Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 20:30

Plan: CAD
Stats: 110/110/100 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default CAD/CALP Thursday 27/05/04 Daily Support

Hiya GOOD MORNING everyone!!

Dinner didnt go well as planned cos im famished after my workout.. 40 minutes of cycling and im sweating like a pig.. im sooo hungry that i took 2 biscuits with a chicken steak even though thats not my RM.. I figured it was ok since i was starved.

im back on track today.. seeing how well all of you are coping sort of motivates me.. how can i allow myself to slide?! i'll let you guys down!

Is it snoozing time at your end? Sleep tight then!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/125 Female 5'3
BF:

good morning all, i am really gonna try to make it here everyday, there are to many posts to catch up with. i did great yesterday and even excercised. my weights this week so far are tues, 196 wed 195 and today 190. i had my reward meal real early yesterday, wasnt balanced and i didnt even go to bed hungry. i cant worry about the balanced part of it yet. i am just sticking to the rules. of no snacking in between and protien and veggies for breakfast and lunch. i almost wanted to quit again yesterday after watching my daughter eat an ice cream sandwhich and making my husband 2 bLT sandwhiches after i was done eating for the day, but boy this morning am i glad i didnt. ya know after ya get through the"it is not fair" i want to eat like a normal person and "i am going to eat my carbs and lose weight" to prove to everyone that you can lose weight without all this lowcarb stuff , then you can begin to stick to the program you know you have to follow. i guess i just didnt want to believe it or didnt trust it, but when i follow cad to a tee, i feel better and i know it will work. i cant ever go off it again. maybe my head is just in the right place right now. just fight the urges of wanting to eat stuff you shouldnt, and the next day you will be glad you did. cause really i wasnt hungry, i just wanted to eat. that is what i always did, ate when not even hungry. but on cad, i really am full and satisfied and it really helps you turn down food when you know you are really not hungry. i hope everyone is having a great day and i hope i can stay in this mode, i have too!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Good morning! Obscure daily weight fluctuations continue. Today I am at 148.5, two pounds less than yesterday. This has been the most frustrating aspect of CAD, trying to figure out the why's of ups and downs. Thanks to those who suggested averaging my weekly weigh-ins to get the overall trend. I remember reading that in the book, but it didn't seem like something I would need to do at the time, probably b/c my weight had never fluctuated much on Protein Power. It still seems a bit strange, though, that I would be all over the place on the scale with this plan. I'm fine so long as I do not see the 150 on the scale, but when I do, I am sooo ready to just scrap things and go back to what I was doing before.

Shepherd-Where do you live? You posted today's thread pretty early last night, and I am in the Eastern Time Zone. I wonder if maybe your intense post-workout hunger is a sign that you need to up your protein intake during the day?

Willbthin-Congrats on resisting the temptation yesterday! That's a major accomplishment. It's so hard not to feel sorry for yourself sometimes while on a restricted eating plan. But you've got the right mindset. The rewards for sticking it through are what we need to keep our thoughts on. Great job!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 07:32

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Good Morning Ladies,

Welll I was down 1/4 lb this a.m. I am back to where I was last Sunday. If I can see a loss here in the next day or 2 I will be satisfied. I did have a good day on plan yesterday. My RM was pretty balanced and all I had for dessert was cantalope.

Shep, Just curious are you eating enough at your CM's to get you through until your RM? Maybe you are not eating enough, and that is why you were so starved. Of course doing a work out like that, would have made anybody hungry. You said the steak biscuits were not your RM. Maybe do some planning and when you get done with your workout, have a CM of protein and veggies and wait for the carb stuff for your RM. Or another thing you could have done was went ahead and just had that as your RM, and at what would normally be your RM, just have protein and veggies. Don't worry, you will get this figured out and find out what works for you.

Wilbethin; Wonderful on the loss. Seeing a loss like that will definitely keep you straight. What a good motivator. Even on CAD, it is sometimes difficult to watch others eat what they want. I know I go through the same thing with my DH almost nightly. He eats everything after dinner. It is one big carb feast for him. He should not be eating it, but he does, and sometimes he will even ask me to make it for him. Geeze, why doesn't he just shoot me and put me out of misery.

