Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 08:27

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Good Morning,

Not much new with me. DH found a ham on sale and that really does a number on me. I retain so much water from all the sodium, but he could not resist buying it. It was on sale for $.79 a lb. It was too hard to resist. I will just drink lots of water. The water retention won't stick with me too long. I am being faithful with my treadmill also.

Anleigh, Not too sure why you are not sleeping. I do remember when I first started CAD that I did have the same problem. I don't know why that is, but it didn't last all that long. Now I sleep better than ever. Maybe it is your body adjusting.

As far as your weight not dropping. Remember, you don't have hardly anything to lose and maybe you are as low as your should be and your body doesn't want to get any lower, but that is up to you. Maybe keep trying and you will see the scale go down, but it is going to be very slow. Hang in there.

I know, people that do Atkins do not have a clue what CAD is all about. All they see is the RM and what we eat and they can't understand how it could possibly work. Of course CAD is not for everyone, just like Atkins is not for everyone. We just need to find what works for us.

Momto4boys, Don't worry, once TOM has come and gone you will see the scale go down. I know it gets so frustrating. Hang in there.

Everyone have a great day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 09:58

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I agree...

I have found that CAD is either misunderstood or discredited as a low carb program in some of the forums. I generally don't post in the Atkins forum, although I read it a lot, but I often do in the General Low Carb and the Triple Digits forums. Those forums have a lot of atkins people but they are not specifically for Atkins, so I think it is important to get the word out about CAD when it is appropriate to the thread. When I hear someone lamenting in the triple digits forum, for instance, about how they can't resist all the cravings and they are on Atkins, I will often post about how CAD has removed those cravings for me.

Doing ok here today
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 15:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Grrr, and we wonder why CADers aren't very well recieved, look what I found on the Atkins site:

"How is Atkins different from the Carbohydrate Addict's diet?

The Carbohydrate Addict's diet allows people to consume an indefinite amount of carbohydrates within a one-hour period after a high-protein meal. This tactic is in direct opposition to the Atkins philosophy of overall carbohydrate control. In fact, it could be considered similar to allowing an alcoholic to consume all the liquor he desired for a brief period each day. Such an approach does not correct addictive behavior, and in the case of carbohydrates, can trigger binge eating, elevated insulin levels and weight gain. "

An indefinite amount my butt, that's the crap they read, no wonder some people think the way they do. Though you never know when this was written, probably not by Dr. Atkins, probably by Atkins Nutritionals.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 20:05

BF:

We know better, do't we? . If these same people would take the time to read the book and try the diet they might feel a lot different. This is such a livable plan but you do need to use a little common sense. I have know people who have tried this and went totally off because they had severe cravings, because they didn't use any common sense and treated the RM as one big carb feast and as we know, this is not what the Heller's intended at all. I eat healthier now than I have ever eaten in my life.

All I can say is, "There loss, our gain".
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 01:01

Plan: Atkins but starting CALP
Stats: 209/153/138 Female 1.68m
BF:
Progress: 79%
Smile

Hi everybody,
Well day six and the scales seem to be going in the right direction. More than that I actually feel happier, and I don't think it's due to the weight loss because I am trying not to get too excited until tomorrow when I average out the 7 days and even then according to Heller I have to wait another week and have another average weight to see how it's going. I've had a couple of hungry days but I had a very small lowcarb snack and that kept me going.
I have to have my RM at lunch, is anyone else doing that? For instance, yesterday I went to the Holocaust Memorial Day lecture at the University of Sussex from 2pm-5pm then from 6pm-8.30pm (which was really interesting if v. emotional)then I had to go to my creative writing lesson (at the same Uni.) so there wasn't any time to eat. Just time for a quick cup of coffee. Next week I'm going to Tate Britain with a friend whose doing a part-time degree so I'll have to eat in the restaurant at lunch time. I find that having that RM is brilliant. It is much more difficult to follow Atkins in those situations.
Talking About Atkins. It's weird but if you think of all the bad, misinformed press that Atkins has had and how everyone screamed (including me) 'You haven't read the book you cretin!'. You'd think they wouldn't condem outher eating plans out of hand Their loss.
One question. The Hellers do not mention hearbal teas e.g. peppermint, nettle, roiboss etc. Does anyone know if we can have them?
Well done everybody on doing so well this week.
Just one more thought: It is quite normal to have a stall when one gets nearer to goal weight it doesn't mean that it's not working. Concentrate on how well you're feeling and that the cravings have gone. Good luck or as we Italians say 'in bocca al lupo'!!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 05:03

Plan: CAD
Stats: 250/245/200 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Fosca, I too feel some much better when I am on plan. I feel more alert, have more energy.. a total change from the person I used to be.

It is -17 C this morning so I am bundled up planning my summer flowers. I can't wait for Spring. Doing good on plan, when I get down I start reading my book for inspiration.

Hope everyone has a good day

Susan
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 08:41

BF:

Good Morning,

Nothing really new to report. Sticking with plan with no problem and same goes for the exercise.

Fosca, Congrats on the loss. I know you can't average as of yet, but you know if you have lost weight and it sounds like you have. Isn't it great that you can switch your RM to what suits you best. I almost always have mine for my dinner, but I did switch out last Sat to go to lunch with a friend. I still like to keep it for my dinner. That works best for me. As for the herbal teas. Boy, that is a tough one. If you have one that is from fruit, I would think you might have cravings and if I remember correctly, they tell you not too. I am not too sure about the peppermint. I know Green Tea is OK. I guess it is more or less YMMV type thing. If you have some and find you start craving, or your weight stalls, then you know to stay away from it.

Have a great day.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 09:07
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Peppermint seems fine. It doesn't give me cravings.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 11:32

Plan: Atkins but starting CALP
Stats: 209/153/138 Female 1.68m
BF:
Progress: 79%
Smile

Thanks for your help everone. I like having a peppermint tea after a meal so I'll give it a try. I had a small serving of rice with a lamb curry I made for my RM and I didn't get sleepy at 4pm. I really enjoyed it. I started off with a salad, had steamed cauliflower with the curry and finished off with rhubarb and ricotta sweetened with Splenda. I tried not to feel guilty and I haven't had cravings all afternoon. Bye for now
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 13:37

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Today seems to be the first day I've not been real hungry. Am I correct that protein and lowcarb veggies are the best for CM's? My two weeks will soon be up and so far I've not had a snack outside my CM's or RM. If I could just get away from the habit of having a dessert for my RM every night I think I would do even better. So far, I've had no desire for any starchy foods, just sugar I'm hoping to start eating lowcarb yogurt and maybe some lowcarb candy instead part of the time. Might even eat a piece of lowcarb cheesecake, but then I think I might as well be doing Atkins if I'm not going to endulge during my RM. I guess that is what keeps us going; looking forward to that RM especially in the beginning. Thanks for all your support.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 14:53
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Watch the lc sweets. Some of us here actually do better with REAL sugar vs artificial sweeteners (AS).

I've found that sugar actually has less of or negligible impact on my weight than starch.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 15:49

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi, I'm a newbie to CALP and a newbie to your support group. May I join in please?
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 19:34

Stats: 250/245/200 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Sure Sue...Welcome

Jump right in and join us.

Susan
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 19:48

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Welcome Sue!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 22:42

Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I am back following the plan...starting tomorrow. I had success on FF Plan 3bl loss!!! but I need to do the CAD now to get my mental frame of mind adjusted...(I was becoming obsessed!) I need the flexiblity of CAD.

I learned some things that I think will help me take more of the weight off and make healthier choices on CAD.

Nice to see some many doing well! I am looking forward to a week on CAD to see what it brings!

Have a great weekend!