Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 16:46

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Natural Hormonal Enhancement book (Faigen)

Is anyone familiar with this book? I am interested in it, but it isn't cheap, so I'd kind of like to get reactions to it from some experienced LC athletes before buying.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 18:23

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I have read all about "natural" hormone replacement and it usually can be enhanced by

Taking adequate amounts of fish oils..5-10 grams a day.

Zinc and magnesium before bed.

Herbs like Avena Sativa(Oats), Tribulus, Muira Puma, Long Jack, Horny Goat Weed(yes that is its real name)

and homeopathic testosterone boosters and gels which don't do bunk IMO.

Take in plenty of protein and fats, don't smoke lots of weed, watch the beer,manage stress...and watch for increased levels of estrogen.

But do some research on the herbs mentioned above and find what works best for you.

Tribulus, with Avena Sativa was always a combo that I saw produce some good results.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 20:09

BF:

Thanks, but I wasn't interested in it for any kind of hormone supplementation, but for his take on exercise and nutrient timing. I'm not looking for a pill but for an exercise and LC diet approach that will maximize HGH.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 07:08
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

It's been discussed in the past at www.bodyrecomposition.com you might want to do a search there and read the responses. They weren't generally favorable...if I recall correctly, they were ragging on Rob's interpretation of the science behind it all, or his questionable science.

Back in '05, there were a few women friends of mine who tried it (can do a search for it at the site in my first signature link), and weren't that impressed with it or the results.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 12:36

BF:

Thanks! That's the kind feedback I was looking for. I'll check out the link.

I am reading everything I can about promoting fat loss while retaining muscle, but most, if not all, of the information seems to apply to young, male athletes. I can't help but wonder how applicable it is to a menopausal non-athlete.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 14:08

Plan: Low carb, high fat
Stats: 188/188/140 Male 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
It's been discussed in the past at www.bodyrecomposition.com you might want to do a search there and read the responses. They weren't generally favorable...if I recall correctly, they were ragging on Rob's interpretation of the science behind it all, or his questionable science.

Bodyrecomposition is Lyle McDonalds forum, he also has books out on carb-cycling diets which makes him a biased source.

I've had great success with NHE and it's cousin the anabolic diet, but then again I'm a young male.

There's a huge thread on T-Nation about the anabolic diet, which is very similar, that IIRC had a couple of women posting good results on it. The thread is huge, but there's loads of great info on it. Here's the link: http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=658379
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 04:47
muscle bound

Any diet that's reasonably well-designed can work if you stick to it. Just maybe not for the reasons the author claims,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokeartst
Bodyrecomposition is Lyle McDonalds forum, he also has books out on carb-cycling diets which makes him a biased source.
If you knew anything about him, you'd know that he's probably the most unbiased "guru" out there. He backs everything he says with research, and if new research changes something, he will state that, too. He's only biased for the "truth". He does sell 'diet books', but he also has a subforum where people can write reviews of other diets, and he's promoted programs designed by others that he felt were valid.

However, if he feels something is stupid, he'll call it, no holds barred,

On NHE-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
Fagin's basic mistake, like so many others, is to still be fixated on this bullshit GH response.

B/c even if GH were anabolic (and it really isn't) it sure as shit isn't anabolic when insulin is low.

Hell, best way to jack up GH is to just starve yourself (see also: bullshit protein cycling).

B/c those starvation victims get freaky huge.

Lyle

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fo...ead.php?t=13649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
if injectio of GH does zero, there is absolutely nothing that a 15' or whatever spike around training is going to do

1: Phys Ther. 1999 Jan;79(1):76-82.

Does growth hormone therapy in conjunction with resistance exercise increase
muscle force production and muscle mass in men and women aged 60 years or older?

Zachwieja JJ, Yarasheski KE.

Exercise and Nutrition Program, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton
Rouge, La., USA.