Wendy, I know it is hard to watch the scale flucuate. I don't understand why it bounces around so much either on CAD. The only thing I can think of why it does that is because we have a free RM. I mean it is suppose to be balanced and all, but you can really eat a lot of sodium if you include high sodium products at your RM. That is bound it make the scale go up the next morning. This is just a guess of course. I like the averaging part of CAD and I have always done it.

BTW Shepherd lives in Singapore and that is why she posts when we are all getting ready to go to bed. She is just starting her day.

Everyone have a great CAD day.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 09:11
Registered Member

Stats: 188/187.5/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

I really appreciate having this check in to come to everyday.
The scale did not move today but that's okay (for now). I'm finally realizing that the RM's are when I can eat good carbs and fruit etc and not an excuse to blow it with ice cream and cookies.
But I am really liking this program and I can see it easily being a WOE.
My only problem is that I eat dinner at 4pm (I go to work at 5pm) and I get home from work at 8:30pm starving. Since I am in the first 2 weeks of CAD I'm not supposed to be having snacks...but I just can't go to bed so hungry so I end up having turkey bacon or a turkey hot dog. Maybe I should just wait and have dinner at 8:30pm??? Maybe I will try that approach today and see if it helps my hunger.
Have a great day!

Amy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 10:41

Stats: 263/253/195 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 15%

Can I come and play?

Awsome idea to start this. I was getting a little discouraged checking in this area and not finding many new posts.

Just a bit of info on myself: I recently switched back to CAD from atkins when hubby gave me the strangest look as I dished him up some "faux" potatoes one night...I have 3 kids, 17;14;7, I'm a girl scout leader; I try to work out at least 4 times a week at curves; I'm not sure if my stats listed here are correct anymore since I'm afraid to get on the scale. However I've had another causualty of war this week--a shirt that I REALLY liked. (I couldn't wear it 'cause it was TOO BIG!) So I know the scale is going down....

I know I should be wieghing everyday to get an average, but in my mind, it's a bit obsessive....and for me being obsessive is what got me to this wieght in the first place.

Up until the last 7 years, never really had a wieght problem. But a combination of life events helped pack it on. (I'm an emotional eater....) Had a doctor giving me alergy shots which contained steriods--I was too dumb to question him; quit smoking (I was up to 4-5 packs a day....) While I was quitting smoking, my mother was dying of cancer; and got over the age of 40....You'd better believe it when they say your metabolism slows!! Used to be I could drop wieght without even trying!

Again, I'm so glad this was started!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 10:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

Ok, bad day yesterday, I just don't see why I am doing this, why do I care? Everyone around me smokes and eats whatever they want. Besides this board I am lonely out here. I keep asking myself why am I doing this, why am I the only one that has to care. No one else around me cares about their health, why oh why should I. I have to get back to work but I really want a cig. and a candy bar.

For those that switched to CAD and gained, How do you get over the initial gain? What do you tell yourself?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 11:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Adukart-I totally feel you!!!! It's so hard to be the only one who seems to care about their health. I noticed that you seem to be fairly young like me, and it is indeed unfair that so many others around us can do whatever they want and not SEEM to have any negative responses to it. The thing that I keep telling myself is that it WILL catch up to them. Sure, maybe they can smoke and eat all the junk they want right now, but years down the road, they will be fat and having lung problems, and you will be skinny and in excellent health. I believe it is a struggle all of us get to eventually, just some of us a little sooner. Also, I looked at your profile and saw that you are 5'5". Your weight is very healthy for that height. So it makes total sense that you are not going to see the huge whooshes that those will with much more to lose. I do totally understand your pain though. There are so many days where I question why I have to be the good one, why I feel like I am so alone in my struggles. That is why I was soooo excited to see that others wanted to start a daily thread for CAD. There seem to be quite a bunch of people now following Atkins-like programs and lots of support for them, but CAD has its own issues that only other CAD-ers can truly understand. So, feel free to vent it all out here. We're here for you.

Nutcase-Welcome! I'm so glad you decided to join us. Where do you live in Ohio? I live NW of Columbus, in a city called Dublin.

All4Morgan-When do you eat your other CM's? If you are hungry after work, then something should be switched up somehow. I tend to eat my finally meal, my RM at around 4 pm, which easily holds me till breakfast the next day at 6 am. But I also don't have to go to work after dinner, and might eat a bit lighter if I did. Let us know how your experiment goes.

