Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 04:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Running questions

I just got to the point of starting to exercise with my diet and I started running. I used to run around 25 to 30 miles a week ten years ago and really enjoy it. I've been out two times so far and I'm doing a walking and running routine to get started. Two things I've noticed so far. One, I feel no soreness the next day and really no pain in my legs or joints and two, no runners high. Can someone explain this to me?

I'm still in owl on my diet (25 to 30 grams of carbs a day) and feel like I could actually run on consecutive nights allready. I don't want to run any 10 k's or marathons just a few miles every other day to get leaner. Am I ok with my eating or should I adjust my carbs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Runner's high relates to intensity of exercise. If you're just starting out and not doing enough to have muscle soreness, then there's no reason to expect the runner's high. I train hard every day. Some days I feel the high, some days I don't.

30 grams per day and only running a little every other day suggests you don't need to alter your carb intake. I'd suggest concentrating on losing weight, then consider upping the carb intake if you find you're having problems running. It may just be a matter of eating an apple shortly before the run.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 05:21

BF:

I have been doing my routine for a little over a week now and I'm not sure if its my diet or what but since the last time I've run regularly (over 10 years ago) I notice that my body is recovering faster and no muscle or joint pain. Wonder if low carb and low sugar have anything to do with that. I feel great.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 17:40
Registered Member

BF:

Low carb may be the reason. I found I could run a 50 mile race on low carbs and not be too sore the next day. But running on low carb meant I wasn't able to run as fast as I wanted. So there is a trade-off.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 07:19

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I typically only get runners high for runs 90 minutes and longer

As for the carbs, I kind of "carb up" the day before a long run (which I do once a week). I usually feel no ill effects on the run from doing this. I definitely do feel the lack of carbs during the week, but "difficult" runs are really good training!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 21:14

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

If you are just running for fat loss and fitness, there's no need to increase your carbs if you feel fine. If you eat carbs before your run you may be able to run faster, but you will burn those carbs instead of body fat.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 03:47

BF:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm just running for fitness and maintanance. I feel great after my runs so I'm going to stay where I'm at carb wise.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 13:06

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Since I've reached a maintenance level (on Atkins), I've started running again. About 3 miles twice a week, plus a longer run (an hour) on the weekend. I've run a couple of 5Ks, and signed up for a 10K in October, so I consider myself "in training."

I seem to be doing this comfortably on an average of about 40 net carbs/day. I've added apples to my carb choices, since they are so plentiful and delicious right now.

I'm not looking to lose any more weight--and if I do, I might consider bumping up the carbs a bit with "good" carbs like additional fruits and veggies.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 14:48

BF:

Well what seems to be working out for me is a good run 3 to 4 miles every few days and I feel great afterwards. No soreness or pain at all. Just a little exhaustion. I am in maintenance and feel no need to up my carbs at all for the style of running I do.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-05, 20:03
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

It was interesting to come across this thread right now. I restarted running about 5 months ago and for most of the time I was low-carbing, but not in ketosis. I decided to try to get stricter to lose more and have been in ketosis for about 4 weeks. Immediately I found running harder. My pace slowed way down and all my runs are hard (I don't go really long, generally 30-35 minutes running time, 3-4 times a week). Then I had a cheat day yesterday, and today's run was fantastic! My pace was 10% faster, I felt great, I felt strong and energetic.

I'm glad to see my experience that the running is slower and harder while doing a stricter low-carb is normal and that in the end, it doesn't really matter as far as weight loss and fitness. If I get to the point that I decide to do more 5k or 10k runs, I'll consider carbing up before a race, but for now, I just want to lose more weight!

Val
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 16:34
Registered Member

BF:

That may be the secret to making low-carb eating work with serious exercise. My passion is long distance running. The hallmark workout for me is a weekly long run of 20-30 miles. It could work for me to eat low-carb most of the week but have a weekly cheat day to refill the glycogen stores and follow it with a 4-6 hour run to burn off those carbs.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 04:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
That may be the secret to making low-carb eating work with serious exercise. My passion is long distance running. The hallmark workout for me is a weekly long run of 20-30 miles. It could work for me to eat low-carb most of the week but have a weekly cheat day to refill the glycogen stores and follow it with a 4-6 hour run to burn off those carbs.

I went out to eat and had a cheat day on Saturday and went out on a 4 mile run on Sunday and had energy to burn so I think it will work. I feel better running on a low carb diet than any other diet I've ever been on. My recovery is excellent and no soreness or aches. At least running will cover for any cheats you have.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 08:44

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163.4/154.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Does anyone have some advice for me...I am 5'7" and weigh right around 140. I am 24 years old and am training for a 1/2 marathon the end of September. My long runs are on Sundays and are from 9-12 miles. Throughout the week I generally run 4-5 miles 3 days. Should I keep my carb intake low Sunday thru Friday and Saturday up my carbs for the run Sunday morning? I only want to lose 5-10 pounds more. Please help...
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 10:15
Registered Member

BF:

I might suggest upping the carbs for a full week before the race. You'll put on some weight but it will be mostly from carbs restocking your muscles. The carbs require a lot of fluid which is what adds the weight. After the race you should be back down to 140 as all of the fluid and glycogen should have been used up in the race. I would use quickly absorbed carbs while racing. These carbs keep your blood sugar up which delays muscle and mental fatigue. Gu or Hammergel work quickly without affecting insulin.