Improved muscle protein mass and increments in maximum voluntary muscle force
have rarely been observed in men and women aged 60 years and older who were
treated with rhGH. Although rhGH administration has been reported to increase
lean body mass in older men and women, it is doubtful that this increase is
localized to skeletal muscle contractile proteins. When rhGH administration was
combined with 16 weeks of resistance exercises, increases in muscle mass, muscle
protein synthesis, and muscle force were not greater in the rhGH-treated group
than in a weight training group that received placebo injections. Side effects of
rhGH treatment in elderly people are prevalent, not trivial, and further limit
its usefulness as an effective anabolic agent for promoting muscle protein
accretion in men and women.
In particular, the induction of insulin resistance
and carpal tunnel compression reduces the efficacy of rhGH replacement therapy in
elderly individuals. The evidence for a GH-induced increase in human skeletal
muscle protein and maximum voluntary muscle force is weak.
The optimum dose and
GH-replacement paradigm (GHRH, GH-secretagogues) have not been identified.
Whether rhGH therapy improves muscle protein mass and force in individuals with
severe cachexia associated with major trauma, burns, surgery, or muscular
dystrophy is controversial and under investigation.

Publication Types:
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.
Review

PMID: 9920193 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 1994;22:285-312.

Growth hormone effects on metabolism, body composition, muscle mass, and
strength.

Yarasheski KE.

Metabolism Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis,
Missouri.

It is clear that the anthropometric ramifications, especially with respect to
muscle mass, of the metabolic actions of GH and IGF-I treatment in intact and
GH-deficient adults require further study. At present, it appears that daily GH
or IGF-I treatment modestly increases nitrogen retention in most normal adults,
probably by separate but permissive mechanisms, but only for a short period of
time (approximately 1 month). During prolonged GH administration, resistance to
the anabolic actions of GH seems to occur, and optimizing the anabolic effects of
GH or IGF-I treatment will require a better understanding of the interactions
among GH, GHBP, IGF-I production, IGFBPs, the GH dose regimen, and other
unidentified regulatory factors. On the basis of the similar increases in muscle
protein synthesis, muscle cross-sectional area, and muscle strength observed in
placebo and GH-treated exercising young adults, it is doubtful that the nitrogen
retention associated with daily GH treatment results in an increase in
contractile protein, improved muscle function, strength and athletic performance.

Even in catabolic or GH-deficient populations, GH treatment provides only modest
increments in nitrogen retention, muscle size, strength, and exercise capacity.
Further, the side effects of GH treatment (water retention, carpal tunnel
compression, insulin resistance) would be a detriment, rather than an aid, to
athletic performance. In addition, whether prolonged (> 6 months) GH treatment
alone or in combination with other agents used by athletes (e.g., anabolic
steroids, beta-agonists) is associated with other adverse side effects (e.g.,
cancer, diabetes) has not been evaluated. Therefore, health professionals should
continue to discourage the use of GH by exercise enthusiasts.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 7925547 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3: J Appl Physiol. 1993 Jun;74(6):3073-6.

Short-term growth hormone treatment does not increase muscle protein synthesis in
experienced weight lifters.

Yarasheski KE, Zachweija JJ, Angelopoulos TJ, Bier DM.

Metabolism Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis,
Missouri 63110.

The purpose of this study was to determine whether recombinant human growth
hormone (GH) administration enhances muscle protein anabolism in experienced
weight lifters. The fractional rate of skeletal muscle protein synthesis and the
whole body rate of protein breakdown were determined during a constant
intravenous infusion of [13C]leucine in 7 young (23 +/- 2 yr; 86.2 +/- 4.6 kg)
healthy experienced male weight lifters before and at the end of 14 days of
subcutaneous GH administration (40 microgram.kg-1 x day-1). GH administration
increased fasting serum insulin-like growth factor-I (from 224 +/- 20 to 589 +/-
80 ng/ml, P = 0.002) but did not increase the fractional rate of muscle protein
synthesis (from 0.034 +/- 0.004 to 0.034 +/- 0.002%/h) or reduce the rate of
whole body protein breakdown (from 103 +/- 4 to 108 +/- 5 mumol.kg-1 x h-1).
These findings suggest that short-term GH treatment does not increase the rate of
muscle protein synthesis or reduce the rate of whole body protein breakdown,
metabolic alterations that would promote muscle protein anabolism in experienced
weight lifters attempting to further increase muscle mass.

