Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/148/135 Female 5 ft. 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Who drinks protein shakes??

I know they aren't recommeded by the Hellers, but have any of you introduced protein shakes (low carb/low sugar like Designer Whey) into your diet? It's so much easier in the mornings for me to make a shake and I'm not looking forward to eating eggs every day. Again, I know they aren't recommended, I just want to know if anyone drinks them occasionally and still has success on CALP.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 23:13

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I don't drink them now (on CAD) but let me tell you my experience with Curves. I did the Curves diet for a while--it's basically low-carb but you can eat 20 grams of carbs a day, plus certain approved vegetables, and one protein shake a day. That's about the amount of carbs total that you're talking about here, I think. I definitely lost on Curves!!! (The only reason I fell down on Curves was that the carbs were interspersed throughout the day and after two weeks I was supposed to up my carbs...the instant I did that, my body went crazy.)

There's a book about it--you might find reviews for it on Amazon. But anyway, with the protein shake, I did lose weight. I used to love those shakes.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-05, 23:37

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I have used the exact brand for a long time. However, I have to tell you that now I finally realize why I am always so hungry after consuming them. The sugar in them gives me an instant sugar high and my body thinks I am consuming straight sugar, in order to counteract that I add more protein to the shake in the form of nonfat cottage cheese and a little oatmeal...but most of the time just cottage cheese. I know they aren't recommended on PP, but it is hard for me to get in all that protein... I usually have it as a snack after lunch to get me through until dinner...a time when I get the hungriest... Also, they do give me gas and so I try to drink lots of water after I drink the shake... I haven't figured out how to get around the gas...

Since introducing Fiber One in the AM, it takes me safely until lunch...sometimes I snack on 1/2 apple and walnuts though...

Hope this helps you...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 06:21
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I try to use them only in an emergency or when traveling. I notice I don't lose when I use them on CAD.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 06:54
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I have never used them, and have done fine. I have had one protein/LC bar in the time on this WOL- an emergency when I had nothing to eat and was at an all day meeting- and I felt awful after. Just queasy. I think the sugar alcohols just don't agree with me.
I know a lot of people use the shakes on other plans, but they are really idscouraged on this one.
I like my eggs in the am. If you are in a rush and still want eggs, three ideas are to have hard boiled already made in the fridge, nuke em in the micro, or have one of the CM quiche things already made in the fridge and have it hot or cold.
Good luck-
E
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 08:18

Plan: CAD and 12 DD (Mayo)
Stats: 223/206/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I use them occasionally as well, but I use EAS Advent Edge. The carb count is lower than most of the others I have found. But I also notice I get hungrier and don't lose. (I do usually maintain.) HTH!