Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 23:56

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/182/140 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 16%
Question Premaintenance? or not yet?

Ladies and gents of the LC world,

I am a returning old member.. I come back today with 10 lbs from goal (more or less). I'm 142, hoping to be 132-135.
I lost approximately 80 lbs, over 3 years - intermittently, and now with the goal in sight, I'm sick of "dieting"..

When I say "dieting" I mean doing the Atkins induction. I never got to OWL out of fear.. since the nearest carb triggers binging and at least a month off track..

I'm trying to be very cautious, I had an Atkins candy bar a week ago and I fell off the wagon until today.. I am VERY sensitive to carbs its crazy!

So how and when to approach pre maintenance? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 01:13
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
When I say "dieting" I mean doing the Atkins induction. I never got to OWL out
of fear.. since the nearest carb triggers binging and at least a month off
track..

The first thing I would ask you is...when you began adding back carbs did you follow the carb ladder or add in carbs willy nilly at YOUR preference?

We see this time and time again--individuals who stay on induction levels of carbs thru out their entire journey and then when they have either reached goal or are close to goal--they start to add in carbs and panic because they may see a weight gain.

My advice would be to dust off your copy of Atkins, find the chapter on OWL and the carb ladder and follow it. SLOWLY. That way you will be able to determine those foods that are triggers and what your CCL and CCM is.

You may also be pleasantly surprised and find that your weight does continue to drop and not at the expense of staying at induction levels of carbs. Many people find that by adding in the right carbs they have a new found momentum in their weight loss.

You may want to check out this thread to get you started.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=409812

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

PS--congratulations on your 80 pound loss!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 01:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I never did, like you I stayed on induction. As I neared my goal I asked advice from another low carber who said why stop?? So I didnt. I actually went a few pounds below my target weight, but then the weight loss stopped on its own. I stayed with how I was eating and at that weight for a few years til I decided to add a few carbs - and then a few more until I put a fair bit of weight back on and here I am, back on induction with no intention of stopping this time. So my advice would be to carry on - maybe add a few extra low carb things on special occasions but keep it strict???? why change if you're enjoying what you eat?

Jo xxx
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-12, 05:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimby30
I'm trying to be very cautious, I had an Atkins candy bar a week ago and I fell off the wagon until today.. I am VERY sensitive to carbs its crazy!

So how and when to approach pre maintenance? Any advice?
My advice? Steer clear of the frankenfoods! I'm sure you're probably not sensitive to REAL food carbs such as veggies, fruit, etc., just those that are processed rubbish.

Remember, just because it's got 'Atkins' on the label, doesn't mean that it's any good for us:

Quote:
Atkins Nutritionals
Endulge Candy Bars, Caramel Nut Chew

Ingredients: Milk chocolate flavored coating (maltitol, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, sodium caseinate, milk fat, soy lecithin, sucralose, natural and artificial flavor, salt), roasted peanuts, maltitol syrup, whey protein isolate, inulin, polydextrose, water, butter (cream, salt), palm kernel oil, peanut butter (peanuts, mono and diglycerides, salt, mixed tocopherols), nonfat dry milk, soy lecithin, salt, natural and artificial flavor, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, neotame.

http://www.netrition.com/atkins_end...e.html#NUTFACTS

Last edited by Demi : Sun, Nov-25-12 at 05:27.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-12, 08:20

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

I'm another one who doesn't really feel the need to add back the carbs, I'm quite happy eating this way.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-13, 23:14

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

I am 9 lbs from my goal. This is my third try with Atkins...the other times I lost but could not maintain. This time I am not in any rush, just want to lose it and keep it off. Sort of transitioning slowly into Pre-maintenance but not like the books. My CCL seems to be about 30NC...so really can't do much of the increase 10nc thing. Guess I'll just steady on.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-13, 01:47

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
The first thing I would ask you is...when you began adding back carbs did you follow the carb ladder or add in carbs willy nilly at YOUR preference?

We see this time and time again--individuals who stay on induction levels of carbs thru out their entire journey and then when they have either reached goal or are close to goal--they start to add in carbs and panic because they may see a weight gain.

My advice would be to dust off your copy of Atkins, find the chapter on OWL and the carb ladder and follow it. SLOWLY. That way you will be able to determine those foods that are triggers and what your CCL and CCM is.

You may also be pleasantly surprised and find that your weight does continue to drop and not at the expense of staying at induction levels of carbs. Many people find that by adding in the right carbs they have a new found momentum in their weight loss.

You may want to check out this thread to get you started.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=409812

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

PS--congratulations on your 80 pound loss!

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with the above!!! Add in unprocessed, natural foods per the carb ladder SLOWLY. Specific foods may not work for you. My triggers for weight gain and cravings include Greek yogurt, cottage cheese (actually any dairy in large amounts), cherries and Maltitol (though not unprocessed or natural ). I can eat most other fruits, most veggies (including potatoes in small amounts), and even rice and beans and tortilla chips in small amounts. But I added all non-induction foods slowly, one at a time, over time. It's a pain, but in the long run it's the only way to ensure you actually know what <you> can eat to maintain....because we are all individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
My advice? Steer clear of the frankenfoods! I'm sure you're probably not sensitive to REAL food carbs such as veggies, fruit, etc., just those that are processed rubbish.

Remember, just because it's got 'Atkins' on the label, doesn't mean that it's any good for us:

Agreed again. I find that most processed foods cause me problems. I can't do bars and I can't do low carb store bought ice cream, for instance. I look at the ingredient list and if it's more than a couple of items long I don't even bother reading the ingredients because those types of foods normally cause weight gain and/or cravings. It's not JUST about the number of carbs. You have to take into account the ingredients as well. Stinks, but it is what it is.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-13, 09:45

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

I have finally figured out what I suspect kept derailing me previously from maintaining my weight loss on Atkins. Because I was so wheat and potato addicted, I took it that since they are on the upper rungs, as soon as I hit goal that is what I would start adding. At first, I would be ok but before long...there I was eating the same junk. Then throw in some stress, etc. and voila...back in the old carb addiction cycle. So have decided this time (8lbs from goal) to forego both wheat and potatoes. Slowly, not every day, I am adding a higher carb fruits and not having a problem. When I go back and read the books...shoot... I was supposed to go slowly anyway. There is just some sort of euphoria that sets in when you start looking good again and have accomplished your goal that says, "I am invincable"!
New goal...not a particular number but being able to maintain and make this a healthy life commitment.