Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-12, 09:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Iodine primer

Dr. William Davis has an interesting post about iodine and its possible connection to weight, in addition to thyroid.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/07/an-iodine-primer

Just recently I began supplementing with iodine and selenium, after my cholesterol started to rise on very low carb and thyroid function may not be optimal. Also realized by using natural sea salt and a vitamin and mineral supplement without iodine, that my consumption was very low. He is recommending amounts much higher than what is in the Thyroid Support formula I purchased.

Does anyone supplement as he suggests?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-12, 10:12

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I have started supplementing because my thyroid does not work propperly. I bought a Iodine/Iodide supplament, I don't know if it works or not, hasn't been long enough. I made the mistake and told my Dr and she threw a fit, told me my Iodine levels were fine and supplamenting will only screw with my meds.

I didn't stop, I don't like her sudden attach attitude about it. I think she needs informed.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-12, 11:47

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I have an enlarged thyroid but also have Hashimoto's which presumably is why my internist told me NOT to take iodine as Dr. Davis mentions that too.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-12, 11:50

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

My Dr told me that if my thyroid meds is working at all, they that shows I'm not defficiant on iodine. Apparently, Iodine made the meds work? I thought the iodine makes the thryoid work. I have hypothyrism..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-12, 06:17

I don't know about iodine "made the meds work"..maybe need to ask that on thyroid forum? But with more reading yesterday, decided to take a kelp supplement, but then I don't take any thyroid meds. trying to support it naturally and would stay in the 500-1000mcg range Dr. Davis suggests.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-12, 07:40

Dr. Davis posted this answer to "Rosemary" in the comments section, July 9th:

Please poke around in these comments for a discussion similar to yours re:iodine replacement in people with Hashimoto’s.

The doses I am talking about virtually never cause toxicity. I have witnessed toxicity a number of times in people who were taking the Iodoral or equivalent preparation at doses of 6500 mcg (6.5 mg) or more per day. Iodine toxicity is manifested as hypothyroidism.

Radioactive iodine is often used to knock out the thyroid in Grave’s thyroiditis, a not very nice treatment. It’s not iodine that is toxic in this case, but the radiation.

52 comments so far, Dr. Davis has answered a number of questions about iodine and thyroid...worth reading through them.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jul-10-12 at 07:45.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 07:12

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the heads up on this, btw, even though the whole thyroid issue really defeats me. I'm tired of wondering how much or even if I should second guess my doctor.

Mary Shoman advises caution about iodine if you have Hashimoto's. She says to be tested and I will definitely ask my doc about that next time I see him. This is a succinct article on the subject:

What Happens if a Hashimoto’s Patient Takes Iodine Supplements?

Some people find that they have an “iodine crash”, where the thyroid enlarges (becomes “angry”), is extremely tender, and the whole body becomes shaky and exhausted for several days. Luckily the reaction is normally so severe – and obvious – that you would be unlikely to repeat the experiment. If you ever find yourself having a strong reaction to a supplement, check whether it contains iodine – often included in the form of a seaweed such as dulse or kelp. Some multivitamins include iodine.

Read more at Suite101: Iodine and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Should I Be Supplementing with Iodine? | Suite101.com http://suite101.com/article/iodine-...0#ixzz20JlreGBa

I also recall being cautioned against kelp as it contains a lot of glutamate which I have learned is contraindicated for me in terms of depression. I first read about that on a website about magnesium, stress and depression by George Eby.

Just looked up the kelp glutamate connection and found a link to my own post from some years back on another board. 7 years ago. Wow. Perhaps still good info:

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/alter/...sgs/571352.html

I respect Dr. Davis, especially as he has thyroid issues himself and now I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't be avoiding iodine altogether. I don't got out of my way not to eat iodized salt but I do make sure it's not in my multi vit.

I've had an ultrasound and a biopsy of my thyroid for possible cancer. It was not per path report, but there were all kinds of abnormal findings including something my doc said he would have to call the pathology department for clarification on. Not really understanding this stuff really aggravates me.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 09:32

Sorry to hear you have abnormal test results and understand your frustration. Just the string of this test is good, no this other test is better, drives me crazy when get into thyroid info.
But there are some regular posters on the thyroid forum who might suggest some resources and help. All the best. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 11:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Radioactive iodine is often used to knock out the thyroid in Grave’s thyroiditis, a not very nice treatment. It’s not iodine that is toxic in this case, but the radiation.
[/I]

I had that done. It basically renders your thyroid nonfunctional.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 11:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
My Dr told me that if my thyroid meds is working at all, they that shows I'm not defficiant on iodine. Apparently, Iodine made the meds work? I thought the iodine makes the thryoid work. I have hypothyrism..

You body needs iodine to make thyroid hormone. The thyroid hormone uses iodine molecules. If you don't have iodine in your body, you can't make the thyroid hormone.

But taking iodine if you have Hashi's can be bad. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease, so it might step up the body's attack on itself in some way.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 16:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Just to sow more confusion, there's this Iodine Reference doc. on the web. Particularly interesting is all the supplements the document claims is required for its protocol and is recommendation not to use seaweed-based products due to ocean pollution.

I added a few drops of liquid kelp (600 mcg) to my water bottle yesterday, because I have a few hypothyroid symptoms:
  • loss of outer eyebrows
  • hands and feet that get cold until the temp is about 76F
  • elevated cholesterol and LDL
I made the mistake of not taking the recommended supplements. Result: I got hot, am staying hot, and I'm a bit shaky. I'm not sure what I'll do next. The recommended supplements are expensive, and I'm not working now.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Mon, Jul-16-12 at 16:33.