Publication Types:

PMID: 8366011 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: Am J Physiol. 1992 Mar;262(3 Pt 1):E261-7.

Effect of growth hormone and resistance exercise on muscle growth in young men.

Yarasheski KE, Campbell JA, Smith K, Rennie MJ, Holloszy JO, Bier DM.

Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis,
Missouri 63110.

The purpose of this study was to determine whether growth hormone (GH)
administration enhances the muscle anabolism associated with heavy-resistance
exercise. Sixteen men (21-34 yr) were assigned randomly to a resistance training
plus GH group (n = 7) or to a resistance training plus placebo group (n = 9). For
12 wk, both groups trained all major muscle groups in an identical fashion while
receiving 40 micrograms recombinant human GH.kg-1.day-1 or placebo. Fat-free mass
(FFM) and total body water increased (P less than 0.05) in both groups but more
(P less than 0.01) in the GH recipients. Whole body protein synthesis rate
increased more (P less than 0.03), and whole body protein balance was greater (P
= 0.01) in the GH-treated group, but quadriceps muscle protein synthesis rate,
torso and limb circumferences, and muscle strength did not increase more in the
GH-treated group. In the young men studied, resistance exercise with or without
GH resulted in similar increments in muscle size, strength, and muscle protein
synthesis, indicating that 1) the larger increase in FFM with GH treatment was
probably due to an increase in lean tissue other than skeletal muscle and 2)
resistance training supplemented with GH did not further enhance muscle anabolism
and function.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 1550219 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

J Endocrinol Invest. 1999;22(5 Suppl):106-9.Links
Growth hormone and body composition in athletes.
Frisch H.

Department of Pediatrics, University of Vienna, Austria. herwig.frisch~akh-wien.ac.at

The anabolic properties of growth hormone (GH) have been investigated extensively. The effects of GH on normal, hypertrophied and atrophied muscles have been studied previously in animal experiments that demonstrated an increase in muscle weight and size, but no comparable increase in performance or tension. In adults with GH deficiency, the changes in body composition can be corrected by GH treatment; lean body mass and strength increase within a few months. In children with GH deficiency, Turner's syndrome or intrauterine growth retardation, an increase in muscle tissue is seen after treatment with GH. In acromegalics with long-standing GH hypersecretion, the muscle volume is increased, but muscle strength and performance are not improved. These observations gave rise to the interest shown by healthy subjects and athletes in using GH to increase their muscle mass and strength. The improvements in muscle strength obtained by resistance exercise training in healthy older men or young men were not enhanced by additional administration of GH. The larger increases in fat-free mass observed in the GH-treated groups were obviously not due to accretion of contractile protein, but rather to fluid retention or accumulation of connective tissue. In experienced weightlifters, the incorporation of amino acids into skeletal muscle protein was not increased and the rate of whole body protein breakdown was not decreased by short-term administration of GH. The results of a study in power athletes confirm the results of these investigations. The study used GH treatment in power athletes compared with a placebo-control group, and the results indicated no increase in maximal strength during concentric contraction of the biceps and quadriceps muscles, although levels of insulin-like growth factor-I were doubled. In highly trained power athletes with low fat mass and high lean body mass, no additional effect of GH treatment on strength is to be expected.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fo...ead.php?t=26982
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 04:51
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Thanks! That's the kind feedback I was looking for. I'll check out the link.

I am reading everything I can about promoting fat loss while retaining muscle, but most, if not all, of the information seems to apply to young, male athletes. I can't help but wonder how applicable it is to a menopausal non-athlete.

