Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 07:43

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Choosing eating abstemiously or choosing food with entertainment value?

I have noticed over many years, that, it seems to me, many like to eat according to one of the following three categories:

- a set diet according to parameters based on well-thought-out reasons

- a varied diet with what I call "entertainment value"

- some combination of those two categories.

(Have I left out a category? Of course, if someone has a severe illness or condition, that determines a new set of parameters.)

What determines which one a person chooses? Is the thinking based in the way someone's brain is "wired", or in body type? What is the background underlying preferences?

I read a study once, from Italy, that the way a person perceives taste, texture, and smell is genetically determined.

Is choice of food plan similar?

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 07:56

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I live in an all inclusive Hacienda in Mexico. We are served buffet style two meals a day, six days a week. I have no say, but I'm happy healthy food is of major concern. So at each meal I must forego the bread, pasta, rice and maybe potatoes to choose only the low carb selections that are available. At breakfast I'm able to ask for fried eggs instead of the blueberry pancakes or oatmeal, fruit and yogurt that I would love. So I am of first group with set dietary items to select. I have found that entertainment foods get me in trouble.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 08:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I eat to optimize my health not for entertainment. I don't seek out variety but am very satisfied with my limited menu. It all tastes good but that is a secondary consideration.

From a Buddhist before meal verse:

Quote:
By seeing food as medicine, I will consume it without attachment or hatred, not to increase my arrogance, strength, or good looks, but solely to sustain my life.

That's pretty much my attitude.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 12:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I sort of like to eat for pleasure in such a way that it doesn't compromise my health. Pleasure is both the enjoyment and the satisfaction afterward, pizza will give me the first but not the second, bacon and eggs will give me both.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 13:46

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

In the simplest possible terms, I eat what I have learned works best for me. So primarily, things that have enabled me to lose weight and keep it off, but I also need to like the taste of the food I eat as well. Historically the latter has meant the exclusion of things like avocado or bacon, but lately I've been working on different ways to enjoy them in my diet as well, for variety's sake.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-05-18, 15:58

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I choose foods based on the nutrients the food provides, but I love creating dishes that meet my body's needs.
For example, I'm obsessed with Korean bowls, and recently made a Bimbibap using cauliflower as a base. I topped it with bulgogi chicken, kimchi, seaweed strips, etc..... So I met my goals for protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc... But using a fun, new dish. I like getting variety, but always evaluate foods based on the nutritional content.