Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 09:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/137/125 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Throwing up after workouts

I have been a low carber for years and always worked out but my workouts are more intense now. I joined Gold's Gym a couple of months ago and I have a personal trainer. She put together a workout routine for me that includes one hour of cardio one day and one hour of weights the next with one day off a week. She had me on a high calorire high carb diet that I didn't feel good on, so I went back to low carb. Anyway, I have been getting sick to my stomach after my spin class (one hour of intense cardio). I actually threw up last night after I came home and ate a burger with cheese (no bun of course). I ate some celery with sunflower butter an hour before my workout for a carb boost. Do you think I am getting too far into ketosis durning my workout? I feel yucky when I eat too many carbs and start to binge out of control so I have to be very careful. How many carbs should I eat when working out so much to keep me feeling good but still losing weight? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Vicki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 14:34
You HAVE to WANT it!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 173.4/166.6/129 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 15%

My thought would be to eat some pre-workout carbs and see if that helps. I have friends that have them before and I know that helps them. Just a thought
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 15:27
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

You may need easily absorbed carbs. Celery and butter ain't gonna do it for you. Hammer Nutrition products are made with maltodextrin. This gets into the blood without stimulating insulin. At least that's what I've heard.

Vomiting during or after exercise often means not enough sodium in the blood. Everyone is salt-phobic these days. Ty some Hammer Gel and add salt now and then to a meal.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 20:40

BF:

Thanks for your help! What is Hammer Gel?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 21:58

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

You may also want to eat earlier so that there isn't too much food in your stomach. I know some folks who carb up the night before their workout and that seems to help.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 03:48
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Yeah, I agree--try more carbs pre-workout, about an hour before. Then give your body a chance to settle after, before having your next meal--maybe another hour? You'll have to experiment.

One of my fave pre/post workout meals are protein waffles. Made from cottage cheese, egg whites, oats; you can make a big batch all at once, freeze the extras. Then just pop in a toaster to defrost/heat, or let it thaw on the counter. Top with a spoonful of your favorite jam. This makes a nice combination of "fast" and "slow" carbs plus protein. Lite so it doesn't sit heavy in your stomach.

From here:
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007...rotein-waffles/

Quote:
How many carbs should I eat when working out so much to keep me feeling good but still losing weight?
I usually do about 20-30gC pre workout, with about 20gP, but it's all individual--that's just the amount my waffle w/jam comes out to,

As for not gaining weight--as long as you account for the carb calories in your daily total, and you're not overeating total calories for your maintenance level, you won't gain weight.

You might wanna do a search here (and on the net) and read up on TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet) to give you more info on integrating carbs/exercise/LC dieting.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 15:09
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvgreys
Thanks for your help! What is Hammer Gel?

http://www.hammernutrition.com/

Very popular with ultramarathoners and triathletes
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-07, 08:06

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Throwing up usually means high lactate levels..your body is going through an adjustment to the increased intensity level of your workout...seen it happen a million times over myself included.. and I have seen pro athletes vomit after a hard set of squats...your body will adjust

Alot of people truly think they work out hard,but when they get a trainer who pushes them to the limit then some will see some vomitting and I have seen some fainting as well.

Maltodextrin is known as a "insulin secretion stimulator".

At this point, I would go really easy on the food and the carbs preworkout...have a small whey shake or something to tide you over if you need it..or workout on an empty stomach.

I did that and still had the dry heaves.

I'm not so sure that an hour of cardio and an hour of weights is ideal..that is alot of work..one or the other is going to suffer.

But if time is the issue,then you have to do what you have to do
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 16:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Throwing up usually means high lactate levels..your body is going through an adjustment to the increased intensity level of your workout...seen it happen a million times over myself included.. and I have seen pro athletes vomit after a hard set of squats...your body will adjust

Alot of people truly think they work out hard,but when they get a trainer who pushes them to the limit then some will see some vomitting and I have seen some fainting as well.

Maltodextrin is known as a "insulin secretion stimulator".

At this point, I would go really easy on the food and the carbs preworkout...have a small whey shake or something to tide you over if you need it..or workout on an empty stomach.

I did that and still had the dry heaves.

I'm not so sure that an hour of cardio and an hour of weights is ideal..that is alot of work..one or the other is going to suffer.

But if time is the issue,then you have to do what you have to do

Thanks! Actually I meant to say I do an hour of cardio one day and then weights the next day. I only feel sick after the cardio. I did think I was in shape before I worked with a trainer and realized I don't push myself like she pushes me!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 21:21

BF:
Progress:

Iluvgreys..that is great, I always believed one should not do cardio on the same day that they work out.

Very intense weightlifting with heavy weights and little rest between sets can be very taxing on the cardiovascular system..more so than doing an hour of cardio.

People really aren't working out as hard as they believe to be..I am one of those. I had a great, world reknown trainer put me through hell for 8 weeks. I now know what it means to workout hard..very few do.

That kindof training produces the fastest results and I did no cardio..none.

But it did take me about 4 workouts to be able to keep my post workout shake from ending up in the parking lot.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-07, 07:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I had the opportunity to weight train with a professional lady bodybuilder many years ago. I thought I knew what training hard was all about....until that day.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-07, 09:59
You HAVE to WANT it!

BF:

How is it going? Anything helping?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-07, 21:22

BF:
Progress:

Galatia..isn't it something?? I made great progress on my own,but nothing like the progress I made in a few very intense weeks of brutal training...
Having someone on your butt pushing you for more..and then more is a test of ones will.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 10:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki67
How is it going? Anything helping?

I have not been sick since! I try to eat more carbs (big salad) at lunch and then workout on an empty stomach. Then I wait for an hour after my workout to eat dinner.

Thanks everyone!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 10:35
You HAVE to WANT it!

BF:

Oh, were you working out right after eating? I so cannot do that, I would definitely get sick every time