I don't drink enough water, I always come up short on the loss end.

Your buddy,
Jeannie
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 18:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 228/208/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi all,

This is the first post I've done so guess I'm a newbie.
I tried the zone diet for 21 days mid Aug. and lost ten pounds, but I found it difficult to follow trying to figure out what constituted a "zone block," so i have decided to go on the CALP diet.

My friend who is my age, (55) started following the CALP plan last fall and has lost over 40 lbs. I don't know for sure how restricted she keeps her carbs for her regular meals, but I know for a fact that when we dined out (it was her reward meal) she ate breads, pastas and deserts.

I have been on the plan less than a week and notice how little inclination I have to eat any of the really high carb foods at all now. I definately was a starch addict...pasta..bread..and more bread. Tonight I ate tossed salad, zuccini lasagna and my high carb was 1/2 apple and 5 almonds. I'm hoping this will last.

Anyway, good luck on any plan you choose

Dabearlady
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 11:21
Registered Member

BF:

Jeannie, you're right, we don't have a lot to lose and I know it's harder. Even years ago when I did Weight Watchers--the heavier people would drop 5 or more pounds a week, while I would go down .5 or even .25. Of course, now none of that works for me anymore. You make a good point--water retention. I can feel it in my fingers when I've retained some fluid.

I always drink 2-3 qts of water a day. I have irritable bowel and if I don't drink that much I'm in real trouble. Of course, I'm in the bathroom every 1/2 hour or so, but that's life.

Dabearlady...I don't care about the high-carbs foods too much, either. The hardest part for me is estimating the 1/3 that includes wine, any high-carb foods, dessert, bread, breading, sauces with flour or cornstarch. I think I'm doing a pretty good job of it, but when something is a different shape and not on the same plate??

Yesterday and today both 155, but I figure that's good news.

I really get a lot out of everyone's comments. I've never been in a Chat Room or even used a website like this where we can reply back and forth. It's really helpful.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 19:06
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Don't obsess too much about 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. Just try to be moderate and reasonable. That rule is so you won't "carbo-graze and binge on carbs at the reward meal.

Also eat enough when you get hungry. After a while, your hunger tends to go away.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 15:09
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Zulieka. Thanks for the input. I really do worry about the 1/3 carb. I really should give up wine, but I really like having my glass each dinnertime. Other than that, I keep my high carb pretty low and only infrequently have dessert--and that's usually about 1/2 cup low sugar/low fat ice cream. I often have a small low carb snack (usually protein) during the afternoon because I just get too hungry. I've also increased my portions at mealtime and that's helped.

Last week I went on a cruise and was totally unsuccessful at maintaining low carb. Oh, well. I started back faithfully on Monday and have dropped a few of those pounds so far (probably water). But next week I have to go to a conference for work and will not have too much control over what I eat. I'll try to be good, though. It should be a lot easier than on the cruise!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 16:03
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Remember, your reward meal can be moved to another time of the day if necessary. Have your reward meal at the conference and enjoy. Also carry some allowed snacks with you or some nuts so you'll have something "legal" at the coffee breaks. Plan in advance and you'll find the program flexible.