Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 02:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/180/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Unhappy Feeling depressed

I am struggling hard to stay on Induction. With no support at home, I easily fail when everyone else eats whatever they want... pizza, ice cream, breads, pasta, etc.

I dabbed in Ben & Jerrys ice cream 3 times the past week, gaining back 3 lbs I recently lost and, now, I am disgusted with myself - on the verge of tears.

Sorry to post such depressing news of my situation. I just feel so alone sometimes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 03:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You have found an on-line community of support right here. Let us know what type of help will keep you from that pint of ice cream? There are daily accountability Buddy groups? Or maybe join a challenge of x goal in x time. On-line here or maybe find one in your community? No support from your family? Maybe even sabotage .... that issue comes up often too. Found one thread http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476314 but family support or lack thereof is often in journals or success stories, maybe ask that question again to see what worked for others?

Here is an older thread about helping people Change Habits by first deciding what tendency they have. Would abstaining completely be a method that works for you?...or better to allow yourself a small amount once a week? Many good tips about Diet from Gretchen Rubin, how to change habits for good. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195 http://www.gretchenrubin.com/wp-con...ng_onesheet.pdf

I am blessed to live in a community with amazing in person support. One woman I met through a local group has gone on to be a voice for the Ketogenic lifestyle, and focuses her articles published at DietDoctor on various psychological aspects of changing diet habits, commitment, etc.
Her "failure story" has inspired many. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470795

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, May-22-18 at 02:45.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-22-18, 03:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/180/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Janet, yes.... this community online is wonderful. It has become my support system, even though the influences around me here at home are constantly distracting. And there is zero support outside of my house. I live in an extremely rural area.

I haven't read many success stories here that pertain to what I'm going through but I'll keep searching. My husband is the problem. He wants pizza and other fattening foods on a regular basis so it's hard cooking two separate meals. I am destined to make my own meals ahead of time and freeze them if I must. I don't see any other alternative.

Thank you for sharing the links. I will definitely check them out. I'm very interested in reading up on the Ketogenic lifestyle.

Again, many thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
You have found an on-line community of support right here. Let us know what type of help will keep you from that pint of ice cream? There are daily accountability Buddy groups? Or maybe join a challenge of x goal in x time. On-line here or maybe find one in your community? No support from your family? Maybe even sabotage .... that issue comes up often too. Found one thread http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476314 but family support or lack thereof is often in journals or success stories, maybe ask that question again to see what worked for others?

Here is an older thread about helping people Change Habits by first deciding what tendency they have. Would abstaining completely be a method that works for you?...or better to allow yourself a small amount once a week? Many good tips about Diet from Gretchen Rubin, how to change habits for good. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195 http://www.gretchenrubin.com/wp-con...ng_onesheet.pdf

I am blessed to live in a community with amazing in person support. One woman I met through a local group has gone on to be a voice for the Ketogenic lifestyle, and focuses her articles published at DietDoctor on various psychological aspects of changing diet habits, commitment, etc.
Her "failure story" has inspired many. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470795
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-22-18, 04:22

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/169/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

My husband eats very differently from me and most people don’t understand my willpower. We were talking about this just the other night. I can stop at Pizza Hut and pick up a pizza for him and drive home with that smell in my car and not eat it. He has a bag of 100 Grand mini bars on his bedside table all the time and I don’t touch them. He keeps a loaf of bread on the counter for sandwiches, waffles and ice cream in the freezer and last night I cooked biscuits for him to have with his dinner. He spread raspberry jam on them. How do I do this?

My sister, who is ten years older than me has been on kidney dialysis for about three years now. She has sores on her feet that won’t heal. She’s had stents put in both legs, more than once, to try to get better circulation. She falls all the time because she can’t feel her feet. Last time, a few weeks ago, she was in the ICU because she had a brain bleed from hitting her head so hard on the concrete. These are just a very few of her problems directly related to the food she’s put in her mouth with some genetics thrown in.

This was going to be me if I didn’t do something to control my sugar other than continue to up the medicine to treat the symptoms and keep eating the Standard American Diet. I don’t know if eating low carb will completely protect me from all these things, but I’ve been able to get off two of my diabetes medicines completely and reduce the last one by half. And I feel great! When others want a nap after lunch at work, I’m ready to work. I don’t have that afternoon slump from carbage.

It’s been a struggle. My favorite foods were carbohydrates. I had to decide my life was worth more than a fried shrimp poboy!

You can do this! Is it hard? Yes! Will you be tempted everyday at every meal? Maybe! You have to decide your health is worth it. Nobody controls what goes inside of you, but you.

Keeping a journal here has helped me. When I’m not journaling about what I’m eating, I don’t feel an accountability. I need this for me. You may need a different way of accountability. Find what works for you. You are worth it!

Last edited by doobugsara : Tue, May-22-18 at 06:19. Reason: Typos
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-22-18, 05:29

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I came here when I started on Atkins Induction. A few times it was touch and go, I can't deny it. People here helped me through, even though they didn't know it at the time. Hang in there! Just the fact that you are here speaks volumes to your way of thinking. You don't know how far ahead you are.

#6   ^
Old Tue, May-22-18, 05:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sarah is one of those wonderful ladies who supports and inspires me locally!!
All great advice. Hi Neighbor

Do you like to cook? Many of us with thin, carb loving spouses, make a basic protein meal, salad and then add potatoes/rice/bread ... so we are not making two meals.

Would alternate foods like Keto ice cream help? Kristie's FB Page linked above is helpful for those type recipes and support.
155,000 members can’t be wrong.

She has a new KeDough pizza recipe that after baking freezes well! Keep individual pizza bases in the freezer; by the time the delivery order arrives for husband, your Keto Pizza can be done. https://www.dietdoctor.com/free-vid...za-with-kristie

Substitutes like that work for some, and admittedly take a bit of time and forward planning. But some may progress straight from the Keto alternative food into a gallon ice cream tub. Again that goes back to knowing your "tendency"

Short answer how to deal with unsupportive family members.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/deal-uns...-family-members

And not-so-helpful friends.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/handle-not-helpful-friends

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, May-22-18 at 15:21.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-22-18, 08:12

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am lucky that I live alone so don't have the problem of someone in the house eating foods that I don't eat. That said the ability to stick with a low carb way of eating depends on what you tell yourself. If you tell yourself that your health is a priority and that you will not eat anything that jeopardizes it then it doesn't matter what foods are in your house or what your husband eats. You are in control of what you eat, your choices and your responsibility. You might not find someone here who is in the exact same circumstances as you are but everyone here who has been successful has had to battle their demons and figured out a way to make it work. I tell myself how lucky I am to have found a way to eat that has allowed me to regain my health. I also tell myself that all those so-called treats are really just poison for my system so I don't eat them. I've sat at many tables and watched everyone else eat birthday cake and ice cream and I drink a cup of coffee. I ran a 90th birthday party for my mother and only ate the food I brought with me, not the food that the rest of the guests all ate. It has to become more important to you than any food or any occasion regardless of whether anyone else supports you or not. You have to be your biggest support.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-22-18, 23:47
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
When others want a nap after lunch at work, I’m ready to work. I don’t have that afternoon slump from carbage.
Sarah knows, obviously

No worries, we here look long term and ignore minor slip-ups. The liver can store 3 pounds of glycogen 1/3 of that is water. That's 8 bagels or 40 slices of bread! You can shed that in two or three days or 12 hours racing mountains in the Tour de France -- LOL

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, May-22-18 at 23:52.