Diane-Congrats on the loss! Thanks for the thought of maybe sodium causing fluctuations. On Protein Power, I never concerned myself with sodium. Actually, I always added it quite liberally to my foods, to help me retain some of the water I took in, as weird as it might sound. I rarely eat processed foods, but I am sure that sodium is one of the major reasons why many people have such troubles with them.

I gotta run now, but hope you all have a great rest of the day!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 11:45
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hello!
Just spent my whole lunch-with-a-friend talking about CAD/CALP. She has been on Atkins for more than a year, and lost 30lbs and now has gained some back. She does eat a lot of the LC "frankenfoods", and was fascinated that I don't eat any of those foods. Why eat that stuff when you can have the real thing, and the fake thing is not good for you? Anyway, she asked lots and lots of questions and wants to read the book. I told her this had worked for me, but it is a very personal issue.

Something I read on this forum that really helped me was that if I really wanted something to eat that was off-plan, all I had to say to myself was "I can have it at my RM" and knowing that the next RM was at most 23 hours away helped lots. Sometimes I had it for my RM, sometimes I no longer wanted it.
Take care-
E
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:28

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking Good afternoon, everybody!

Hope everyone's enjoying life today--sun is shining in my neck of the woods, not too much humidity in the air and--best of all--I'll be leaving tomorrow with DH for a three-day Memorial Day weekend!

Welcome, Nutcase! You will find many rewards with the CAD/CALP WOE. It runs the gamut: from unbelievably indulgent yet effective, richly satisfying, and downright fun--on the one hand--to instructive (teaches patience, humility, commonsense practices, and faith), frustrating on occasion (when the scale doesn't move fast enough ), and character building--on the other hand! Quite an experience!

All4Morgan: Which meal is the 4PM? Is it your RM? If so, as an experiment, is there any way that for one week, say, you can make lunch your RM and have the 4PM meal be a CM with a satisfying amount of protein and fat along with the CM veggies? It's just a theory (hunch?) of mine--not borne out by the Hellers or anyone--that you might be less hungry by 8PM if at 4PM you were to have very little that might affect your insulin (hunger) levels. Everyone is different, of course, so I'm sure many people can have a good RM at 4PM and not be hungry for the rest of the night. But maybe you're not one of them. On the other hand, if your 4PM meal is already a CM, maybe you just need to add more protein and fat to satisfy you throughout the evening...?

Have a terrific holiday, everyone!!

Best, Sona
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:41

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Weclome Nutcase, I am glad that you joined us. I think you will really like thie WOE. I know weighing everyday can become obssesive, so no reason you had to do that if you don't want to. Post often

Amy, Personally if you are hungry when you get home from work, I think you should go ahead and have that snack. Make it some protein and veggies. I think you will be fine. I eat everynight at 5, and have never had the urge to snack because I usually am not hungry, but I am not just coming home from work either and that makes a big difference. I would not change your RM to 8:30. That is too late to have that kind of dinner. Maybe later on when you get use to this plan, you won't want to snack when you get home, but if you do than that is alright too. I think the rule of thumb is to eat no more thant 4 times per day.

I am on my lunch break and need to run back to work.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

Thank you Wendy. I am over it now I believe. I don't know what happened but what you said is right. I need to think about what my future will be like, I am 24 and still plan to start a family after I get married in July 05. I need to think about being here for my family and not having them take care of me because my health was bad. I am going to start lifting weights to get some muscle tone and I really don't care what I weigh as long as I look good so my goal weight will probably change to 130 (muscle that is) anyway.

Amy, you should give us your whole day schedule (when you work, wake, eat, sleep) so we can give you some ideas for a plan.

I agree with everyone, this thread was a great idea. I probably wouldn't of gotten any support today (probably even cheated) if this wasn't here. I am glad to see others doing good and getting questions answered.

Sona, have fun on vacation.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 13:15

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hello

I am just popping in to say hello, not much time since I am at work. I am having a busy, stressful day today but I feel fine about it. Being at peace with my eating helps me stay a lot more centred.

I am meeting my three sisters for dinner tonight, something we do once a month, and I really look forward to it. It is so nice being able to have a 'normal' meal when I am out. And the talk just flies around the table!

I'll see you all tomorrow.
Tracy