Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 07:54

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%
Talking A chicken recipe that I love!!!

This is another recipe from allrecipes.com that I absolutely love. ( http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Simple...ken/Detail.aspx )

Simple Whole Roasted Chicken
SUBMITTED BY: INDRIANI

"The combination of unique ingredients make this chicken dish delicious. It roasts beautifully and is surprisingly fast once it's in the oven. I serve this with the Chimichurri Sauce I found on Allrecipes, and I can't get enough! Plus the leftovers are fantastic for sandwiches, salads, and Mexican dishes."
Original recipe yield: 6 servings

PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 1 Hr
READY IN 1 Day 1 Hr 35 Min

INGREDIENTS
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (4 pound) whole chicken
5 cloves garlic, crushed

DIRECTIONS
1. In a bowl, mix the salt, sugar, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Rub the chicken with the mixture. Cover chicken, and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
3. Stuff the chicken cavity with the garlic. Place the chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a roasting pan.
4. Roast 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), and continue roasting 15 minutes. Baste chicken with pan drippings, reduce heat to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), and continue roasting 30 minutes, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let stand 20 minutes before serving.

Obviously I substitute the sugar with splenda (or whatever sweetener you prefer).

I also tend to substitute the crushed garlic with garlic powder or salt (and add it to the rub instead) since I like to make up a large quantity of the rub and store it in a container for quick use. (It tastes good both ways.)

Oh, and I'm kinda lazy so I like to rub this into fresh chicken (or pieces) before I freeze it so I just need to move it from the freezer to the fridge the night before and then cook it.

Another thing I like to do is roast this on a beer can filled with water at a lower heat for a longer time. (People who eat it and like beer say it would taste good with beer but I hate beer so I'll leave it up to other people to experiment with.) When we have company I like to make on of these chickens and then one of the Roast Sticky Chickens.

So, yeah, I love the flavor of this chicken and have found the recipe to be very versatile. I hope others enjoy this as much as we have.

Oh and I forgot to mention that nobody that I've served this to has even asked if it is low carb. They just devour it and rave about how good it is.

Last edited by Amanda1978 : Thu, Nov-09-06 at 08:43.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 09:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/161/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

You know, I was trying to find a recipe for chicken that involved using cinnamon. When I was younger, I used to think that would be disgusting, but now that I am older, the idea of that flavor appeals to me.

The first time I heard about using cinnamon on chicken was on "Little House on the Prairie". Laura was cooking a meal for Almonzo(cinnamon chicken), but she was doing it as a favor to Nellie, because Nellie was supposed to be the one cooking the meal Anyway, Laura sabatoged the whole thing by puttin red pepper(or something like that) in the recipe instead. I remember thinking to myself then "Who would make something called 'cinnamon chilcken' anyway???" I figured it must have been something they liked back in the olden days. LOL

OK, well that was way off topic, but anyway I am going to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing it! And, what is chimmichuri sauce? I am sure I have ever had that?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 10:13

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

I don't know what chimmichuri sauce is either but the chicken is delicious all by itself. In fact I've often thought of making it while nobody else was around so I could just sit there picking at it without sharing.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 17:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/161/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

#5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-06, 18:24

Plan: my own version
Stats: 167.6/13.6/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 410%