Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-07, 19:04

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Help, I feel like Im starving all the time!

I quit about 1 month ago, and I've been fighting my appetite ever since. I've already gained about 5 pounds and I know I've been averaging a few hundred calories more than usual when I actually need to be cutting down some! I'm keeping carbs below 20, trying intermittent fasting on some days (doesn't seem to make a difference), trying to drink water like crazy, and trying to walk more whenever I have time.

I hate feeling ravenous all the time! Will it go away? How long does this last?

Has anyone had any luck with Hoodia or any other appetite suppressant? I'm really scared of gaining lots of weight! Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 12:16

BF:
Default update...

Since I really doubt I'm the only one who's gone/going through this, here's an update:

The urge to eat everything that isn't nailed down really *does* get better after a few weeks, and I feel pretty normal most of the time now (it's been 6 weeks I quit). I'm still eating a little more than I used to - about 100 kcals/day average since my quit (yes I've been tracking everything really closely in my FitDay). Unfortunately I've already gained a lot more weight than I'd expect from the extra calories - about 7 pounds in those 6 short weeks! And even more unfortunately, it all seems to have packed right onto my hips, butt and thighs, and my pants are getting really tight. I'm quite dismayed since I've kept my net carbs at about 20 this entire time and I was hoping I'd do better than this.

I've just read that nicotine depresses the activity of the enzyme lipoprotein-lipase, which is what activates fat cells to store energy (grow more fat), and that quitting smoking increases LPL activity and that may be what causes all-too-common quit-smoking weight gain. Women have more LPL receptors on the adipose tissues of the hips/butt/thighs while men tend to have them on the midsection. So far I'm fitting this pattern to a T. Any comments on this?

I've also read that CLA may inhibit LPL activity, so I'm going to pick some up and see if it can stop this scary rapid weight gain I'm experiencing. It didn't do much for me when I tried it once before, but maybe my circumstances are different now. I'll let y'all know if it works.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 15:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I've just read that nicotine depresses the activity of the enzyme lipoprotein-lipase, which is what activates fat cells to store energy (grow more fat), and that quitting smoking increases LPL activity and that may be what causes all-too-common quit-smoking weight gain. Women have more LPL receptors on the adipose tissues of the hips/butt/thighs while men tend to have them on the midsection. So far I'm fitting this pattern to a T. Any comments on this?

It may be partly that, but it's also because nicotine artificially increases your metabolism by about 10% so when you quit the nic, your metabolic rate dropped. In short, you're not burning as many calories per day now as you were as a smoker and you are experiencing your 'real' metabolism.
The answer to that particular problem is to either slightly cut your caloric intake or increase your exercise (or a combination of both).
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 19:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
... nicotine artificially increases your metabolism by about 10% ...<snip>... you're not burning as many calories per day now as you were as a smoker and you are experiencing your 'real' metabolism.

Well, so how long does it usually take for the initial gain to plateau out?

Over 1 lb/week seems like more than a 10% metabolic slow-down to me! At this rate I'll be quite overweight soon at 1800 kcals and <20 net carbs/day. I'll have to cut to <1300 (more with extra exercise) to maintain. That just doesn't seem like a natural metabolism at all! That's why I think there's something biochemical at work and that my metabolism is really messed-up right now from quitting.

I read about the LPL (and other hormones) effects in Taubes new book this morning and it makes sense to me. If it's true for me than I just hope the supps might do a little damage control. I'm trying to cut calories and exercise more too but I'm scared it won't to be enough to offset this fast gain.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 18:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

There's more going on than just a dip in metabolic rate to be sure, but the point I was trying to make is to not get focused on *just one* possible cause/cure for the situation since it's a package deal; lowered metabolic rate, hormone changes and your body repairing tissues damaged by smoking.
Kicking an addiction is traumatic for your body, as positive as the changes may be in the long run, and the healing process takes time; there may be some water retention as well.
I gained about 5 pounds when I quit and didn't just keep gaining so things do even out over the space of 1 or two months.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-07, 06:16

BF:

Well, the research is real so we'll find out if dealing with this problem helps. It does makes sense to me that a lot of the cravings/weight gain may actually be due to the body failing to utilize fatty acids correctly in absense of nicotine, but whatever. If I learn of anything else I'll try to address it too and of course do the usual eat less/exercise more approach.

It's really good to hear that the sudden weight gain doesn't just keep going and going for some people. If I can just go a few weeks now without gaining 1lb/week I'll start feeling better though.