Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 12:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Question about the nutrition in yogurt

I've read that the sugar count on yogurt actually reflects the lactose in the milk used in the making of the yogurt but that the culturing process changes that lactose to lactase and the actual sugar count would be less than half in the yogurt itself.

Now my question is: Are the live probiotics listed on Greek yogurt actually in the original making of the yogurt and could they be drained off when changing the regular yogurt to Greek style yogurt. I know that when I drain regular plain yogurt, the whey is very bitter. I also know that fermented foods are also very bitter. Could it be I am losing all the probiotics by draining my yogurt?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-15, 19:14
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default Bulgarian full fat yogurt

I am totally sold on Bulgarian yog for the taste, a local HFS sells a H Quality qt for $6. worth it, and I just made a new batch using some as starter

I use the yog in shakes with hemp protein/kale/cukes.

The whey, I believe, is not the important probiotic carrier)
this may NOT answer your question:

Does The Yogurt Diet Actually Work?
September 28, 2012
The original Yogurt Diet is a health and weight loss program that was developed by nutritionist Ana Lugue. The basis of her diet is the fact that many common chronic diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and obesity are caused largely by poor diets. She believes that an inadequate intake of nutrients and good bacteria rather than excess calories is more of a contributor to those chronic diseases. By consuming three servings of yogurt a day, Lugue says your body will get the nutrients and good bacteria needed to help you lose weight and keep it off.
Yogurt provides your body with calcium, protein, vitamins and probiotics.

Probiotics are some of those healthy bacteria. Probiotics help bolster the bacteria that naturally found in your body and can help ward off harmful bacteria. They also help keep your body’s digestive system running smoothly.
Research has shown that adding three servings of yogurt to your daily diet can help boost fat and weight loss. Some yogurt diets focus on just eating yogurt alone and cutting out all other foods, but by following Lugue’s diet of adding three servings of yogurt to a low-fat, reduced calorie diet, you will be following the best yogurt diet available.

Start by eliminating all foods that could be causing harm to your body. These includes things like processed foods, sugar and refined carbs. Replace those foods with whole grains, fruits, vegetables and of course yogurt. Look for whole-milk yogurts, low-fat and plain. Avoid yogurts that have added sugars and flavors. Eat a 4 to 5 ounce serving of yogurt 3 to 4 times a days, either before or after a meal, or as one of your snacks. Combining yogurt with clean living will provide the needed nutrients your body needs to lose weight fast.
Greek yogurt is a great alternative to regular yogurt because of its high protein content and fat-free nature. Greek yogurt contains up to twice the amount of protein as regular yogurts, and because of its natural thick and creamy texture, no thickeners like gelatin are added – making it a natural satisfying snack. Besides enjoying it as yogurt, you can use Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream in dips and in most baking recipes – reducing the amount of fat in the recipes and providing your body with extra nutrients.

If you hate plain yogurt – you can follow the fruit yogurt diet by adding fresh fruit to your yogurt. By adding fresh fruit such as peaches, strawberries and blueberries you get the added nutrients of the fruit, sweetening your yogurt naturally. Avoid buying yogurts that have sweeteners already added to them because those sweeteners usually contain high amounts of sugar – thus diminishing the healthy benefits of the yogurt itself and adding extra, empty calories to your body.
Following the yogurt diet by adding three servings of yogurt to your daily meals can help boost your weight loss and help you prevent chronic disease such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes and gastrointestinal diseases. Besides being full of proteins, carbohydrates and healthy fats, yogurt contains a high amount of probiotic bacteria, which is imperative for proper digestion and ultimate health.

You can purchase Luque’s book on Amazon for a complete explanation on how the yogurt diet can benefit your body and help you lose weight. The book does a great job of clearly explaining how the digestive system works and why bacterial balance is imperative for you body to function properly. The book also includes 5 weeks of delicious menus made from combinations of foods that will help you lose weight. The recipes also include 90 different dessert options that will replace your favorite junk foods and curb your sweet tooth, by using yogurt as an ingredient substitute.
If you follow the yogurt diet eating rules and implement a regular exercise routine into your daily habits, you will find that weight loss will become easier and your body will function properly – making you feel better. You will not only be able to lose weight, but can help your body build defenses against chronic diseases that are plaguing society.
reference from: creativebioscience.com ( I have no interest in them FYI)