Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 20:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 172/170/140
BF:34/34/20
Progress: 6%
Smile Pork rinds???

Help, I just bought pork rinds for the first time and I dont think they taste that good. What do you dip them with or other uses for them?? Please help. Thanks Jewles
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 21:42

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hey Jewles, I buy mine in flavours, like BBQ. Those are pretty good. But the plain I use like crackers with stuff like tuna or cheese dip. Try stuff and have fun doing it, it gets better.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 13:08

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

I eat the Hot & Spicey, Sweet & Tangy pork rinds and use them for breading and stuffing.

I also love pouring melted butter of them and sprinkling them with cinnamon and splenda. Only make what you'll eat cause they'll go real STALE if you try to keep them.

I am going to try coating them in oil and seasoning them with cajun spices.

You're only limited by imagination!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 18:27

Stats: 172/170/140
BF:34/34/20
Progress: 6%

Thanks Guys I will have to try what you said. thanks
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/183/135
BF:n/a
Progress: 13%
Smile

Hi I'm not big on pork rinds either. But last night I ran across this while surfing for low card recipes. I havent tried it yet.
Cinnamon/Sweet pork rinds
Dip plain pork rinds in melted butter place on cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda on 350 for 3 to 4 min.
Eat hot or cold.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 11:20

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

I eat those splenda/cinn pork rinds when I want something sweet. I don't bake them tho. I tried it and it made them hard. I prefer them crispy and light!

YUM YUM
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 09:56
Registered Member

Stats: 289/277/155
BF:
Progress: 9%
Talking

I went to Louisiana recently and found these wonderful Salt & Vinegar Skins! Oh they are so wonderful.......Can't wait to go back and get some more!! Wonderful with tuna salad or chicken salad....makes me hungry thinking about them...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 18:30

Plan: Atkins web site
Stats: 138/128/124
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Pork Rinds

I LOVE "Pork Rind French Toast" - you can find the recipe on this forum. [I use maple extract instead of vanilla and add just a smidge of baking soda]

The recipe involves grinding the rinds down to almost the texture of flour, then you make a batter and fry them just like pancakes.

When you eat these pancakes, you really can't tell that they are not made from flour. My husband was appalled by the idea, and when he tasted them, he thought they tasted no different.

This got me thinking........what else could you use these ground pork rinds for? I used to make deep-fried things using pancake batter, so...

meatballs
meat loaf
fried chicken
chicken fingers
deep-fried mushrooms
deep-fried chile rellenos
muffins or other 'bread' products? Time to experiment
any bread crumb replacement
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 08:06

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 192/167/145 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 53%

I use them to coat salmon and crab cakes with... even my dad ate them with no complaints!

I'm going to try to use them as a topping for broccoli casserole.... normally the recipe calls for ritz crackers on top... I'll post the recipe if it turns out!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 19:34
Registered Member

Stats: 215/177.5/165
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've always thought pork rinds were pretty nasty but I'm thinking of trying them as a filler for meatloaf. How bout you try first and let me know.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 09:38

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Cool

YUMMY!! I love the Salt and Vinegar ones!!

I use the plain ones for all sorts of fillers. But the best is using them as a coating for Buffalo Fingers!! When you crush them and use them as a batter for chicken, then deep fry them they get nice and crunchy!!

I also, crish them up fine, and mix them into a batter of eggs, a splash of cream, vanilla, splenda and cinnamon, then fry them like pancakes, they taste JUST like french toast!! SO YUMMY!! You'd never know they are rinds!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 09:51
Registered Member

Stats: 215/177.5/165
BF:
Progress: 75%
Thumbs up

hmmm, now that sounds pretty good UAgirl. I love hotwings and only put hotsauce on them, but I think I'll take a deep breath and try them with the rinds next time. You're making me hunrgy.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 16:57

Stats: 237/237/190
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Pork Rinds???

Just read a post from another board and a poster was in a stall for about 2 months. He couldn't figure out why and went through all of the things he ate very carefully. He found that the pork rinds he was eating almost daily, has BROWN SUGAR and CORN SYRUP. Just a heads up......

Bill
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 15:11

Plan: protien power
Stats: 260/260/170
BF:
Progress: 0%

somehow i can't get past the high saturated fat content in pork rinds... i know that fat doesn't really count... but that's what's keeping me from buying a bag... really dumb, eh? LOL Plus, I can't find a bag small enough. What if I don't like em? Ahhh I'm a basket case.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts then Atkins now trying Somersizing
Stats: 122/118/110
BF:Dont know
Progress: 33%

I agree Im just getting started with all this stuff and its hard to stop worrying about fat content. I do like the pork rinds though because they have a light and flaky consistancy which is similar to the carbs that I like to eat. Its like tricking myself that Im cheating. Basically I just try not to go over a serving and a half so its not so much fat, and not more than once in a day.

All your ideas for using pork rinds kind of horrified me at first LOL but I think I might try that pankcake recipe. Thanks!

Stargrrl