Well, most of it should be applicable--weight training and sufficient protein should work for everyone, regardless of age, hormonal status, etc. The trick is figuring out a routine that will allow max stimulation while dieting, yet provide adequate recovery.

If you're not doing any resistance training, then starting as a newbie will give you the added advantage of being able to gain muscle/lose fat simultaneously.

Check out this thread-
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=348286
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:33

Plan: Low carb, high fat
Stats: 188/188/140 Male 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

~Dane
Quoting studies doesn't impress me the slightest, results do. The fact is that the diet outlined in NHE is great for building muscle while losing fat, many people have used diets like the NHE to achieve great physiques. Vince Gironda used to recommend a similar type of diet to his clients, and built an impressive physique on it himself.

I really don't care if Lyle McDonald, or you, think that's stupid.

As for spending money on the book, one could easily find the guidelines for the actual diet online.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 18:01

BF:

Quote:
weight training and sufficient protein should work for everyone, regardless of age, hormonal status, etc..

I used to believe that, too. But now that I and my friends are entering menopause, it is no longer so clear. I think people just assume that the "old broads" are kidding themselves (or worse, lying) about their diet and exercise. Not so! Things work differently. There are hormonal mysteries that young bodybuilders simply can't understand.

Quote:
If you're not doing any resistance training, then starting as a newbie will give you the added advantage of being able to gain muscle/lose fat simultaneously.

Unfortunately, I'm not really a "newbie" at resistance. I have been following a regime of resistance training (bands not free weights), pilates, and cycling for years. Suddenly, just since full menopause, nothing seems to burn fat anymore. I've developed a buddha belly, almost overnight, and can't get it to budge. I was hoping that through targeted nutrition I could reboot the old growth hormone a little while continuing to suppress insulin with carb restriction.

I have to admit that LD's remark about starvation victims getting "freaky huge" is funny. I have seen so many recommendations for fasting as a way to spur the production of HGH that it started to sound like that to me too

And just for the record, my interest in supplementing HGH through injections or whatever is precisely ZIP ZILCH NADA NOWAY!

Last edited by Nelson : Fri, Feb-29-08 at 18:17.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 04:43
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokeartst
~Dane
Quoting studies doesn't impress me the slightest, results do. The fact is that the diet outlined in NHE is great for building muscle while losing fat, many people have used diets like the NHE to achieve great physiques. Vince Gironda used to recommend a similar type of diet to his clients, and built an impressive physique on it himself.

I really don't care if Lyle McDonald, or you, think that's stupid.

As for spending money on the book, one could easily find the guidelines for the actual diet online.

From my post above-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
Any diet that's reasonably well-designed can work if you stick to it. Just maybe not for the reasons the author claims,
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 06:02
muscle bound

Quote:
I used to believe that, too. But now that I and my friends are entering menopause, it is no longer so clear. I think people just assume that the "old broads" are kidding themselves (or worse, lying) about their diet and exercise. Not so! Things work differently. There are hormonal mysteries that young bodybuilders simply can't understand.

Unfortunately, I'm not really a "newbie" at resistance. I have been following a regime of resistance training (bands not free weights), pilates, and cycling for years. Suddenly, just since full menopause, nothing seems to burn fat anymore. I've developed a buddha belly, almost overnight, and can't get it to budge. I was hoping that through targeted nutrition I could reboot the old growth hormone a little while continuing to suppress insulin with carb restriction.
Ahhh! I getcha. Actually, what you're describing is something I read about frequently on 2 of my fitness boards. At www.beyondlowcarb.net (BLC) you'll find a lot of great information covering exactly what you're talking about, and women dealing with same. On Lyle's board, there has also been recent discussion about it. Hormones defintiely have an impact, and low carbing (without going too low, say <50gC) seems to help.

Quote:
And just for the record, my interest in supplementing HGH through injections or whatever is precisely ZIP ZILCH NADA NOWAY!
The point of the studies was to show that if results with injectable HGH are minimal, imagine what impact trying to maximize physiological pulses would have. Not very much.

