Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 21:45

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 190/186/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Quit Smoking, Gained 10 LBS, Now on Atkins

Hello, I quit smoking using the Nicoderm patch on November 15th.
So far I have "kept the quit". I did gain approx. 10 lbs., but I always do gain 10 lbs. for the winter.

This is the way I looked at it. I had smoked for almost 30 years, and had gotten fat while smoking. So, the theory that you are going to gain lots of weight when quitting smoking is wrong as far as I am concerned.

I used lifesavers to get through my "wanting" times. That was after I quit using the patch. It has now been 4 1/2 months since I quit and now it is time to get this weight off, and I have decided to go the LC way. I tried the counting calories for the month of January. Did 1500 a day. No dice, no loss of even 1/2 lb. So, then I tried Herbalife for a month, lost 5 lbs., then gained it all back the 4th week, so now starting in April I am changing my eating habits for the last time. I plan on Dr. Atkins & myself having a very long lasting relationship.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 16:47

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 306/298/160 Female 5', 5"
BF:BMI: 49.2/49.2/24
Progress: 5%

Nancy...CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It's very hard to quit smoking, but once you're ready to do it, you can do it for life. I've been a non-smoker for a little over 3 years now. It's amazing to be able to say that, considering I never thought I would be able to do this. Congratulations on 4 months!

And...welcome to Low Carbing. I wish you all the luck and success in both of your ventures.

We're all rooting for you!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 10:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/174/130
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile

I'm with you on the quitting smoking and the low carbing. I started low carbing last year and got off about 12 pounds. I quit smoking 2/1/2 and gained it all back by this week. I started back to low carbing yesterday. I feel better today. I never went back to eating bread, but I was eating a lot of sugar and ice cream and low-carb bars. Now my plan is to stay away from all of that and eat the way I learned to last fall.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 19:50

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 190/186/150
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Beth, Good for you on both counts, quitting smoking, and going back to low carbs. I figure the not smoking really outweighs the being overweight. I know eventually I will get this weight off, it just takes time. Too bad it doesn't come off as fast as it goes on.

Hang tough, don't puff!!!