Supplementing with DHEA, progesterone, etc., though, is something that might have merit. There are a few threads at BLC where some women are trying that.

Nelson, how old are you?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 12:44

BF:

Quote:
Ahhh! I getcha. Actually, what you're describing is something I read about frequently on 2 of my fitness boards. At www.beyondlowcarb.net (BLC) you'll find a lot of great information covering exactly what you're talking about, and women dealing with same. On Lyle's board, there has also been recent discussion about it. Hormones defintiely have an impact, and low carbing (without going too low, say <50gC) seems to help.

The point of the studies was to show that if results with injectable HGH are minimal, imagine what impact trying to maximize physiological pulses would have. Not very much.

Supplementing with DHEA, progesterone, etc., though, is something that might have merit. There are a few threads at BLC where some women are trying that.

Nelson, how old are you?

Thanks for the link! That looks like just the resource I need. I have definitely bookmarked the site.

As for my age, I am 55 years old and only 5 feet tall. My weight stays in the healthy range now, but I really have to work to stay there--my whole family struggles with obesity. My highest weight was 153 in high school and my lowest was 112 in my early, premenopausal, days of LC. The difference between 112 and 115 seems unimportant, but when all 3 lbs gather right around your navel it really feels and looks bad.

By the way, I see what you (and Macdonald) are saying about HGH having no dramatic impact on muscle building, but what about fat burning? Could smallish increases in HGH make it easier to mobilize fat stores, even if there is little or no increase in muscle bulk? I have read a lot about how insulin stores fat and suppresses fat-burning, but low insulin alone doesn't promote fat burning. And neither does exercise, it seems! So what does?

Last edited by Nelson : Sat, Mar-01-08 at 12:53.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 08:30
muscle bound

At BLC we have several ladies in their 50's lifting and dealing with similar problems--Galatia (posts here, too) and Sona would be two posters that might be helpful to you--they have journals/gym logs there. Sona especially, as she's about the same height/weight/age as you, too.
Quote:
By the way, I see what you (and Macdonald) are saying about HGH having no dramatic impact on muscle building, but what about fat burning? Could smallish increases in HGH make it easier to mobilize fat stores, even if there is little or no increase in muscle bulk?
From what I understand about HGH, yes, it can promote fat loss, but you have to take greater amounts than what you're producing naturally. Here's an article that may be helpful-
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fo...ead.php?t=13034
Quote:
I have read a lot about how insulin stores fat and suppresses fat-burning, but low insulin alone doesn't promote fat burning. And neither does exercise, it seems! So what does?
Well, being in a negative energy balance will promote fat burning. In between meals, you'll be in fat-burning mode, to supply your body with energy. If your overall caloric intake is in a deficit, you'll burn excess body fat.

The trick is establishing the deficit, and this is where hormones can screw you up. Certain processes (like menopause) can lower the level of energy you need to maintain, making you have to either cut cals or move more to establish that deficit.

That said, I believe that there is some research that high intensity exercise (like HIIT) can induce pulses of HGH, but if you're eating more calories than you need on average, this isn't going to make any difference for you.

Lyle's site is a good one to do searches for info. Just be sure when you are inputting your search info, you check the little box that says "show results as posts", rather than threads, or you'll end up with lots of gym logs to wade through.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 14:15

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

For the record, I've got the book: bought and read it. But for the life of me, I can't remember much of it at all.
I've not adopted Faigin's advice to not take carbs during or post workout since this will raise cortisol too much. What good is raised GH when your cortisol levels go too high.
But he did pique my interest in eating more carbs at night, and I'm eating more carbs at night now and have intentionally moved workouts to later in the day. Most carbs however, get eaten the night before a workout, since glycogen gets filled while being asleep = less carb cravings.

I might look into NHE again to see if I missed on important details, but frankly can't really recommend the book if I don't even remember much at all. I've read all of Lyle's books except one (his last protein book) and remember their details more clearly, even when I'd read them longer ago.